Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Game of thrones

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I haven't read the books but guess the TV adaption will have to deviate in order to keep viewer ratings at a scale where it doesn't get cancelled in the US sweeps.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Just out of interest as well, who are people's favourite characters either from the books or from the TV series?

For me it's definitely Stannis, I wasn't sure about his portrayal in the series at first but he's growing on me. I loved his correction of Davos' grammar in last week's episode, perfect pedantry of almost NSC standard. Beyond him, Tyrion is brilliant in both the books and series, and on more minor notes (in terms of the overall story) I also like Jaqen H'ghar and Oberyn Martell (The Red Viper).

Love tyrion. I think bron is underrated though. He is exactly like I picture him in the book.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Love tyrion. I think bron is underrated though. He is exactly like I picture him in the book.

Bronn is definitely very well played, hard to believe it's the same bloke who was partly responsible for this:

[yt]f5UlB4Yw1wQ[/yt]

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On a Game of Thrones note, if anyone here happens to be Twitter-inclined, do a search for the hashtag #FakeWesteros and you'll find people doing parody accounts of all the main characters. I stumbled on it by accident, but there's some mildly amusing stuff in there.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Talking of ratings... the last two eps of Alcatraz got low ratings and there are suggestions that will also be cancelled.

GOT - superior TV!

They better not !!!! I'm well into this series and developing a crush on Sarah Jones :love:

Game of Thrones on the other hand I gave up on after the third episode of the first series.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Found a little guide as to what's likely to be safe or cancelled

SAFE (already renewed or a strong bet to return): American Dad, Blue Bloods, Bones, Castle, Criminal Minds, CSI, Family Guy, Glee, Grey’s Anatomy, Grimm, Happy Endings, Hawaii Five-0, How I Met Your Mother, Last Man Standing, Law & Order: SVU, Mike & Molly, Modern Family, NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, New Girl, Once Upon a Time, Person of Interest, Raising Hope, Revenge, Smash, Suburgatory, Supernatural, The Big Bang Theory, The Cleveland Show, The Good Wife, The Mentalist, The Middle, The Office, The Simpsons, The Vampire Diaries, 30 Rock, Touch, Two and a Half Men, 2 Broke Girls.

ON THE BUBBLE (could go either way): Awake, Bob’s Burgers, Body of Proof, Community, Cougar Town, CSI: Miami, CSI: New York, Fringe, GCB, Gossip Girl, Harry’s Law, Missing, Nikita, 90210, Parenthood, Parks and Recreation, Private Practice, Rob, Rules of Engagement, Scandal, Unforgettable, Up All Night, Whitney.

BYE-BYE (miracles notwithstanding): A Gifted Man, Alcatraz, Are You There, Chelsea?, Bent, Best Friends Forever, Breaking In, Hart of Dixie, Napoleon Dynamite, Ringer, The Finder, The River, The Secret Circle.

ALREADY AXED (we hardly knew ye): Allen Gregory, Charlie’s Angels, Free Agents, How To Be a Gentleman, I Hate My Teenage Daughter, Man Up, Pan Am, Prime Suspect, Terra Nova, The Firm, The Playboy Club, Work It.

LAST STANDS (at least they get/got a series finale): Chuck, Desperate Housewives, House, One Tree Hill.

Shame about Alcatraz as I liked it, same with Terra Nova, it had potential but it took way too long to get interesting.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Just started the 5th book in the series. Reviews are a bit scathing but one can hardly stop now.

I found a Dance With Dragons to be a bit...meh, to be honest. There are a couple of interesting bits but it doesn't make giant leaps in terms of advancing the overall story.

I'm hoping for more from the last two, Winds Of Winter and A Dream Of Spring, although god alone knows how long we'll have to wait for them to be written.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I found a Dance With Dragons to be a bit...meh, to be honest. There are a couple of interesting bits but it doesn't make giant leaps in terms of advancing the overall story.

I'm hoping for more from the last two, Winds Of Winter and A Dream Of Spring, although god alone knows how long we'll have to wait for them to be written.

No I agree... The ending put the cat amongst the pigeons though. I love these books but I have one thing to say to GRRM: STOP KILLING MY FAVOURITE CHARACTERS!!

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
2 episodes lest then an 8 1/2 month break how do we all feel the series is progressing? Also head a rumor that GRRM has told the series producer everything that happens in case he dies before finihing the book. Worrying.......

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
2 episodes lest then an 8 1/2 month break how do we all feel the series is progressing? Also head a rumor that GRRM has told the series producer everything that happens in case he dies before finihing the book. Worrying.......

I love this show more than any other in my life. And that includes Airwolf as a 10 year old.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
BTW there's loads of Game of Thrones actors on twitter. Hodor (@kristianNarin) replies to everone!!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
How BRILLIANT was Episode Nine?

Lena Headey, Peter Dinklage and Rory McCann need awards of some kind for that.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
How BRILLIANT was Episode Nine?

Lena Headey, Peter Dinklage and Rory McCann need awards of some kind for that.

Thought it was superb tonight, didn't think they would be able to make the battle of blackwater last that long but it was done really well.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
so who fancies lending me a book to get me started? there's a bag of chips in it for you. not proliferate enough yet to be in every charity shop (like HP) and so far only expensive collections/new books on amazon. tsk.

loving the show. don't spoil it for me... but tyrion better not be dead. he took a vicious swipe to the chops, after all...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here