Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any recommendations for good sports books?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
It's high time for me to order a load of sports books as I'm nearly through my last batch. Anyone read any good ones recently?

My last few:

Paul Lake - I'm not really here. Excellent from start to finish.
Chris Hargreaves - Where's your caravan? Story of a typical lower-league journeyman. Reasonable.
Allan Peiper - A Peiper's tale. Aussie cyclist's at times harrowing autobiography. Very good.

Anyone read Jonathan Wilson's book on Clough? Normally enjoy his books but the reviews have been mixed.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
a-life-too-short-front-cover.jpg

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004
'A voyage of madmen'. I've got to be honest, despite my appearance I'm a complete snob and wouldn't personally ever read a footballers memoirs or any such (No offence, I'm sure others enjoy them. But then the DaVinci Code seems to have sold a lot of copies so a lot of people are happy reading shite). But this book is amazing - its chronicles the first single handed round the world yacht race by a 9 totally unprepared sailor. Don't worry, its not really about sailing its about them going mad, cheating, getting lost, falling off. Only one crosses the finish line. Gripping stuff.

Amazon.com: A Voyage for Madmen (9780732275921): Peter Nichols: Books

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Anyone read Joe Corrigan's autobiography? What does he say of his time at the Albion?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As you liked the Allan Peiper book, this is the latest cycling big hitter:-

51yhOilZAJL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

This was my Le Tour accompaniment last year:-

51kF4SPqmeL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
If you like horse racing then Mccoys book is very good, but you need to like racing to enjoy it I would think at times it becomes a diary of race meetings.

If you like Rugby League there is no better book than Andrew John's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here