Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Navarro, squad development and next season

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Played a blinder last night, just behind El Abd as MoM for me. Another player who is really starting to blossom under our management team.

If we can keep Vicente (big if), Assulin, and the core of this squad, with a few quality additions (proven Champ/ex-Prem striker, combative and pacey central mid-fielder, and goalkeeper as competition for Brez) then next season should be very interesting. I don't want to get into the negatives of who's not working/should go, I think most of us have a good idea about that. Really hope we hang onto Hall and Caskey though, unless offered really silly money for them, as they are going to be influential players over the next couple of seasons.

Haven't written this season off yet, but it's a huge ask now. Always been of the mind that you always push for promotion, but I'm way more than happy at another season in this exciting division.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Played a blinder last night, just behind El Abd as MoM for me. Another player who is really starting to blossom under our management team.

If we can keep Vicente (big if), Assulin, and the core of this squad, with a few quality additions (proven Champ/ex-Prem striker, combative and pacey central mid-fielder, and goalkeeper as competition for Brez) then next season should be very interesting. I don't want to get into the negatives of who's not working/should go, I think most of us have a good idea about that. Really hope we hang onto Hall and Caskey though, unless offered really silly money for them, as they are going to be influential players over the next couple of seasons.

Haven't written this season off yet, but it's a huge ask now. Always been of the mind that you always push for promotion, but I'm way more than happy at another season in this exciting division.

Good post.

I believe a top keeper, top striker, and keep the standard close to last night, and we'll finish top 2.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Good post.

I believe a top keeper, top striker, and keep the standard close to last night, and we'll finish top 2.

Agreed. But we NEED to keep hold of Vicente! Also another box to box CM who can shoot from range wouldn't go amiss!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
One of Navarro's best games ever for us I thought. Looked a bit pacier than normal, after gifting the ball away in a dangerous position he charged back at them and nicked the ball back when they really should have engineered a decent chance out of it.

I keep comparing last night to the West Ham game and I think although the result was the same, we posed Reading a hell of a lot more problems than we did West Ham. Vicente really should have scored first half, CMS's scuffed shot nearly finding the corner of the net and of course the missed pen.

Think we have come on leaps and bounds since the start of the season and with another summer of squad stengthening, we are going to be in with a great chance of chasing promotion again next season.

Really enjoyed the game last night and has left me feeling really positive :smile:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
One of Navarro's best games ever for us I thought. Looked a bit pacier than normal, after gifting the ball away in a dangerous position he charged back at them and nicked the ball back when they really should have engineered a decent chance out of it.

I keep comparing last night to the West Ham game and I think although the result was the same, we posed Reading a hell of a lot more problems than we did West Ham. Vicente really should have scored first half, CMS's scuffed shot nearly finding the corner of the net and of course the missed pen.

Think we have come on leaps and bounds since the start of the season and with another summer of squad stengthening, we are going to be in with a great chance of chasing promotion again next season.

Really enjoyed the game last night and has left me feeling really positive :smile:

Very good post, sums it all up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Good post apart from one thing. Navarro was way ahead as MoM for me.

This season has been a blast. We're on course for our highest finish in 21 years; last night we were, at times, really cooking with gas. We're now an established Championship team, looking upwards for some glory. We've raised our own bar with the tempo that we should be playing at. We just need to improve on individual quality. But it will come.

Next season is going to be amazing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For the first time last night, I thought Vicente looked really frustrated with what was happening around him. I may have been seeing too much into his body language, but it looked to me like he was thinking that he is a class apart from this level - and frankly he is right (if he was thinking that at all!).

We've got him fit, we've got him playing regularly, and now he's playing regularly he's looking a little frustrated. Can't believe the likes of a Fulham, Everton, Norwich, Swansea etc. won't come in for him next season. I could well be reading way to much into his demeanour during the game (of which I thought he was brilliant and gave 100%), but I'm going to enjoy his last 4 games, as my gut tells me they're going to be his last for us.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For the first time last night, I thought Vicente looked really frustrated with what was happening around him. I may have been seeing too much into his body language, but it looked to me like he was thinking that he is a class apart from this level - and frankly he is right (if he was thinking that at all!).

We've got him fit, we've got him playing regularly, and now he's playing regularly he's looking a little frustrated. Can't believe the likes of a Fulham, Everton, Norwich, Swansea etc. won't come in for him next season. I could well be reading way to much into his demeanour during the game (of which I thought he was brilliant and gave 100%), but I'm going to enjoy his last 4 games, as my gut tells me they're going to be his last for us.

He might have been frustrated that every time he got the ball, a Reading player had a nibble at him. "Sod the ball - play the man, you won't get a yellow card out of this joker..." the Reading players guffawed.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

I think that he, along with the other 10 Albion players last night all looked genuinely frustrated, at the horrific officiating. When the ref didn't give the blatant foul on Vicente on the first half it was obvious he had decided reading were going to win that game. He must have also been frustrated when the referee made him move a free kick SIDEWAYS about 2 yards... That was just taking the piss.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I don't disagree that El-Abd was superb. El-Abd v Roberts was great to watch.

I just feel that without the game Navarro had, Vicente wouldn't have had the opportunity to be half the player he was.

Absolutely. I was moved to shout a hearty and very loud "well played Alan" as he left the pitch, which I think scared the poor bloke in front of me a bit.

As for Vicente and next season, I do think it's a big ask to keep him. What does give me hope though is that he's a fragile soul who has started to settle here (will he want to up-end again in this country?), he's coming towards the end of his career and just wants to play - something he won't be guaranteed by moving to a Prem side, and he doesn't need the money.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
As for Vicente and next season, I do think it's a big ask to keep him. What does give me hope though is that he's a fragile soul who has started to settle here (will he want to up-end again in this country?), he's coming towards the end of his career and just wants to play - something he won't be guaranteed by moving to a Prem side, and he doesn't need the money.

i agree, I think he is one of those rare souls in football that believes in loyalty, he fell out with valencia because he couldn't get fit (and they couldn't get him fit) which led to him falling out with the management. We have got him to 90-minute match fitness and he may feel that he owes us to stick with us, and he knows that if he does we will do our upmost to keep him fit and keep him playing. I don't think he would get the treatment he gets here, elsewhere, and he is the kind of player that would acknowledge this.

of course this is all speculation and thus must be regarded as utter bollocks.

Stumpy Tim

Good thread this. HAve to agree with what's been said. El Abd & Navarro were immense, though I think saying AEA had Roberts in his pocket is a little generous. Roberts played well, and AEA did well to restrict him - but Roberts was still immense for them.

Navarro had his best games in the stripes IMO

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
El Abd & Navarro were immense, though I think saying AEA had Roberts in his pocket is a little generous. Roberts played well, and AEA did well to restrict him - but Roberts was still immense for them.

Maybe a bit generous, but that was kinda my point - to restrict a player as good as Roberts as El Abd did, when Roberts was having a good game, was equivalent to having him in his pocket. Sounds good anyway :)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A friend of mines boy is scholar at BHA and by all accounts Adam El Abd is in taking their training session today as part of his coaching qualification.

Maybe a little insight into a personality that is willing to keep learning and expanding his knowledge of the game, both on and off the field.

Reaping the rewards at present.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Navarro was immense last night, he looked a totally different player. Seems he is now totally over his serious injury and is back to full fitness. Our new club Doctor must have some great healing hands! He has worked his magic on Vicente and Navarro, now to get Elphick back to full fitness.

I hope Vicente stays for another season he is just a phenomenal talent and a real pleasure to see play for the Albion. He is one of those players that's worth the entrance fee alone.

I fail to see how Reading finished the game with 11 men. For me Harte and Roberts should have been sent off. Maybe they know the tricks of the trade from the premiership to be dirty and stay on the field? The ref had a shocker and was nearly on the verge of losing control of the game. He started dishing out the cards at the right time to stop this from happening.

In the words of Ruud Gullit we played some real "sexy football" last night. We are zipping the ball around with a greater fluidity and urgency than we were at the beginning of the season. It was a real joy to behold.

Good thread BTW, great to see on here after all the negativity and lame trolling at the weekend.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I really should have changed over Navarro to Vicente as my favourite Albion player, but I have not done so quite yet. Alan Navarro fit in with Gus Poyet's plans from the beginning at St. Mary's (I never thought we would go up last season when we lost our best player at the time). I though we was doomed.

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean

My thoughts entirely........money can't be an issue i wouldn't have thought ......lets all hope he stays, joy to see an Albion player of his class, reminds me of Frank Worthington, he only stayed for a season !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here