Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PROUD of the team tonight

notes14

May 31, 2011
Hove
I have to agree reading were piss poor but once they took the lead they did what they had to do and got the win, we were not good enough to break down their barrier.

I will disagree with the Navarro quote though, I thought he was one of our worst players and has been all season, I think that a player with the quality of Razak has the right to be pissed that he is overlooked by someone like Navs.

Also El-Abd dealt with Roberts well as they are like for like but he was put on his arse by him in our own box in the second half when he was squared up, I wouldn't like to see him against a Maynard or Vaz Te next week.....don't know if anyone else feels the same?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
US loves to be a victim

That's from the leftside and totally uncalled for. How have I been the " victim " as I have been nothing but positive on this thread ? PATHETIC attempt at Trolling there. Badly executed and very very poor. Actually to summarise it f*** OFF !

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I expect that if you play a team off the park you should win.

If that is "'massively unrealistic" then apologies.

Well, I wouldn't say we played them off the park. They got an early goal and defended it - the onus was on us to attack. We did pretty well but couldn't break them down. Saying "we should win" in those circumstances makes no sense to me. It's not the way football works.

You may not like the "plucky little club" mentality but we have come an awfully long way in the past two years. Sometimes it's worth taking stock of just how far that is, and not getting carried away with dreams of back to back promotions.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I cant remember ever leaving a game after a defeat with a smile on my face. I had a chat with a Reading fan who said we were the best side they have played against this season and he agreed we were the better side by far. Top two sides dont get where they are without lady luck and we had are fair share last season.

Well done tonight players and fans we were great.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Yes build on the excellent season absolutely.

But proud of tonight's performance? Surely not. Was naive at best. West Ham all over again.

Zero end product. All anybody upfront wanted to do was give it to Vicente. He is good but not that good.

Excellent season. Poor performance tonight. All well and good dominating but it's not how it's how many.

I would rather see us play shit and get 3 points (see Forest game for example) rather than play well and get zero.

Agree with this - Need more than one tactic in a match and you could see the only path we were using was through Vicente. At one point you had 3 players standing around waiting for the ball to be played through to him, there was too little movement in midfield and apart from a short spell in the first half it was a waste of time. As good as he is many of his passes and crosses are over hit - its not a case of the rest of the team not being as good and we need more options and better use of our attack.

Our passing was crap tonight

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I thought the team played very well tonight.

It might not be our time this season, but if we build properly for next season then the world is our lobster.

TB

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was proud of the team. We outperformed the league leaders in every single department. How the f*ck they have managed to get to the top God only knows.

They were piss poor, one of the poorest sides seen all season at the Amex.

El Abd was excellent , bar a bit of play acting at the end, Vicente was again sublime, Navarro had a stormer and Greer kept it tight at the back.

Bar a lucky deflected goal and an open goal they crashed against the bar they offered NOTHING.

Barnes struck a decent penalty, so was unlucky, so no need to have a pop at him.

We deserved to win this game , no doubt about it.

The only consolation is I dislike Reading less than Southampton or West Ham even though the fact they thought they were Barcelona when they were infact utter shite was slightly galling. They will be slaughted in the Premiership.

A decent season and all things look good at the club. Onwards and Upwards.

Totally agree with u...Reading seemed poor..maybe we made them look that way..thoroughly enjoyed it..apart from the result

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agree with this - Need more than one tactic in a match and you could see the only path we were using was through Vicente. At one point you had 3 players standing around waiting for the ball to be played through to him, there was too little movement in midfield and apart from a short spell in the first half it was a waste of time. As good as he is many of his passes and crosses are over hit - its not a case of the rest of the team not being as good and we need more options and better use of our attack.

Our passing was crap tonight

Totally disagree...and how u can agree that our play was similar to the west ham home game beggars belief....there are various spec saver outlets...perhaps u need to use one

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
u seem to like being a dickhead

Thanks mate. That comment in the context of things was so far off the mark as to be unreal. After all I did a thread being very positive. So It made no sense firstly and secondly surely a person that tries to get a binfest going and bad feeling for reasons best known to themselves must look at themselves in the mirror in the morning and think " yes I am a dickhead " at least you would like to think so.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Simply not good enough ?, er no. If we play like that next season all season we are up in the Premiership.

No doubt about it. Play like that and we'd stay up in the Prem too.

Very proud of the Albion tonight. We are going to be a FORCE next season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You are spot on, [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION]. The two holding midfielders necessity really causes us problems when a decent team does it's homework. Reading seemed content to let Navarro and Dicker hold onto the ball because frankly, neither looked like hurting us when they had it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If one game this season sums us up perfectly, that was it. Reading might not have been firing on all cylinders or producing anything of any note going forward, but I thought they looked more professional and organised. We are very pretty, very good technically and if football matches were won on possession we'd be champions. There is no disgrace in that at all, we're like a Championship Arsenal. But that also means we're never going to dine at the top table, because too many of the good teams do a job on us time after time. Look at our line-up, there are five players in there that arguably wouldn't get on the Reading bench. We may pass the ball well, but we only really have two attacking options. 1) Get it wide and hope a winger produces something. 2) Give it to Vicente, who will never pass, but might do something sublime. I think we need more to break down teams like Reading. As good as our passing is, teams like that just aren't bothered about it. The top teams in this division all play 4-4-2 and I think we will have to go that way. CMS is never going to be able to play upfront on his own. The key to it all is finding a holding midfielder good enough to justify him being the only one. At the moment, we're totally hamstrung as an attacking force by the fact we have to play two defensive midfielders. This results in only one striker or only one winger, and often both. Reading's centre backs were fantastic and had CMS in their pocket.

I hate to moan so I don't want it to sound like that, because we're obviously a decent team and I'm pleased we can at least compete with good sides in this division. But to be perfectly honest, I've come away from that match tonight thinking we're further away from being top two contenders than I ever realised. And I think there are now too many holes to fill for it to be a possibility next season.

Slight difference how long has wenger been in charge of arsenal? then compare that to our first season back in the championship...i can c where yur coming from ..but a tad harsh me thinks

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You are spot on, [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION]. The two holding midfielders necessity really causes us problems when a decent team does it's homework. Reading seemed content to let Navarro and Dicker hold onto the ball because frankly, neither looked like hurting us when they had it.

well u would agree because u have been rubbishing some of brightons play all night..i get the feeling that if we had won ten nil u still would have found something to have a go about

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
well u would agree because u have been rubbishing some of brightons play all night..i get the feeling that if we had won ten nil u still would have found something to have a go about
Don't be such a child.

All I've said is that CMS is not up to it at this level and now agree with TCB that we are hamstrung by playing two holding midfielders, thereby sacrificing an attacking option. I'm not even saying that isn't the right thing to do, given the players at Gus' disposal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here