Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ARSON eleven years.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
That bloke who burnt the furniture store (reeves) in Croydon riots has been sentenced to 11.5 yrs. Longest ever sentence but will serve 5 if he stops supporting Palace.

Palace jibe aside (but it will be 5) is that justice?.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Might of been longer if he didnt go guilty. He did apologise to the store owners and they accepted the apology, credit to them for doing that as id of told him where to stick that apology.

Should of been something with endangering life as well, as that Polish woman had to jump to safety from a building next to the shop that was on fire.

Mayhem, arson, criminal damage, breaking and entering, endangering life.....

That's an armlong list of offences there. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd done some assaulting, stealing, and evading arrest to go with it. With any previous or probations to look into, it's not unfair to want him out of normal society.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I was caught up in the mayhem in August and a friend and I saw the carnage unfold outside Reeves corner. The average age of ‘rioters’ was probably about 16 so why a 34 year old man was instigating trouble is beyond me.

For me, a large number of feral scum brought shame to the town that night, the stuff I witnessed was like something out of a film and will stay in my memory for some time, IMO any ringleaders or those causing major trouble deserve the strongest custodial sentences possible. I would have given the bloke 20 years and make sure he served the full term.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Mayhem, arson, criminal damage, breaking and entering, endangering life.....

That's an armlong list of offences there. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd done some assaulting, stealing, and evading arrest to go with it. With any previous or probations to look into, it's not unfair to want him out of normal society.
It's difficult though. All of what you say is absolutely true, but on the other hand there I suspect there are violent rapists who have done less time.

He stupidly walked in, and set alight a shop without regard to anyone in the flats above. He deserves to be punished for that. But 11 years??!!! Makes me think this is serving as a deterrent with summer just around the corner.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Very much like the Twitter racist - this is a deterrent sentence to avoid any more of the scenes seen last summer. It pointless comparing it to other crimes like rape as they are not allowed to have any relevance in the case or the sentencing.

Good on the judge, I'd say. Draconian maybe. Essential? Yes.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
How long did the guy get who torched the Royal Pavillion a few years ago?

It's difficult though. All of what you say is absolutely true, but on the other hand there I suspect there are violent rapists who have done less time.

He stupidly walked in, and set alight a shop without regard to anyone in the flats above. He deserves to be punished for that. But 11 years??!!! Makes me think this is serving as a deterrent with summer just around the corner.

While I can also agree with what you are saying, there are faults with the justice system in that rape and murder can get less - so to disagree with a long sentence I find it hard. This is of course taking into account that a felon can exhibit good behavior and present themselves before a parole board, and reduce their time significantly....or get it reduced by an appeal.
I would go back to an earlier point that I only echoed, and that is the perp's previous record. IF he's been a miscreant to society for too long now, maybe smashed some property, stolen from people, been a threat, caused affray in the pubs with GBH etc, you can bet he's also got a long line of things he didn't get caught for - maybe glassing some poor lad in a bar, kicking a head in here and there, smashing indiscriminate car mirrors and windows of people who worked hard to afford them.

Just imagine yourself (any one of us on here) smashing in a shop window and for the sake of doing damage and creating a real nuisance you set fire to the building.
That seems pretty heinous of a thing to do, rather careless about others.

I hope you are right about it serving as a deterrent!

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
It wouldn't at all, that's part of the reason you have custodial sentences. But we have to be careful that the sentence fits the crime.

Looking at it purely objectively - burning down someone's family business, a local institution, and endangering the lives of countless people should be 11 years minimum.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Some might say he provided thousands of £'s worth of improvements to the Croydon area.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I was caught up in the mayhem in August and a friend and I saw the carnage unfold outside Reeves corner. The average age of ‘rioters’ was probably about 16 so why a 34 year old man was instigating trouble is beyond me.

For me, a large number of feral scum brought shame to the town that night, the stuff I witnessed was like something out of a film and will stay in my memory for some time, IMO any ringleaders or those causing major trouble deserve the strongest custodial sentences possible. I would have given the bloke 20 years and make sure he served the full term.

How much did you get for the Plasma?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
In my day if the penalty was 11.5 yrs you would be required to serve 7.6yrs before consideration before a parole board. I speak from first hand knowledge, you did 2/3rds of your court sentance under strict control. You behaved, a third shaved off. Misbehave and it was automatically added on again. I despair at the lenancy shown to todays thugs!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The muppet got off lightly - the tariff for arson with intent to endanger life allows for a life sentence.

Makes the actual 11 year sentence look relatively tame considering a much harsher 'deterrent' might have been given. Yet he could get released after 5 years. FFS.

Heard an interview on radio today with a young punter from the streets of Croydon who was complaining that the prison sentences are just for political purposes and the issues that caused the riots haven't been addressed, there's no sign of improvements or jobs to help the kids. At no time did he acknowledge the riots were wrong. My first reaction was cheeky f****r, you were the cause - a cowardly frenzy of opportunist looting and burning down your own town which destroyed many employment opportunities, many of which are still boarded up, yet you are now expecting the same community to find precious additional resources to pander to you, which may be the case - but just feels like rewarding the bad guys and girls. He implied a thinly veiled threat that similar rioting could happen again this summer, so clearly the deterrent isn't enough. I think they should be given an opportunity - by serving in Afghanistan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here