Please help support NSC by buying from Amazon

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Do you like the Gus style of football?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Andy Naylor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Generally I love it but I think that some of the players regard possession of the ball as an end in itself rather than something that leads to scoring a goal. There have been occasions when there has been an opportunity to risk a through pass but, with a less-than-100% chance of scoring, the player has gone backwards or sideways instead. Gus's reaction suggests that he doesn't necessarily want that to happen, but one or two don't have the confidence to depart from what they see as the golden rule of keeping the ball when the occasion demands it.
    I don't disagree with you but if has to be down to the Manager. If a Manager can't get his players to play the way he wants them to then he's not doing his job as well as he might and he needs to take responsibility.

On the other hand if he hasn't got the players capable of playing the way he wants then he's got to adapt his style to get the best possible performance from them until such time as we are able to recruit the players that can

Is that over simplifying?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Love the possession football we play.

It's the final ball that normally lets is down. Lack of end product.

Recently we have tried to counter this by giving it to Vicente almost all the time, but he is only one man and can't do it all.

Better final 3rd would see us winning many more games.
    One mans journey from the sofa to Ironman glory - http://www.ironsnook.co.uk

REMF Bike Ride http://roberteatonbigbikeride.blogspot.co.uk/

Best style of football we have ever played.
    **** Plan B!
    If anything Plan B should be: Get better at plan A.

Registered User Brightonfan1983's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stss30 View Post
    I like the style. But we should be able to play counter attacking football within the style. We just need better quality players who can move the ball around faster and more accurately. Easier said than done, obviously, but if we moved it around faster we'd create much more chances on the break instead of trying to break down team with men behind the ball...
    This. As much as I hate Arsenal and Man Utd, when they played like us in their heydays, they looked fantastic, possession football and breaking at one-touch speed. You can see what Gus wants to happen, we just need the players.
    We want our thumbs

The ONLY Gay in Brighton El Presidente's Avatar

For the first time in all the time I have watched the Albion we actually do have a style of play. I cannot recall anything prior to the last 18 months, apart from Paul Watson free kicks to BZ to stick it in the onion bag.

Gus is a UEFA B coach, we are a bunch of fat blokes who think we know a lot more than we actually do.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

Don't Mention The War Basil Fawlty's Avatar
    What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically…!”

Yes of course I do. But we haven't had a plan B this season in many games, when teams have worked us out. Hopefully in the Summer we will get the type players Gus wants, then we'll look stronger from back to front.
    Croc Croc Yellow Army - 2009 NSC Six-a-side CHAMPIONS

Quote Originally Posted by 34064 Fighter Command View Post
    I think Gus has got the right style of play.

I go to watch a game in order to be entertained, and I'd rather see a skillfull passing game than watch a bunch of cloddhopping thugs kick seven shades of sh!t out of each other (as Leeds seem to like to do) regardless of how effective it might be. If I wanted that then I might as well watch a game of rugby.

If we need to improve, it's in our pace and hold up play.

If we are going to get beat at playing a passing game then so be it, but at least we don't resort to the kind of tactics that some other teams might employ.

It's football for the purist.
    I also go to watch football to be entertained. For me, endless square and backward passes is far from entertaining. I like to see the ball moved quickly forward, I like to see players like LuaLua run at players with the ball at his feet. I like to see balls into the opposition's box, to be attacked by strikers with ability and strength, or skillful midfielders breaking into the box. That is what I find entertaining.