Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't think I've contributed on here before, but last November I went on a workshop in Scotland with Colin Prior, the great landscape photographer.

The workshop was followed by a film crew and the resulting programme is being shown on Monday at 8pm on BBC2 Scotland (channel 970 on Sky and FreeSat. It will also be on iPlayer in HD after broadcast. I've seen the programme on a preview channel and it's brilliant (despite me featuring in it!).

Hopefully, this link will take you to the preview on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/adventureshow/videos/10154650303378348/

If you watch the programme, I'm interviewed somewhere around 18 minutes in and one of my photos is featured (and is over Adrian Hollister's left shoulder when he's introducing our exhibition).

Enjoy!

Oh. It's called "Colin Prior Mountain Man"

I haven't got around to watching it yet but here is the Iplayer link :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...colin-prior-mountain-man-north-west-highlands

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Just found out one of my photos has been shortlisted for the British Wildlife Photography Awards 2017 :)
Don't hold out a lot of hope as there are some seriously good wildlife photographers out there but nice to be shortlisted.
attachment.php

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
About six years' ago, I posted on this thread about wanting to improve my photography and felt in awe of some of the amazing photos uploaded to here by Kneon Light and Smirko to mention only a few. I stated that I didn't understand hardly any of the buttons on my Nikon D80 and always shot on automatic mode. I've consciously made the effort to learn how to use the camera settings and now understand the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO. My progress has been slow but steady. I developed an unhealthy interest in macro photography, already having an affection for butterflies. It has been this week when I thought, YES! You've got the hang of it!! After lots of disappointments, I feel I have reached the stage with butterflies that Kneon has reached with his birds. Isn't it nice when you finally get the hang of something!
You may wish to see my Butterfly / Insect Flickr album, and see the progress I believe I've made over the years, with the photos being in chronological order, with the most recent first. https://www.flickr.com/photos/128321708@N03/albums/72157649396241380
I've posted this not just to show off my photos, but to give hope to anyone who thinks their photography could be better. Keep this thread alive and keep posting your pictures if you like them. If you like them, the chances are that a lot of other people will.
Here's a funny green fly thingy I took this week.

Attachments

• Green Fly NSC.JPG
    Green Fly NSC.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 127

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Blimey Jack, some of those.....sorry, ALL of those photos on Flickr are bloody amaizing. Large skipper in the Rockery this week, another first after the small copper. How's French France?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Blimey Jack, some of those.....sorry, ALL of those photos on Flickr are bloody amaizing. Large skipper in the Rockery this week, another first after the small copper. How's French France?

Thanks Jevs. As you can see by the last twenty or so photos in the Butterfly album, it's going swimmingly at the moment. I'll go in to details when I come and see you when I come back.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
About six years' ago, I posted on this thread about wanting to improve my photography and felt in awe of some of the amazing photos uploaded to here by Kneon Light and Smirko to mention only a few. I stated that I didn't understand hardly any of the buttons on my Nikon D80 and always shot on automatic mode. I've consciously made the effort to learn how to use the camera settings and now understand the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO. My progress has been slow but steady. I developed an unhealthy interest in macro photography, already having an affection for butterflies. It has been this week when I thought, YES! You've got the hang of it!! After lots of disappointments, I feel I have reached the stage with butterflies that Kneon has reached with his birds. Isn't it nice when you finally get the hang of something!
You may wish to see my Butterfly / Insect Flickr album, and see the progress I believe I've made over the years, with the photos being in chronological order, with the most recent first. https://www.flickr.com/photos/128321708@N03/albums/72157649396241380
I've posted this not just to show off my photos, but to give hope to anyone who thinks their photography could be better. Keep this thread alive and keep posting your pictures if you like them. If you like them, the chances are that a lot of other people will.
Here's a funny green fly thingy I took this week.

Thanks for the kind words! Love your butterfly photos - have tried butterflies a few times but not really got on with them. May try again this summer.

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
Nice shots helipilot, that dive looked amazing... May I ask, where was the Mako shark?

Kneon light - great shots - good luck in the competition!

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So does the reed warbler think that cuckoo is it's own offspring?

PS - Great shot

The gape response on birds is so powerful I'm not sure they can quite over ride it.
Just look at those Peregrines on Springwatch and the foster chick. Granted it's the same species, but they reared it without hesitation as if it was their own.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here