Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Pauli striker asks ref for his goal to be chalked off after handball

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
mfbq-ebbers-07,templateId=renderScaled,property=Bild,height=349.jpg

St. Pauli, fourth in the Bundesliga II, had a pivotal match in their promotion-seeking season on Tuesday as they hosted 7th-placed Union Berlin, and the match went against the hosts early on as Markus Karl headed the visitors in front.

In the 59th minute Max Kruse drew St. Pauli level with a low shot into the near post, and then midway through the second period Marius Ebbers appeared to head the hosts into a crucial 2-1 lead.

Only Ebbers hadn’t headed the ball in the net: instead the number 9 screwed up his effort, only to see the ball ricochet into the goalmouth via his left hand.

Neither the referee nor the linesman spotted the handball, and accordingly they awarded St. Pauli the advantage.

Amazingly, however, Ebbers plainly felt guity about what was about to happen, and without any discussion or hesitation he came clean to the officials about the infringement and ordered them to wipe his ‘goal’ off the record.

Moreover, when a Berlin opponent tried to thank Ebbers for his moment of honesty, the forward instinctively pushed him away.

It was a spectacular moment of fair play.

Proving good things happen to good people, deep into injury time Fin Bartels claimed the winner for St. Pauli.

Well played sir! :clap2:

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What would Thierry Henry say? Reminds me of when Paulo Di Canio caught the ball as well.

Some would say all that matters is the goal. I disagree.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would have thought that even if the player admitted handball, if the ref or linesman didn't see it they can't give it?

Technically, if it was entirely accidental, then he hasn't committed an offence, and the goal should have stood...

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
What I dont understand is why he had his hand there in the first place? If you watch the video his head is in the perfect place, just head the bloody thing in!!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Luckily for Ebbers, St Pauli managed to get a genuine winner in the 2nd minute of injury time after Berlin had a player sent off.
Had they not scored I suspect his manager and fellow players might not have been as keen to applaud his altruism as we are :lol:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Not having seen the vid but reading the text, maybe he messed up his header and the ball hit his head then his hand? If the ball came off the side of his head, and thus not heading towards goal, then the deflection, even if accidental, should not stand and, as 'ball to hand' would not deserve a booking.

I think it does him tremendous credit to admit to this because, to have not done so would be cheating - and we don't have cheating in football, do we?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Not having seen the vid but reading the text, maybe he messed up his header and the ball hit his head then his hand? If the ball came off the side of his head, and thus not heading towards goal, then the deflection, even if accidental, should not stand and, as 'ball to hand' would not deserve a booking.

I think it does him tremendous credit to admit to this because, to have not done so would be cheating - and we don't have cheating in football, do we?

If it wasn't deliberate then it wasn't cheating - but fair play to the guy if he felt he didn't deserve to score it. I wonder, if the ref had still given the goal, whether the guy would have got his team mates to let the opposition walk the ball into the other net as I think has happened in similar circumstances. But I guess some of his team mates might not have agreed to that, after all it's not cricket. I also can't recall a player doing the same when he's netted while knowing that he was offside.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here