Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play off run in. Team by Team.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Thought provoking thread but beyond working out that the last two games will be crucial I am really none the wiser :lol:

I do agree though that at this stage and given the uneven results, all season let alone recently, it is very much a case of "what if" as I have given up on trying to predict results.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
As much as Adkins gratted last season he's done a good job with the Saints in his time there. Though i think i'll give up watching MOTD next season if he's on it - "We'll assess this game, warm down, draw a line under it and move on to the next one".

If Gus features it'll be worth the agony of listening to Adkins. Or i'll use the mute button.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
3 of our 4 home games are very tough and I still think we dont score enough goals away from home. So I am going for glorious failure.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm still a tad pessimistic about our chances of being in the top six come the last day, but then that is probably born out of being a Brighton fan too long. Hope I'm proved wrong, but see us just missing out.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Southampton, blah blah blah. They're not there yet. It's still tight between them, Reading and West Ham. Nine games left to play, anything could happen. As was proved earlier in the season, and when we stuffed them 3-0 with our reserve team, they are not infallible. I'd certainly like to see how they'd cope if Lambert got injured.

3 of our 4 home games are very tough and I still think we dont score enough goals away from home. So I am going for glorious failure.

Yes but - that is why we WILL get in the Play Offs because our tough games are at home.

Note to OP - Forest only has one "r" - sorry couldn't let it go.

Jan 12, 2012
You best get some points in the next three games because after that your only good chance of 3 points is the chokers on the last day!

Really ?
Brum- Too many games, may have hit the wall.
Saints- Toughy, i'll give you that one.
Ipswich- Nothing to play for.
Pompey- Unsure, had a good win against Brum, maybe down by then ?
Reading- Could be up by then.
Cardiff- We'll win with a last minute penalty.
Its all guesswork isn't it, no game in the run in is predictable

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I've updated Drumstick's original post. All teams now have six games remaining.

Leaving out Saints, Reading and West Ham leaving just 3 play off spots this is the run in games v current top 9 teams will be in red.

Birmingham

Palace (Home)
West Ham (Away)
Bristol City (Home)
Ipswich (Away)
Brighton (Away)
Reading (Home)

3 of the top 9 teams.

Blackpool

Watford (Away)
Barnsley (Home)
Forest (Away)
Leeds (Home)
Burnley (Home)
Millwall (Away)

0 of the top 9 teams.

Brighton

Burnley (Away)
Reading (Home)
West Ham (Away)
Watford (Home)
Birmingham (Home)
Barnsley (Away)

3 of the top 9 teams.

Middlesbrough

Cardiff (Home)
Hull (Away)
Derby (Away)
Doncaster (Home)
Southampton (Home)
Watford (Away)

3 of the top 9 teams.

Cardiff

Middlesbrough (Away)
Watford (Home)
Barnsley (Away)
Derby (Home)
Leeds (Home)
Palace (Away)

1 of the top 9 teams.

Hull

Millwall (Away)
Middlesbrough (Home)
Watford (Away)
Barnsley (Home)
Forest (Home)
West Ham (Away)

2 of the top 9 teams.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Hull have an easy-ish looking run in but have only won one fo their last ten games including four straight defeats so they're going to need a sharp turnaround in form if they want to sneak in. However with only 38 goals scored in 40 games and not particularly impressive home or away records(7 defeats each on the road and at home) that looks unlikely.

Cardiff also have a fairly easy run in but again their form isn't great, just eleven points from their last ten games and no wins in five. If that winless run stretches any further then they'll do very well to recover and get a play off place. In their favour they are hard to beat(only 9 defeats all season) so if they have a little bit of luck they can turn some of those draws into wins and become serious contenders again.

I can't make my mind up on Middleborough. Clearly they're a decent team they don't lose often(like Cardiff only 9 times so far) yet recently they haven't been able to buy a win. It's six games in a row now without a win. I think they might rectify that soon with games coming up against faltering hopefuls Cardiff and Hull. They could do themselves(and ourselves, Blackpool and Birmingham) a big favour by beating Cardiff. I think they are a real threat to our play off hopes so hopefully after they've beaten cardiff they'll resort to their run of draws and defeats...

As for Blackpool, they're the team that I fear the most for some reason. After looking at their form, I'm not too sure why-four wins and four defeats in their last ten. They do, however, have the easiest run in of everyone so I expect them to win more than they lose in the next six games. They're looking good at the moment for a place in the play offs.

Birmingham are now in the driving seat for a play off place. Back to back wins have left them three points clear of the pack in fourth and they also have the best goal difference of all the teams. Like us they have a mixed run in-three tough games and three(on paper...) not so tough. Our game against them at the Amex looks like it could be absolutely massive in terms of our play off chances.

So, to take a guess, I'd say it'll end very similarly to how it is now. I think Brum and Blackpool will get in there and then the last place will be down to us or Middlesborough(or Cardiff if they can re-kick start their season).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Hull have an easy-ish looking run in but have only won one fo their last ten games including four straight defeats so they're going to need a sharp turnaround in form if they want to sneak in. However with only 38 goals scored in 40 games and not particularly impressive home or away records(7 defeats each on the road and at home) that looks unlikely.

Cardiff also have a fairly easy run in but again their form isn't great, just eleven points from their last ten games and no wins in five. If that winless run stretches any further then they'll do very well to recover and get a play off place. In their favour they are hard to beat(only 9 defeats all season) so if they have a little bit of luck they can turn some of those draws into wins and become serious contenders again.

I can't make my mind up on Middleborough. Clearly they're a decent team they don't lose often(like Cardiff only 9 times so far) yet recently they haven't been able to buy a win. It's six games in a row now without a win. I think they might rectify that soon with games coming up against faltering hopefuls Cardiff and Hull. They could do themselves(and ourselves, Blackpool and Birmingham) a big favour by beating Cardiff. I think they are a real threat to our play off hopes so hopefully after they've beaten cardiff they'll resort to their run of draws and defeats...

As for Blackpool, they're the team that I fear the most for some reason. After looking at their form, I'm not too sure why-four wins and four defeats in their last ten. They do, however, have the easiest run in of everyone so I expect them to win more than they lose in the next six games. They're looking good at the moment for a place in the play offs.

Birmingham are now in the driving seat for a play off place. Back to back wins have left them three points clear of the pack in fourth and they also have the best goal difference of all the teams. Like us they have a mixed run in-three tough games and three(on paper...) not so tough. Our game against them at the Amex looks like it could be absolutely massive in terms of our play off chances.

So, to take a guess, I'd say it'll end very similarly to how it is now. I think Brum and Blackpool will get in there and then the last place will be down to us or Middlesborough(or Cardiff if they can re-kick start their season).

Good summary. Brum and Blackpool look to be in control of 2 places. Only thing I'd change is that I'd want a Boro v Cardiff draw, we can't afford either to get any, even slight, impetus

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here