Please help support NSC by buying from Amazon

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 98

Thread: The Osborne " we're are all in it together " Budget

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In the land of hope and expectation....
    Posts
    3,088

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What appears clear by the responses so far is that nearly everyone wants to tax 'someone else', or have tax breals to suit them.

    A swimming pool tax ffs. Really, that is just so much the tax of jealousy. It's not even a good indicator of real wealth.

    The main aims should be to encourage investment by business. So many firms are sitting on huge balance sheets, but won't invest. Incentivise them. To create wealth, you need to encourage entrepreneurship/risk taking. However, when people are successful, the 'green eyed' envy people want them to be taxed at extortionate rates.

    Have a real plan to close loopholes, where, for example, someone like Philip Green who (allegedly) has his dividends paid to his wife who is resident of Monaco, thereby avoiding paying tax in the UK. Bring the top tax rate down to 40%. It's widely accepted the high tax rates don't increase the tax take, as the rich will then work hardre to avoid payiung it. When Thatcher cut the tax rates early in here first term, the tax take increased, as it reduced the incentive to avoid paying tax.

    Increase the tax threshold to help the lower paid.
    Rationalise stamp duty on house purchases (similar to US above), but I would change the rules at £1m. I would add another bracket at say £2-3m of say 6% or 7%.


    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        

       

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    13,420

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdene Seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tax on aviation fuel.
    Will do nothing but damage the economy if brought in unilaterally.

    International flights will just ensure they can fuel at the other end in every possible scenario thus depriving airports of a revenue stream. Seeing as the UK has so many airports this could easily lead to bankruptcies and closures of smaller international airports. You could also see situations where a plane would have to take on fuel in the UK - TATL or similar - doing a hop arrangement like BA001 does - it can't get off the ground with enough fuel to cross the Atlantic anyway so it drops in to Shannon to fuel up and let the passengers use US preclearance.

    Domestic flights would just get dearer, increasing the cost of doing business in the UK and reducing their viability, see above for what that could do to airports.
    Busy running out of time.

  3. #33
    Drew drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,868

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by larus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What appears clear by the responses so far is that nearly everyone wants to tax 'someone else', or have tax breals to suit them.

    A swimming pool tax ffs. Really, that is just so much the tax of jealousy. It's not even a good indicator of real wealth.

    The main aims should be to encourage investment by business. So many firms are sitting on huge balance sheets, but won't invest. Incentivise them. To create wealth, you need to encourage entrepreneurship/risk taking. However, when people are successful, the 'green eyed' envy people want them to be taxed at extortionate rates.

    Have a real plan to close loopholes, where, for example, someone like Philip Green who (allegedly) has his dividends paid to his wife who is resident of Monaco, thereby avoiding paying tax in the UK. Bring the top tax rate down to 40%. It's widely accepted the high tax rates don't increase the tax take, as the rich will then work hardre to avoid payiung it. When Thatcher cut the tax rates early in here first term, the tax take increased, as it reduced the incentive to avoid paying tax.

    Increase the tax threshold to help the lower paid.
    Rationalise stamp duty on house purchases (similar to US above), but I would change the rules at £1m. I would add another bracket at say £2-3m of say 6% or 7%.
    Can you give some evidence re your assertion that tax revenues under Thatcher increased due to cut in tax rates?

  4. #34
    Super Moderator edna krabappel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Mid Sussex
    Posts
    36,793

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Kemal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fags are already expensive enough. £7.50 for a pack of 20 Marlboro lights is outrageous. All kinds of people smoke, but it still is a fundamentally working class activity - and many unemployed struggle to pay for their smoking habits as it is (it's an addiction and as important as food to many people)
    Give over. Yes, it's an addiction, but you also need food to survive, and if it's a choice between spending £232.50 a month on fags or ensuring your kids have shoes on their feet and enough to eat, then you damn well give up smoking.

    I can't bear listening to people claiming to be on the poverty line while spending over fifty quid a week on cigarettes. If I can't afford a particular luxury, I don't bloody buy it. End of.
    The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.

  5. #35
    North Stand Brighton Boy catfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    6,272

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I would just like the whole system to be fair. Very naive of me, especially with the country in the hands of Old Etonians.
    See you in the morning down by the jetty.

  6. #36
    Registered User e77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    5,830

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Make more benefits means tested.
    Unreasonable drinker

  7. #37
    Half Hawaiian Half Greek Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tamarindo, Guanacaste, COSTA RICA
    Posts
    2,955

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    They put this poster up in Brockley today....

    Γλάροι σκατά για αετούς
    Nene 'au-kai ka'eka'e i 'aeko



  8. #38
    Registered User Uncle Spielberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Southwick
    Posts
    39,073

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by edna krabappel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Give over. Yes, it's an addiction, but you also need food to survive, and if it's a choice between spending £232.50 a month on fags or ensuring your kids have shoes on their feet and enough to eat, then you damn well give up smoking.

    I can't bear listening to people claiming to be on the poverty line while spending over fifty quid a week on cigarettes. If I can't afford a particular luxury, I don't bloody buy it. End of.
    Are you ADDICTED to anything though Edna ?
    Spielberg is GOD.

  9. #39
    A. Virgo, Football Genius
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    16,229

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by e77 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Make more benefits means tested.
    this is the answer to much of the public funding issues, but its politically unpopular on both sides.
    Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.

  10. #40
    Registered User cloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Here, there and everywhere
    Posts
    2,489

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bring back mortgage relief
    Change stamp duty thresholds so you pay 1% and then 2%, rather than 1% and then 3%

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Brighton and Hove Border. Just orf The Drove in Brighton not Hove
    Posts
    20,379

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    £1 per cigarette

    All unemployed people to have to work to receive benefits, it has to be done.

    Means test all other benefits except JSA.

    Reintroduce the Poll Tax.
    I don't care what you say to me. The whole first season at The Amex, I went to all Gus Poyet's pre match press conferences. I asked the great man what I wanted , when I wanted. It's something money can't buy.

    !!

  12. #42

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Didn't realize that the government make so much out of fags. A £6.50 packet of 20, the Government pockets around £5.25. If everyone one gave up then they'd have to increase tax else where as Billions from smokers are channeld into the NHS or the NHS would go bust.

  13. #43
    Registered User CorgiRegisteredFriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boring By Sea
    Posts
    4,158

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Reintroduce smoking in pubs.
    Allow supermarkets to sell cheap booze.
    Premium lager/beer to remain at 5% alcohol instead of planned 4.8%
    Save the public sector from privatisation
    Invest in public transport
    Ban all Heart FM radio stations from broadcasting now and forever


    We only live once. Let us enjoy it Mr Obsborne.

  14. #44

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    And cut the benefit rise of 5.8% to zero.

  15. #45
    Registered User e77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    5,830

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this is the answer to much of the public funding issues, but its politically unpopular on both sides.
    Probably because it would affect the much mooted Middle England vote.
    Unreasonable drinker

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •