Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This strike partner everyone is going on about for CMS?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Dare I say it but, perhaps, it's not about who plays alongside CMS, it's purely about him.

Is he a player who is too good for League One, but struggles in The Championship? Not prolific enough in front of goal to snaffle the fewer chances per game that come his way at the higher level.

Maybe he is more of a hard working wide player who will chip in with 8-10 games a season at this level, rather than a main goal threat .... regardless of who he is up front with.

Just a thought.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Like that really expensive shirt that you bought, that doesn't really suit you, but you insist on putting on occasionally because you spent so much money on it.

Maybe that shirt would look good .... if only you could find the right trousers to go with it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think if we had a McCann/do Prado style of player we could play exactly as we do now with only CMS up front but supported by a more assertive central midfield that actually gets ahead of the ball. As it stands we have 2 midfielders capable of doing that - Sparrow and Forster-Caskey. One is just a touch short of the quality we need and the other is probably a year or two away from contributing consistently. Add a McCann type player in midfield who will come through and attack the empty spaces in the box and take a gamble on where the ball might go and not only will that player score goals but CMS will benefit from the chaos their presence will create - it's how he scored so many at Peterboro. Remember that with quality wingers plus Vicente we can put the ball into the area often enough - it's just that we have no-one taking a chance on where it might go or gambling on the second ball in the box. That type of central midfield player makes wingers look good just by running in to space!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Please can someone tell me how we will play this mystery strike partner for CMS, considering we only play 1 out right striker at a time?
Will gus change the formation to 442 (with 2 real wingers) instead of 4231, if so why does he not do that now?
I think people are going to be a little disappointed when Gus uses the same formation with only 1 attacker still creating a lack of chances on goal.

I am not sure "everyone is going on about" a partner for CMS. From what I have seen and heard, most believe that CMS is not good enough to play up front on his own, and wastes too may (of our limited number of) chances. Talk is all about a replacement as our first choice striker.

ajcocker

Apr 10, 2012
Dont start barking on people what we need is to take 3mil for cms, i say take the money and run invested 2mil on top of that 5mil and buy a proven goal scorer, cant fault cms but just dosnt fit in as people including myself thought he mite(shame)

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Dont start barking on people what we need is to take 3mil for cms, i say take the money and run invested 2mil on top of that 5mil and buy a proven goal scorer, cant fault cms but just dosnt fit in as people including myself thought he mite(shame)

Where exactly do you think the £3million is going to come from?

On the other hand how about a bit of patience? We could knee-jerk CMS out of the club after an OK(its not like hes on 2 goals or something) first season and bring in another striker who might also need a year to learn the ropes. With some extra quality in the side that will come in the summer and another pre-season you might find CMS will get goals just fine in the championship.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Also, everyone is raving about Emnes as he was great against us, but he doesn't play that well very often if you ask the Middlesbrough fans

The ones I spoke to on the train after the game raved about him and said he was consistently one of their best players.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
And where would Vicente fit in?

For Vicente to play we can only really have 1 striker, unless we stick him out wide which I don't think is where Gus wants him.

Thought Razak was going to switch the team to a 4-4-2 and fulfill the defensive & attacking midfield role, but Vicente's emergence from injury and Razak's off the field issues meant it didn't work out.

Although I actually thought Navarro did a cracking job from box to box on Tuesday night. Great in defence, pinged a few passes across field and actually charged forward on numerous occassions to assist in the attacking build up play.

Also, everyone is raving about Emnes as he was great against us, but he doesn't play that well very often if you ask the Middlesbrough fans

Vicente - Bridcutt - New CM - Buckley/Noone/Lua Lua

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Where exactly do you think the £3million is going to come from?

On the other hand how about a bit of patience? We could knee-jerk CMS out of the club after an OK(its not like hes on 2 goals or something) first season and bring in another striker who might also need a year to learn the ropes. With some extra quality in the side that will come in the summer and another pre-season you might find CMS will get goals just fine in the championship.

I could understand a player needing time to learn the style of play and so on, if he was still young say 20 to 24 but CMS is 28 / 29 so shouldnt need to take a season or two to learn the style & TBH the foward is prob the easiest position to learn in our style of play.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Dare I say it but, perhaps, it's not about who plays alongside CMS, it's purely about him.

Is he a player who is too good for League One, but struggles in The Championship? Not prolific enough in front of goal to snaffle the fewer chances per game that come his way at the higher level.

Maybe he is more of a hard working wide player who will chip in with 8-10 games a season at this level, rather than a main goal threat .... regardless of who he is up front with.

Just a thought.

Exactly, what actual difference do people think this mystery strike partner is going to do for CMS?
Is he going to improve his first touch?
Is he going to improve his link up play?
And finally is he going to score his chances for him?
I want him to succeed as much as any other fan but it's down to him to improve his game, let's stop blaming poor finishing on tactics.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here