Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PROUD of the team tonight

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Brighton manager Gus Poyet: "I take huge encouragement from this performance. If we keep the same players fit and if we add some more key, important players, us going to the Premier League will just be a matter of time.

"If I were a fan I would pay for a ticket to watch Brighton. Vicente is a player who does something special, the team play quick and pass the ball."

"If we play as we did against Reading, we will win games. We are capable of doing it. As long as we are technically sound we will be a very difficult team to play against."

Spot on Gustavo. Glad he can see it even if plenty here can't. We were SUPERB last night.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Though we were excellent. Just lacked the finishing touch to fall ever so slightly short - a neat microcosm of the season possibly. On the plus side, if we could play like that in our final four games, I think we'd have a great chance still of making the play-offs.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
First time for everything - I agree with TCB - apart from the fact that I do not believe next season will still leave the same problems.

First season back and we are competitive and difficult to beat - however I believe that there are so many gaps in the infrastructure of the club that have to be dealt with -and they are.

COnsider Southmaptons academy and general set-up - a million miles ahead of where we have been. I am delighted that we now have the basis to turn from a cottage industry football club into a professional set-up - but that has to be done sensibly and with a view to sustainable growth.

I think there will be signficant changes in certain areas of the playing squad over the summer. I think we also forget sometimes that Poyet is new to management and this is his first season in the Champsionship - he has made mistakes and I expect him to be looking at how he approaches games tactically next season.

It has been a massive learning curve and last night did show the gaps - although I thought we were excellent. Roberts, Federici, Gorkks were quality - experienced, savvy and very clear on their roles within the team.

The exciting part for me is looking to the summer where I really do expect us to make some more investments. First season at the Amex means our first year of proper match day revenue and that will also help the club start to manage budgets based on revenue.

I know people think that we should not always look back and use the past as a yard stick - however I think perspective is required when we consider and reflect on the achievements the club has made this season. 20,000 crowds, a fantastic match day experience and with some adjustments being made on and off the pitch based on the lessons everyone has learnt we can look forward to another excellent season come August.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There are definitely times when the team deserves a bit of stick in terms of performance for a 1-0 defeat, but last night wasn't one of them. There was very little to choose between the teams IMHO. Federici played a blinder, but then again so did Brezovan. Roberts made the difference.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Can't agree. Your above post would be correct if talking about the West Ham match earlier in the season - but last night we were CONSTANTLY getting through them, absolutely tearing them apart.

How many times out of ten is Vicente going to be through on goal like that and hit the bar rather than the back of the net? 1 out of 10?

How many pens has Barnes missed this season? 1?

There were TWO more stonewall pens, on another night at least one if not both would've been given.

I'm sure none of the above was part of Reading's "plan". A fair result last night would've been around 3-1, and even then that's being generous to Reading, who created NOTHING of note all game.

Reading were SHIT and incredibly lucky. We passed like GODS at points last night. Superb performance, play like that for the next 4 and we are in the playoffs, no question.

I was a s frustrated as you can get last night but to think a fair result would have been 3-1 is madness. Why was it unfair that we lost then? Games are not won by having more of the ball or by having a larger majority of possession they are won by goals! Clinical finishing. This is why we lost because we didnt have that quality to score a goal. We were not unlucky at all.
As for them not creating a single chance, I can hear the bar still flopping up and down from that header and also brezovans save from a header first half springs to mind.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I was a s frustrated as you can get last night but to think a fair result would have been 3-1 is madness. Why was it unfair that we lost then? Games are not won by having more of the ball or by having a larger majority of possession they are won by goals! Clinical finishing. This is why we lost because we didnt have that quality to score a goal. We were not unlucky at all.
As for them not creating a single chance, I can hear the bar still flopping up and down from that header and also brezovans save from a header first half springs to mind.

They created one chance from open play that I can remember. EVERYTHING else came from a set play. Doesn't make it unfair, that's just football, but they were certainly outplayed for the vast majority of the match.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I think we were slightly unlucky not to have a further penalty, slightly unlucky that Vicente chose this moment to hit the bar when 9 times out of 10 it would've been a goal, and slightly unlucky that Barnes missed his first pen in AGES. Sorry, you're right. They had TWO chances. We had about ELEVEN.

We absolutely tore them apart. Probably the most one sided game I've seen at the Amex all season.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I think we were slightly unlucky not to have a further penalty, slightly unlucky that Vicente chose this moment to hit the bar when 9 times out of 10 it would've been a goal, and slightly unlucky that Barnes missed his first pen in AGES. Sorry, you're right. They had TWO chances. We had about ELEVEN.

We did have more chances but that doesnt make us Unlucky. Your not unlucky if you miss a penalty!! You have to make your own luck and in front of goal were were not good enough to convert.

Also a chance is a chance whether its from open play or a set piece.

Reading defended well and their keeper is quality. We need to look at that in the summer because thats a HUGE reason as to why top teams in this division are where they are.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We did have more chances but that doesnt make us Unlucky. Your not unlucky if you miss a penalty!! You have to make your own luck and in front of goal were were not good enough to convert.

Also a chance is a chance whether its from open play or a set piece.

Reading defended well and their keeper is quality. We need to look at that in the summer because thats a HUGE reason as to why top teams in this division are where they are.

I agree.

A top keeper and a top striker, play like that every week, and we'll be top 2 next season. I would bet my house on it.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I agree.

A top keeper and a top striker, play like that every week, and we'll be top 2 next season. I would bet my house on it.

Yes, definitely. Almunia, federici decent defences - we lose both games 0-1. Our lack of decent striking options and we lose both games 0-1. its not coincidence! whilst we are far from dead and buried this year, if we dont not make the play offs then roll on next year. As US says, onwards and upwards, and learn from your mistakes!!!

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Was at the game last night, as I have been all season and this was certainly one of the better performances I've seen from Brighton. However, it also showed our weaknesses. Lest we forget this is a division one side playing in the Championship. Reading showed their experience of being able to pick up the points when they're not playing well. Something Brighton will need to learn how to do in this league if we're to stand any chance of going up next year.

It's all fair and well playing a good game and losing, but I agree with others here. They need to learn to pick up points when they're not playing well. Something all good teams do. Something all teams that get promoted do. It's evident that we need at least three new players. A confident and competent goalkeeper. A good, solid central midfielder that can distribute the right ball at the right time. All too often last night Navarro with his back to goal just lumped it forward or into the channels with a hope that someone would be there to collect it. And Dicker looked out of his depth last night. Finally we need a decent goal scoring striker. Someone that can get you 20 goals a season. And lets face it, if you cannot get 20 goals a season in the Championship, we're going to struggle in the PL if we go up.

The football is good. The confidence is there and the results will continue to come next season. But we need to learn to win games, to grind out the results. I think adding quality through the spine of the team should achieve this. Oh, and hanging on to Gus and Vicente is a must.

One final point. What is with the supporters getting on the teams back all the time? Never in my life have I heard so many people shouting abuse at your own team. During a game you should SUPPORT the team. After the game is the time for analysis and critique. During the game do we really think getting on the teams back, and verbally abusing and booing players is really going to help more than encouragement? All night all I could hear was "you're SHIT" and "You don't know what you're doing" and "you're f***ing useless" from the Brighton fans at the Brighton players. Incredible.

I will disagree with the Navarro quote though, I thought he was one of our worst players and has been all season, I think that a player with the quality of Razak has the right to be pissed that he is overlooked by someone like Navs.

Razak was sent back to Man City after Dicker recovered from injury. That's why he is not playing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They created one chance from open play that I can remember. EVERYTHING else came from a set play. Doesn't make it unfair, that's just football, but they were certainly outplayed for the vast majority of the match.

Yes there deflected free kick was definitely clinical finishing :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
i think u have just quoted the only 2 they created...testament to our play

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea

Well said

notes14

May 31, 2011
Hove
Razak was sent back to Man City after Dicker recovered from injury. That's why he is not playing.[/QUOTE]

Surely you wouldn't send a player back that is way better than your two other options in a particular position?
Razak went back because he wasn't happy with not playing after having a stormer of a debut against Ipswich at home. Subsequently he fell out with Gus and that was the end of him. Fair enough he shouldn't have thrown his toys out of the pram and it's a shit attitude to have, but maybe a little bit of man management and Gus could have included him a bit more and we may have got the results that we needed from the last few games had we had an additional class player in the middle of the park

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Last night's game in my eyes, was the most entertaining game of football at the Amex this season. Total value for money, edge of seat stuff. If we play like that on Saturday we will scare the shit out of West Ham and then win the next two at home, with Watford's season hopefully over and Birmingham secure in fourth. Suddenly I believe again. Gus went up a notch imo last night. If he brings back the Bridcutt and Navarro pairing on Saturday then the man needs sacking. Play with one, not the other, Dicker did not have a great game last night but the difference going forward was there for all to see.

pea

Dec 28, 2011
North Laine
We had injuries to our three CM's and none of the players on the pitch had started a game for us in central midfield, and you could tell, we simply didnt have one. Kebe played his worst game ever (and that is saying something as he spent his first year as the boo boy before becoming a God), he looked injured and Roberts spent most his time on the wing because Kebe wasn't there.

All those things considered I think we actually did ok. Before the last month our defence had conceded only one goal all season when we had scored first, so it was no surprise that we got the goal and shut up shop. Our central defenders didn't let your strikers get in the game and I thought Cummings was very good at right back. Feds was the star but the defensive unit was strong and for most of the game you were restricted to long shots that he could deal with comfortably.

For a while we've been playing a game where we let the opposition have a lot of the ball and just let them pass it around in non-threatening areas. Its been more effective in other games (you did actually create goalscoring opportunities unlike most teams) and in Vicente you have a player who can make those 'non-threatening areas' suddenly dangerous. So in some ways you were a cut above all the other teams we've beaten in this run, but I wouldn't get overly carried away with your apparent dominance, you had a lot of pressure but were only a threat on a handful of occassions, and we have the backup plan of currently the best goalkeeper in the division so get us out of those situations.

That has been the key to our success, its not pretty or awe-inspiring, and we were awful going forward yesterday admittedly, but its damn effective and just about did the trick last night despite us being off-colour.

I didn't realise Navarro was on the pitch until just now though :s, that is the sort of player you need to replace if you are to challenge at the top next season (and getting a keeper that can kick would help).

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gus reckon's 72 points will be enough. I can't see it. Can you ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here