Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion LOST £140,000 a week in the last season at Withdean

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Apologies if fixtures, but have just downloaded the Albion's accounts for the year ended 30 June 2011 which reveal

For every £1 of income we spent over £2, income was £7.1m, whereas spending was £13.8m
The wage bill was £6.4 million compared to £11.4 million at Southampton

The total spend on players in the year to 30 June 2011 was £2.49million

Tony Bloom was owed a total of £94.4 million by the club at 30 June 2011, and that is IGNORING the £25 million he has also invested in the way of shares. So total put up by TB is an eye watering £120 million BEFORE the expansion of the stadium and training facilities.

Since the holding company was set up in 1993 the Albion have lost a grand total of £29.1 million.

If anyone wants any further info PM me.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Did they check down the back of the sofa? I'm always losing money down there...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
At 30 June 2011 we were owed £1,642,500 in respect of player sales, so I assume this is the sum agreed for the sale of Elliott Bennett.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Goes to show that if Tony Bloom hadnt stepped in we'd be toast now. A very close escape. To be honest you have to be concerned we were spending so much money. Maybe we shouldnt be ao quick to slag off Pompey fans!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Goes to show that if Tony Bloom hadnt stepped in we'd be toast now. A very close escape. To be honest you have to be concerned we were spending so much money. Maybe we shouldnt be ao quick to slag off Pompey fans!

The wage bill in 2010/11 was 25% higher than the previous season. This probably reflects a full year of Gus and Tano, the higher money being paid in salaries to the likes of Greer, Noone etc............and plenty of win bonuses!

Tony wage costs (including pensions and NI) were 101% of income, totally unsustainable. Tony Bloom is GOD.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Martin Perry and Ken Brown were paid a total of £221k between them, with one of them trousering £129k.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Be interesting to see how Palace accounts compare? Let us know if you find out (genuine question).

£5.3M loss on a £12.7m turnover.

But Cpfc2010 honoured season tickets from pre admin.

£1,500,000 spent in transfer fees.

£8,188,809 spent in wages and salaries.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Ouch ! thank fu ck for the blooms !

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm not overly concerned by that, as we all know the problems associated with Withdean. You could argue the 25% hike in wages was worth it, as it got us promotion and we probably wouldn't have 18,000 Amex STHs without that. I'm not too worried about what our financial results for this year say either, as there will have been a lot of start-up costs associated with moving to The Amex that won't be paid again. But next year, there really is no excuse for making a loss. We have a large crowd paying good money and numerous other income streams, while the majority of our squad I would guess is still on League 1 wages. If we're still making a huge loss then it's a big problem as Tony Bloom isn't going to put his hand in his pocket and find £7m every year forever more. This is exactly why I really do not subscribe to the view that we must invest big money in our squad this summer in order to win promotion to the EPL. We should be able to afford modest investment thanks to our Amex income, but gambling and spending sums like £10m as I've seen quoted on here would be madness. If we finish 14th next season then so be it, we'll still be watching second-tier football in a top-tier stadium.

can't find a single word to argue with there. Excellent summary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here