Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This strike partner everyone is going on about for CMS?

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Please can someone tell me how we will play this mystery strike partner for CMS, considering we only play 1 out right striker at a time?
Will gus change the formation to 442 (with 2 real wingers) instead of 4231, if so why does he not do that now?
I think people are going to be a little disappointed when Gus uses the same formation with only 1 attacker still creating a lack of chances on goal.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quite. We need a striker who is an all in one, can hold the ball up, and chip in with a few himself while bringing the best out of the attacking mids/wingers cutting in.

Glenn Murray or Marvin Emnes, for me.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Quite. We need a striker who is an all in one, can hold the ball up, and chip in with a few himself while bringing the best out of the attacking mids/wingers cutting in.

Glenn Murray or Marvin Emnes, for me.

What has Murray done this season? I know he is a completely different type of striker to CMS, but he has hardly been prolific this season for Palace in this division. Emnes on the other hand would be a fantastic signing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What has Murray done this season? I know he is a completely different type of striker to CMS, but he has hardly been prolific this season for Palace in this division. Emnes on the other hand would be a fantastic signing.

Anyone judging Murray on his goals is looking at him incorrectly. "Goals" are about his 8th best attribute. Maybe he doesn't suit the way Palace play? He would certainly suit the slow build up game we currently employ.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why do fans persist in thinking that Poyet will play 442?

He did say that 4-4-2 was his favourite formation, and ultimately the one he would like to play when he feels he has the players for it. That was a long time ago, mind.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Grant McCann was his main partner in crime at Posh - a big bustling midfielder with real pace who bursts through to support the attack but is equally adept in front of the defence - if we could get someone like that (Razak for example had he been able/willing to play both roles as required) he would be tailor-made for our needs

Seems to me that Gus knows what he needs but getting the right player in that role is as tough as finding an out and out striker.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Grant McCann was his main partner in crime at Posh - a big bustling midfielder with real pace who bursts through to support the attack but is equally adept in front of the defence - if we could get someone like that (Razak for example had he been able/willing to play both roles as required) he would be tailor-made for our needs

Seems to me that Gus knows what he needs but getting the right player in that role is as tough as finding an out and out striker.

but then the side would be 'to' attacking for Gus, gus likes to play 2 defencive type of midfielders and the wings being where we tend to attack the most, so again will Gus change his tactics to fit someone into the team? I dont think so.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
but then the side would be 'to' attacking for Gus, gus likes to play 2 defencive type of midfielders and the wings being where we tend to attack the most, so again will Gus change his tactics to fit someone into the team? I dont think so.

Would it?

A central midfielder who can cover in front of the defence would effectively replace Navarro who for all his strengths in breaking up play and moving the ball on has neither the pace not the attacking inclination to fulfill both roles

Lush

Mods' Pet
1) Murray/Murray-ish player
2) Barnes
3) CMS
4) Big Nuisance Grant Holt-ish type striker (what we were/are trying to do with Chris Wood/Vokes but not found the right person yet IMHO)

Would give us a lot of options/combinations up front in a 4 - 4 - 2.

Add Barker and Agdestein for the future.

Last season's video is a reminder of how well Murray and Barnes could play together.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Marvin Emnes, for me.

Marvin was probably the best all round striker I've seen at the Amex this season. I'm open to having my memory prodded a bit harder, but he looked the complete package to me that would suit our style.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Would it?

A central midfielder who can cover in front of the defence would effectively replace Navarro who for all his strengths in breaking up play and moving the ball on has neither the pace not the attacking inclination to fulfill both roles

This. If we had Bridcutt + A more complete midfielder, we may only need two CM's. Therefore as we would play one less in midfield, we could play one more upfront.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
This. If we had Bridcutt + A more complete midfielder, we may only need two CM's. Therefore as we would play one less in midfield, we could play one more upfront.

And where would Vicente fit in?

For Vicente to play we can only really have 1 striker, unless we stick him out wide which I don't think is where Gus wants him.

Thought Razak was going to switch the team to a 4-4-2 and fulfill the defensive & attacking midfield role, but Vicente's emergence from injury and Razak's off the field issues meant it didn't work out.

Although I actually thought Navarro did a cracking job from box to box on Tuesday night. Great in defence, pinged a few passes across field and actually charged forward on numerous occassions to assist in the attacking build up play.

Also, everyone is raving about Emnes as he was great against us, but he doesn't play that well very often if you ask the Middlesbrough fans

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here