Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Osborne " we're are all in it together " Budget

Cigarettes up 70p a packet.
Scrap Road Fund License and add it to the cost to fuel - it would mean those that use pay.
Hold fuel tax itself.
Agree with US's Stamp Duty idea but would add an extra band of 10% for properties of £10m+.
Second home tax of £5k per year.
Derelict building tax of 10% of value per year. If the owners can't be traced then local authority can automatically take possession after a year.
Tax on aviation fuel.
Swimming pool tax ( for private ones only ) of £1k a year.
Increase the personal allowance.

The road fund license has already been scrapped for many cars and fuel tax rises recently have added loads more than the cost of tax to fuel already.

2nd home tax idea is crazy. Is it still to be £5k for a mansion or a beach hut with a bed in?

Tax on Aviation fuel in crazy as 90% of flights leave our shores, so planes would just fill up elsewhere or not fly here. If aviation fuel has to be taxed, it would need to be done by all countries.

We are already taxing flying to the hilt with passenger duty, which in turn means less visitors and less money spent in the UK, causing greater unemployment. In the next few years, Amsterdam could overtake LHR as the main euro hub, again costing 1000's of jobs.

Why the swimming pool tax? It costs a fortune in water. Tax is paid on the gas to heat it as well as the chemicals to clean it. A man is employed to come and service it........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Least surprising post of the year surely.

True.

I made a few comments about his lack of commitment earlier this year and was asked to put my money where my mouth is and sponsor him, which I did. I thought if he is going to step up to the plate then respect is due and I should do the same. Alas, like everything else HBnB says it was total bullshit. Forever a mouse.

D

Deleted User X18H

True.

I made a few comments about his lack of commitment earlier this year and was asked to put my money where my mouth is and sponsor him, which I did. I thought if he is going to step up to the plate then respect is due and I should do the same. Alas, like everything else HBnB says it was total bullshit. Forever a mouse.

Very motivational!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can you give some evidence re your assertion that tax revenues under Thatcher increased due to cut in tax rates?
I suspect larus is right there, but you have to remember we were being massively over-taxed at the time she came into power. What I would say is that I doubt this anecdotal example can be used as any sort of assertion that lowering tax from our current rates of tax will reduce the incentive to avoid paying tax at all.
And this swimming pool tax. Clearly a silly idea, but then it was a tongue in cheek idea in the first place wasn't it? Stamp duty needs to be looked at. I don't mind the incremental rates, but don't understand why it isn't staggered like income tax. Very odd.

Overall, I'd just like to see a bit of HONESTY from whomever is in power really. Time to lower VAT from their absurd levels, and ditch National Insurance and roll it into income tax. People ought to be able to understand what they're paying in tax. And if overall tax revenues still needs to be increased, please just add a penny to all rates of income tax rather than buggering about with the salary ceilings.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
tobacco tax revenue = £10bn a year
smoking related illness costs £2.7bn a year

sports injuries cost the NHS over £5bn a year

obesity costs £4bn a year

f*** it lets just tax everything people may enjoy
I simply don't believe any of that.

You're telling us that it costs twice as much for the NHS to treat sports injuries (backs, the occasional cracked rib, broken bones) than to treat lung cancer and heart disease which are direct causes of smoking, along with a host of other ailments that could be partly attributed to an unhealthy lifestyle?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My dad has received probably the best part of £ 250000 plus in treatment from the NHS in the last 6 years and he never smoked a cigarette in his life.

Oct 25, 2003
Give over. Yes, it's an addiction, but you also need food to survive, and if it's a choice between spending £232.50 a month on fags or ensuring your kids have shoes on their feet and enough to eat, then you damn well give up smoking.

I can't bear listening to people claiming to be on the poverty line while spending over fifty quid a week on cigarettes. If I can't afford a particular luxury, I don't bloody buy it. End of.

who the hell spends £50 a WEEK on fags?

usually between £3 and £4 for me, maybe more if i go out on the weekend...let's say £10 tops

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Loads of people spend £ 50 a week on fags. A 20 a day person would spend at least £ 50. Quite a lot of smokers smoke 40-60 a day so that's up to £ 150 a week.

Oct 25, 2003
Loads of people spend £ 50 a week on fags. A 20 a day person would spend at least £ 50. Quite a lot of smokers smoke 40-60 a day so that's up to £ 150 a week.

rule number one- DON'T SMOKE STRAIGHTS

rolling tobacco is about half the price of straights.......i genuinely have no idea why anyone smokes straights, they're outrageously overpriced

you can get a 12.5g pack of tobacco for less than £3.50 in some places....can get about 20 smokes out of that....papers and filters are cheap as f*** as well

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
All that will happen with regional pay rates for civil servants and white collar public sector workers is all back office jobs will migrate to the north.

When the public sector are shedding jobs like dandruff, and not recruiting people, the notion that the private sector can't compete for recruitment on the basis of salaries paid is a completely specious arguement.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And this swimming pool tax. Clearly a silly idea, but then it was a tongue in cheek idea in the first place wasn't it?

It was indeed - it's as daft as a mansion tax. Having either a swimming pool or a house that has multiplied in value does not reflect someone's ability to pay. Highly taxing expensive homes AFTER the point of purchase is as equally a tax of envy as would a tax on swimming pools. I do stand by the increase in fag tax though !

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'd raise the tax on real ale by a pound a pint, lager and cider would be unaffected. :moo:

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone over 6 foot tall should be taxed at £ 1000 an inch per annum.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here