Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Loving those butterfly and insect photos JS! Some real stunners, especially the mating and egg laying ones.

We took the kids up to the Natural History Museum butterfly house last year. Fantastic experience but of the hundreds of photos I took of all those exotic beauties, not one comes close to yours :lol:...And yours were taken in the field as well! Superb work! :thumbsup:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Loving those butterfly and insect photos JS! Some real stunners, especially the mating and egg laying ones.

We took the kids up to the Natural History Museum butterfly house last year. Fantastic experience but of the hundreds of photos I took of all those exotic beauties, not one comes close to yours :lol:...And yours were taken in the field as well! Superb work! :thumbsup:

Thanks FM. That's made my day! Here's a Beautiful Demoiselle I took this morning.

Attachments

• Beautiful Demoiselle NSC.JPG
    Beautiful Demoiselle NSC.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 172

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks FM. That's made my day! Here's a Beautiful Demoiselle I took this morning.

Wow! Another absolute stunner!

If you could get one of a broad bodied chaser and post it here that would be marvellous scenes. I've seen a female and then a male in the last couple of weeks and by the time I've got my phone out they were off :(

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Wow! Another absolute stunner!

If you could get one of a broad bodied chaser and post it here that would be marvellous scenes. I've seen a female and then a male in the last couple of weeks and by the time I've got my phone out they were off :(

Thanks once again FM. I haven't seen any so far, but I've got another couple of days to find one where I am at the moment. I'll do my best.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
Nice shots helipilot, that dive looked amazing... May I ask, where was the Mako shark?

Kneon light - great shots - good luck in the competition!
Thanks! The Mako was in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. I'm off to Guadalupe Island in September for some Great White diving... I'll post some pictures of that in due course.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Great photos guys.

Anyone seen the master of photography on sky arts? I've just finished the 1st series and the second is currently on. It's basically 8 photographers, some professional, battling it out to win €150k. A little disappointing in the photography of some and the judges are very harsh, as they are trying to get them to move away from postcard photos, which is fine if you want to be a master of photography but who is a master of all genres? It has given me some enthusiasm, as I have struggled lately, so it's worth it for that.
I know I would struggle big time with imagination if I was on this programme, so fair play. And when the final 3 showed their best, they were very good.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
So does the reed warbler think that cuckoo is it's own offspring?

PS - Great shot

Yes I think so. They must be so proud thinking "wow what a big chick I've raised!"
One thing I found out is that each cuckoo can only lay eggs in a particular birds nest. For example this cuckoo laid an egg in a reed warblers nest because the eggs it lays matches those of a reed warbler. That cuckoo wouldn't be able to lay eggs in, for example, a meadow pipits nest as the eggs wouldn't match. Other cuckoos would lay eggs in a meadow pipits nest but would not be able to lay eggs in a reed warblers nest.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Great photos guys.

Anyone seen the master of photography on sky arts? I've just finished the 1st series and the second is currently on. It's basically 8 photographers, some professional, battling it out to win €150k. A little disappointing in the photography of some and the judges are very harsh, as they are trying to get them to move away from postcard photos, which is fine if you want to be a master of photography but who is a master of all genres? It has given me some enthusiasm, as I have struggled lately, so it's worth it for that.
I know I would struggle big time with imagination if I was on this programme, so fair play. And when the final 3 showed their best, they were very good.

I really enjoy this show. It's like the Apprentice for photographers!
Think I'd leave my camera club if the judges were that harsh though!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I really enjoy this show. It's like the Apprentice for photographers!
Think I'd leave my camera club if the judges were that harsh though!
Exactly. It seems to me they are really trying to push them to stand out from the norm. So, no good for me, unfortunately.

I can appreciate all aspects of photography though, which I realised when I watched it with the missus, she likes the postcard one's but I can see where there are great photos in stuff that isn't the norm. Unfortunately, I don't have the imagination to take those photos, at least I can appreciate what I the effort and foresight from those photographers.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thanks once again FM. I haven't seen any so far, but I've got another couple of days to find one where I am at the moment. I'll do my best.

What lens are you using there Jack ?

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
Thanks heliport . Never been to Cabo but very jealous of both your trips, I love shark diving! Guadalupe will be amazing. Please do post some photos when you get back!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
What lens are you using there Jack ?

Nikon D7200 camera with AF-S Micro Nikkor 105mm 1:2.8G ED lens.
If you (or anyone else), are interested in an older 105 macro lens, I've still got my old one which obviously I don't really need any more. It takes really good photos. The main difference on the one I use now and the older one is that it doesn't have Vibration Reduction. My earlier photos here https://www.flickr.com/photos/128321708@N03/albums/72157649396241380 were taken with the older lens. Special NSC Mates Rates! Anyone interested, please PM me.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Really pleased with this one today. White-letter Hairstreak butterfly at Hollingbury Park.

Attachments

• WLHS.JPG
    WLHS.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 111

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here