Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Game of thrones

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe Arya can take his face
Can someone help me with understanding how the face thing works (I'm confused despite having seen every episode)?

So they get a name and kill someone. They treat that person's body, and put their face in a room. When they want to look like someone else, does it just happen, or are they supposed to go to that room?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Can someone help me with understanding how the face thing works (I'm confused despite having seen every episode)?

So they get a name and kill someone. They treat that person's body, and put their face in a room. When they want to look like someone else, does it just happen, or are they supposed to go to that room?

Once they've killed someone, they take the body to the room and do what they do to it (which we saw last season) and then they can use that face to become that person. There's some level of magic/religion to it which hasn't really been explained.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Do they have to go to the room and put it on, or can they just do it any time they feel like it?

I don't think it's properly explained in the show, but looking up on google I found this from a wiki page:

'The Faceless Men cure the faces of the dead who come to die in their sanctuary, hanging these in deep vaults below the temple as macabre masks for use in their disguises during assassination contracts. These are more than masks, however, and the wearer assumes the true appearance when applied using a tribute of one's own blood to moisten the application. In this way, the Faceless Men are using tools as part of their disguise, rather than a reliance on glamours or outright magic for disguises.[3]'

That suggests that at least in the books they have to go into the vault to collect a face, you can't just assume the identity of anyone you like. The TV show could be a different story entirely.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That suggests that at least in the books they have to go into the vault to collect a face, you can't just assume the identity of anyone you like. The TV show could be a different story entirely.
It has to be, as when Arya meets Jaqan, he's able to change appearance without going near the temple. It does seem to make sense, as the faces don't need to be used.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm behind the curve as I got out of the habit and have only just got my Sky Boxsets thing back. I'm halfway through S5 now, and loving it. Delighted I've got loads to catch up on.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It has to be, as when Arya meets Jaqan, he's able to change appearance without going near the temple. It does seem to make sense, as the faces don't need to be used.

It may just be that the faces need to be put in the temple so they can be preserved and used over time in the future.

A one off use after the owner has died may be fine but then the face will decay as it would in nature.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Cracking second episode - after a bit of a slow burner start it's back into familiar GOT territory. Great ending.

It's all about the dragons innit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suspect Cersei is going to be quite cruel in episode 3.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Excellent episode. The series is getting better and better.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Bloody hell, tonight's episode was incredible - can't wait for next week.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Bloody hell, tonight's episode was incredible - can't wait for next week.

Great episode but last 15 minutes were right up there with the best bits of the series. Just as good as Hardhome and battle of the *******s.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here