Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vokes

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Easy to sea why he can`t find a club that wants to keep him long term,or am i being a bit harsh?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No realistic. Just hope he moves on again at the end of the season rather than join us permenantly as he is not aas good as what we already have and doesnt offer any sort of acceptable alternative.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
As always MN, you're being a harsh, yes. I don't think he's necessarily what we're looking for, but he's a perfectly competent Championship forward.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As always MN, you're being a harsh, yes. I don't think he's necessarily what we're looking for, but he's a perfectly competent Championship forward.

Agree with this - he has also suffered, like CMS with a lack of service in some games so arguably hasn't been able to show his full potential

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
How Toby.A has not got a sniff since vokes has been here is unreal.

i never rated chris woods and look at vokes as the same player. slow and poor.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
He has been a victim of Wolves success. Wolves bought Vokes, aged 18, when they were in the championship and Vokes was banging in goals for Bournemouth in league 2. Vokes played a bit-part role in his first season at Wolves and looked like a promising, but very young, championship striker. Vokes made occasional appearences, but was never a first choice, because Ebanks-Blake and Iwelumo were ahead of him in the pecking order. Wolves won the league that season, and Vokes was seen as 'one for the future'.

After Wolves got promoted to the Premier League, Vokes was loaned out here there and everywhere. Unfortunately this has not really helped his development. In my opinion, Vokes was a promising young Championship level striker that has been mismanaged by Wolves. He hasn't been allowed to settle with one team and develop his game since he was 19 years old. I think with a chance to settle and be coached by the same team, Vokes will be a great signing at this level.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He has been a victim of Wolves success. Wolves bought Vokes, aged 18, when they were in the championship and Vokes was banging in goals for Bournemouth in league 2. Vokes played a bit-part role in his first season at Wolves and looked like a promising, but very young, championship striker. Vokes made occasional appearences, but was never a first choice, because Ebanks-Blake and Iwelumo were ahead of him in the pecking order. Wolves won the league that season, and Vokes was seen as 'one for the future'.

After Wolves got promoted to the Premier League, Vokes was loaned out here there and everywhere. Unfortunately this has not really helped his development. In my opinion, Vokes was a promising young Championship level striker that has been mismanaged by Wolves. He hasn't been allowed to settle with one team and develop his game since he was 19 years old. I think with a chance to settle and be coached by the same team, Vokes will be a great signing at this level.

I'd go along with that. Just have a suspicion that Vokes could turn out to be a bargain if he had a full pre-season with us, regular football and the benefit of Gus and Tano's coaching for a bit. Was an exceptionally good youngster.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I like Vokesey, I see him as a competent BillyBD. He actually wins the aerial balls and holds it up better than CMS IMO, although doesnt have the same pace.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Holds the ball up well and chips in with vital goals. Worth keeping him as a squad member for sure, because the alternative would possibly be that we end up getting a crap loan player (like Painter) to plug the gap he is crying out to fill.

But really, we do still need a top quality striker next season if we're going to go up.

D

Deleted member 22389

I like Vokes, keep him. Again same as CMS, if he is not being given the chances he will never score. Keep him on loan for another season. He came close to scoring on Tuesday night.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
I still think & hope we sign him as Im sure he will play alot better once he has settled at one club as [MENTION=4472]strings[/MENTION] said Wolves have not been that good to him with shipping him out left right and centre on loan, once he is sold by wolves im sure he will be very good for that team and I hope we get him even if that means hoskins goes.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
He does hold the ball up better than CMS.

The one thing he does not do, is get his lard arse back on side quickly. It really annoys me than any quick recovery by the midfield, can not involve a quick ball through as he is normally offside

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I like him, but only as a squad player. It will be interesting to see whether Wolves will want to keep him if they are in the Championship, after all, they don't have a chance of keeping hold of Fletcher and Doyle.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Holds the ball up well and chips in with vital goals. Worth keeping him as a squad member for sure, because the alternative would possibly be that we end up getting a crap loan player (like Painter) to plug the gap he is crying out to fill.

But really, we do still need a top quality striker next season if we're going to go up.

I agree. The lad shows lots of promise, and is worth a punt. In the short term, he is not the answer to our goalscoring problems. If we are serious about wanting promotion, we will need to either uncover a gem in some foreign league, or spend a lot of money.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
How Toby.A has not got a sniff since vokes has been here is unreal.

i never rated chris woods and look at vokes as the same player. slow and poor.

Have to agree. Very over rated and a bit disappointing. Not the player we are looking for!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Held the ball up too well on Tuesday, on the edge of the box in front of the north stand he had half turned the CB & should have been through on goal instead he laid off & chance gone. Poor call

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
As mentioned, once we lose on Saturday and are out of the play off race, I think we should give Toby a go. From what I've seen he's a good player who's just lacking first team sharpness atm. I'd also like to see players like Caskey and Hall get a run out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here