Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

midweek games travel

hornet94

Apr 11, 2012
hiya i'm a watford fan who's going to the game on tuesday night. i was always going to go to this game because of the shiny new stadium (like a lot of fans) and this was boosted by the apparently brilliant atmosphere at the AMEX.

However i'm suddenly rethinking all this due to one simple complaint i've heard almost all year- travel. i've got train tickets from watford junction to haywards heath and am going to use the travel vouchers from there on, but i've heard plenty of horror stories on the way back.

so i wanna ask a few questions: on average (and lets say you leave the game 10 mins early, which i never do btw) how long would it take to get a train?

are the queues for the bus (apparently a reasonable alternative) long?

where can you get the buses to brighton station from and how frequent are they?

thanks

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
If you were getting a train & left 10 mins early you wouldn't have any problems at all. Leave on the whistle & coming from the away end you may struggle

hornet94

Apr 11, 2012
fair enough. i've never liked leaving a game early. as well as the not-your-full-money's-worth argument i just wanna see the whole match. what about the buses because they're apparently nearer to the stand?

The 'problem' with Falmer station is that it's right next to the stadium, meaning that thousands descend on it straight after the game. Stay behind after for a pint. Give it half an hour (about how long it takes to get to the nearest train station from just about every other ground in the country) and you'll then have little if any wait for a train which is a 9 minute journey back to Brighton, meaning you should have no problem getting home at a reasonable hour.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It is not to bad really. Certainly no worse than most grounds in London etc. Just don't hang around and you will be fine.

hiya i'm a watford fan who's going to the game on tuesday night. i was always going to go to this game because of the shiny new stadium (like a lot of fans) and this was boosted by the apparently brilliant atmosphere at the AMEX.

However i'm suddenly rethinking all this due to one simple complaint i've heard almost all year- travel. i've got train tickets from watford junction to haywards heath and am going to use the travel vouchers from there on, but i've heard plenty of horror stories on the way back.

so i wanna ask a few questions: on average (and lets say you leave the game 10 mins early, which i never do btw) how long would it take to get a train?

thanks

Our son lives in Kennngton and catches a train at Clapham Junction; he usually picks up the Eastbourne train which routes via HH and Lewes where he changes on to a train for Falmer (7 mins I think). It usually works ok but can be a bit tight on the way back as the last train from Lewes to CJ is at about 10.35.

Last edited:

hornet94

Apr 11, 2012
Seen more Will Buckley goals staying to the end than in the first 80 mins.

that's what i'm kinda hoping won't happen. brilliant player, hacked down disgustingly by a burnley player last year and was out for a month at least; was not a happy hornet to see him go.

thanks very much dr. nothenineo'clocknews (yes i felt i needed to say the whole thing) sounds like the bus is the best bet and to the rest of you lot.

good luck to you in the rest of the season (apart from next tuesday) and i have to do a mandatory COYH

Our son lives in Kennngton and catches a train at Clapham Junction; he usually picks up the Eastbourne train which routes via HH and Lewes where he changes on to a train for Falmer (7 mins I think). It usually works ok but can be a bit tight on the way back as the last train from Lewes to CJ is at about 10.35.

Dep Lewes 22.40, arr CJ @ 23.45.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011

thanks

or you could stay behind after the whistle for a couple of pints, we don't bite :lolol:

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
The staying for a beer after the game is by far the best option if you can do that? The bars remain open and all the bus/train departures are up on the screens in the concourse so you'll know when you need to leave! Thank you for Buckley by the way, I love him!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
The alternative to that is to book yourself onto a Watford fans coach and stroll to the coach park an you'll be on your way within 10 minutes, coaches get priority and is my choice of travel, especially after an evening game!

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I mentioned this on another thread, but its worth mentioning again as many people have been caught out at midweek games:

IF you decide on the Lewes option & you get onto the 22.03 train, make sure you get in the front five carriages due to the short platform at Lewes. The rear three carriages hang out the back of the platform. Chances are the train will be rammed & you won't get through if stuck down the back.

Many have been caught out & have ended up in Polegate. It happened again last night & included quite a few Reading fans.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Hopefully you can leave 10 minutes early hanging your head in shame as we are already thumping you 4-0 (it's got to happen some when this season, shirley?).

However if you leave at final whistle you can expect about a 20 -30 wait to get a train and then a 10 minute trip back to Brighton. Once at Brighton god only knows.

Come and enjoy the wonderful Amex and thanks for the returned tickets for the South Stand - the more Albion the merrier.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Hopefully you can leave 10 minutes early hanging your head in shame as we are already thumping you 4-0 (it's got to happen some when this season, shirley?).

However if you leave at final whistle you can expect about a 20 -30 wait to get a train and then a 10 minute trip back to Brighton. Once at Brighton god only knows.

Come and enjoy the wonderful Amex and thanks for the returned tickets for the South Stand - the more Albion the merrier.:albion2:

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Hi hornet94, as a guide, because of my seat location I'm one of the last to leave my stand. On tuesday, I went via the gents, to the train q and was in brighton station around 10.25pm. (ive never missed my 10.33 onward train after an evening game). hope this helps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here