Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is Steve Gritt?

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I was 4 when he saved us, I knew who he was... No excuse really.

Really... When I was 4 I just about knew who David Beckham was let alone Steve Gritt. To say there's no excuse is quite harsh. For all we know they could be relatively new fans and enjoy watching our football.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Bit harsh? It was 15 years ago. Not every single person in the stadium is going to be a die hard blue and white bleeding Albion fan.

My boy is 12 and he knows what Mr Gritt did for us, and because im a bit mutt and geoff it was actualy my boy who said "oh my god look Dad, Steve Gritts here" as it was anounced and shown on the screen

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Fact is one of the two stood behind me for the whole interview and then said to his mate..

" its some guy who score a goal against Hereford in the cup"

Maybe not an entrance exam but a basic intelligence test please....

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Good to see him back. Thought he was harshly treated when sacked halfway through the 97/98 season. Not one of Dick Knights smartest moves.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just got in from the game....

I shit you not this conversation happened in the East Stand Block F just behind me.

I have never seen either man A or Man B before so I think a STH sold his ticket.

At half time there will be an interview with Steve Gritt is announced.

Man A ..whos he?
Man B..... dunno

Man A.............. im going for a piss
Man A returns.

Man A .....so who was he?

Man B.......some guy who scored a goal against Hereford in a cup game!!!!!

FFS......i was about to turn round and tell them but I thought better off it,, I will just let them wallow in their stupidity...

SECOND HALF PENALTY TIME....

There were people in the East shouting at others to SIT DOWN while the Pen was being taken......!!!!!!!!!! FFS WHO LETS THESE MUPPETS IN A FOOTBALL GROUND?
I think I'd have said something. If for nothing else than to educate our new fans of our past. However much it pains me to say it, we need people like them in order for us to grow.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I too would have just told them. We all had to learn sometime. How many of us knew much Albion history within our first few times of going?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Good to see him back. Thought he was harshly treated when sacked halfway through the 97/98 season. Not one of Dick Knights smartest moves.

It was the right move at the right time. We were going nowhere under SG when at Gillingham. In fact we were even worse than we had been in the previous season. Now this wasn't his fault at all but simply the facts - we had no money, we had no home, we had to start clearing out all the "expensive" players that had kept us up so heroically like Maskell and just concetraing on operating in the loan and free transfer market. It was said at the time that Gritt simply did not have the contacts to pull off deals and DK had to do something to keep the few remaining fans on board and prepared to go to Gillingham.

And of course he found a ready replacement with "Albion hero " status in Brian Horton.

And of course keeping SG on would have dimmed the heroic glpow that still surrounds him

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I take the time to explain to people who don't know all or everything about matters such as Hereford (assuming they ask, or make it apparent they are misinformed). It's not hard to be civil, and explain it. The fact that they are at the Amex shows they have some interest in the Albion, might as well give them a hand filling in the gaps. There were 20K people there last night, it goes without saying around 10K of them were not attending the Goldstone for the end of that season and that run in, and quite possibly weren't even following the Albion then. As for the interview, over the tannoy, describing someone you've never heard of, it's easy to mishear.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Plenty of people last night would not of known what he did for the Albion and that doesn't really annoy me. I just thought it was nice that the people that do know had the opportunity to show their appreciation to man.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
ive introduced 2 new fans to the albion this season,father and son, who are now hooked and desperate for season tickets, neither of who i suspect know anything about steve gritt,in my book every single new fan is welcome whatever the age,but in the same breath have a quick look at our history chaps,you might just appreciate the club even more......it really does make a cracking story!

Tell them to get copies of Build A Bonfire and We Want Falmer as a starting point :wink:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Evidence, if evidence were required, that JCLs come in all ages.
Annoying, yes, but their £££ pays the wages of the players who are playing where we are today [Amex/Championship] so I can't knock em.

Isn't "Rienelt" a French car? :dunce:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I didn't realise you needed to pass a history test to enter the stadium, If some bozo pays their £28 (or whatever) and spends the entire 90 minutes sitting on the bog reading Razzle it makes no diffrence to my Albion supporting life whatsoever

Hmm. I thought it was a shame he got such a poor reception. I'm sure he knows he's a legend here, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here