Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Van Morrison song

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The sad death of Levon Helm reminded me of Van Morrison's performance on The Last Waltz. One of my favourite Morrison songs and this is the best version I have heard, backed by the Band

[yt]44wDwMQVqCc[/yt]

There is a MASSIVE choice and he seems to cover a wide spectrum of people with very different tastes. From the innocent early days of Brown Eyed Girl through the jazzy stuff he did with Georgie Fame, what's your favourite?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't know, but Poetic champions is a phenomenal album.

Agreed, particularly like Queen of the Slipstream.

I have noticed that you are another Jackson Browne afficianado reading your posts over the years? You might like to have a listen to Dawes album Nothing is wrong ( if you don't already know them) very reminiscent of early Jackson Browne and other West Coast singer/songwriters.

[yt]KtxKFpJ39HM&feature[/yt]

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Jackie Wilson Said is a current favourite in my house, but Gloria is right up there too. Astral Weeks is my fave album of his though.

My 36' sedan cruiser named 'The Misty', kinda influences me to have one particular preference.
This song was originally named exactly that, but became 'Into The Mystic'.

[yt]gVAnlke_xUY[/yt]

From wikipedia;
Recording and composition

"Into the Mystic" was recorded during the Moondance sessions at A&R Recording Studios in New York City in September to November 1969. Elliott Scheiner was the engineer.[2]

The lyrics are about a spiritual quest, typical of Morrison's work. "Bass thrums like a boat in motion, and the song comes back to water as a means of magical transformation."[3] "At the very end Van sings: too late to stop now, suggesting that the song also describes an act of love." (This phrase would become a key point of many live concerts.)[4] Compared to "Yesterday" by The Beatles, It has been described as "another song where the music and the words seem to have been born together, at the same time, to make one perfectly formed, complete artistic element.“[5]

Morrison remarked on the song: "'Into the Mystic' is another one like 'Madame Joy' and 'Brown Skinned Girl'. Originally I wrote it as 'Into the Misty'. But later I thought that it had something of an ethereal feeling to it so I called it 'Into the Mystic'. That song is kind of funny because when it came time to send the lyrics in WB Music, I couldn't figure out what to send them. Because really the song has two sets of lyrics. For example, there's 'I was born before the wind' and 'I was borne before the wind', and also 'Also younger than the son, Ere the bonny boat was one' and 'All so younger than the son, Ere the bonny boat was won' ... I guess the song is just about being part of the universe."

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Ringworm

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
So many great ones to choose from but I'd go for These Are The Days.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Moon dance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here