Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Osborne " we're are all in it together " Budget

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I know, it's just that you were changing it for houses just under £1m.
Yeah, bastard foreigners. What have they ever done for us.

They have money, we don't. Thats it. Nothing to £ 250k as we need a stimulus for ftb's and fts's. 1% from 3% now for £ 250k-£ 500k to get the middle band going, phasing to 3% as below

to £ 250k - nil
£ 250k-£ 500k - 1% for first £ 250k and then 3% for amount over
£ 500k - £ 1m - 3% for first £ 500k and then 4% for amount over
Over £ 1m - 5%

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Cigarettes up 70p a packet.
Scrap Road Fund License and add it to the cost to fuel - it would mean those that use pay.
Hold fuel tax itself.
Agree with US's Stamp Duty idea but would add an extra band of 10% for properties of £10m+.
Second home tax of £5k per year.
Derelict building tax of 10% of value per year. If the owners can't be traced then local authority can automatically take possession after a year.
Tax on aviation fuel.
Swimming pool tax ( for private ones only ) of £1k a year.
Increase the personal allowance.

Metering in mandatory for those of us with pools maybe a tax on jealousy for you?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Metering in mandatory for those of us with pools maybe a tax on jealousy for you?

Agreed, why tax on swimming pools? Just sounds like arbitrary bitterness.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Appoint a "Tax Czar" who's sole remit is to pursue tax avoiders and get them to pay what they should.
Introduce a bonus tax of 50% on all bonuses that exceed half the salary.
Remove child benefit from all households earning over £50k
Increase tobacco duty by £2.50 for a packet of 20.
Make the Scots pay for their prescriptions. And universities.
Remove universal free bus travel for the over 60s if they own a car.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Provide some competition to the banks re lending to small business ...at non ripoff rates and outlaw tht Angela Knight (speaks for the banks) she's so annoying
All bonus's over a certain level to b paid in shares tht can't b sold for 5 years
Stick a independent director on the board of RBS and LLoyds to oversee all there operations
Child benefit only to be paid re the first 2 children
Abolish national insurance and increase tax rates ...can't c the point of both being administered
Subsidised cycles for all not just those ride to work schemes
Car tax abolished add to fuel
Etc etc

Dandyman

In London village.
you mean reduce the relief shirley? there's big call to remove the 40% allowance for higher rate payers, which i wouldnt be surprised comes up.

I would encourage employers to provide pensions for all their employees. I would agree that there is a discussion to be had about variations in tax rates but employers should not be allowed to have excuses for massive pension pots for Directors and a pittance, if anything at all, for most employees.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Stamp Duty phasing.

None to £ 250000.
1% £ 250000 - £ 500000
3% over £ 500000 but only pro rata, ie £ 250000 still at 1%
5% over £ 1 000 000 - on the whole amount

To get the lower bands and middle bands moving and the property market out of stagnation. The country needs a healthy property market whether we like it or not.

Have to agree with this. The application of stamp duty seems to have such a negative affect and a disincentive. How many people have bought a house for £249k and spent about £30k on fixtures and fittings?

Fags are already expensive enough. £7.50 for a pack of 20 Marlboro lights is outrageous. All kinds of people smoke, but it still is a fundamentally working class activity - and many unemployed struggle to pay for their smoking habits as it is (it's an addiction and as important as food to many people)
If you are unemployed then perhaps you should be cutting back anyway.

I think the tax on empty properties is a good incentive for owners to do something with them as would a tax on some companies like Tesco who have massive land banks, many of which are done as a preventative measure to stop the opposition building there.

The idea of a tax czar is good but will never happen as the people it attacks are more likely to be those that fund Osbourne and his ilk.

Swimming pool tax is just dumb.

We all know that the tories will sell any tax breaks on the rich as an attempt to stimulate the economy and encourate entreprenure rather than what it is in that it is just putting money back into the pockets of their supporters. At the other end of the scale, the poor will be hit harder especially the public sector. The government are spouting on about removing national pay scales which in itself is not necessarily bad however my wife has already lost a cost of living allowance from BSUH which was only introduced to try and balance out some of the inequalities created by national pay scales. So not just a pay freeze but also a reduction of over 1% of your salary.

We now have the ludicrous assertion that during the Olympics all the large stores will open for as long as they like to boost the economy. Where will that leave the small traders. At the end of the day, people will not spend more, they will just change where they spend it. There will be winners, the big companies, and losers.

larus

What appears clear by the responses so far is that nearly everyone wants to tax 'someone else', or have tax breals to suit them.

A swimming pool tax ffs. Really, that is just so much the tax of jealousy. It's not even a good indicator of real wealth.

The main aims should be to encourage investment by business. So many firms are sitting on huge balance sheets, but won't invest. Incentivise them. To create wealth, you need to encourage entrepreneurship/risk taking. However, when people are successful, the 'green eyed' envy people want them to be taxed at extortionate rates.

Have a real plan to close loopholes, where, for example, someone like Philip Green who (allegedly) has his dividends paid to his wife who is resident of Monaco, thereby avoiding paying tax in the UK. Bring the top tax rate down to 40%. It's widely accepted the high tax rates don't increase the tax take, as the rich will then work hardre to avoid payiung it. When Thatcher cut the tax rates early in here first term, the tax take increased, as it reduced the incentive to avoid paying tax.

Increase the tax threshold to help the lower paid.
Rationalise stamp duty on house purchases (similar to US above), but I would change the rules at £1m. I would add another bracket at say £2-3m of say 6% or 7%.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Tax on aviation fuel.

Will do nothing but damage the economy if brought in unilaterally.

International flights will just ensure they can fuel at the other end in every possible scenario thus depriving airports of a revenue stream. Seeing as the UK has so many airports this could easily lead to bankruptcies and closures of smaller international airports. You could also see situations where a plane would have to take on fuel in the UK - TATL or similar - doing a hop arrangement like BA001 does - it can't get off the ground with enough fuel to cross the Atlantic anyway so it drops in to Shannon to fuel up and let the passengers use US preclearance.

Domestic flights would just get dearer, increasing the cost of doing business in the UK and reducing their viability, see above for what that could do to airports.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What appears clear by the responses so far is that nearly everyone wants to tax 'someone else', or have tax breals to suit them.

A swimming pool tax ffs. Really, that is just so much the tax of jealousy. It's not even a good indicator of real wealth.

The main aims should be to encourage investment by business. So many firms are sitting on huge balance sheets, but won't invest. Incentivise them. To create wealth, you need to encourage entrepreneurship/risk taking. However, when people are successful, the 'green eyed' envy people want them to be taxed at extortionate rates.

Have a real plan to close loopholes, where, for example, someone like Philip Green who (allegedly) has his dividends paid to his wife who is resident of Monaco, thereby avoiding paying tax in the UK. Bring the top tax rate down to 40%. It's widely accepted the high tax rates don't increase the tax take, as the rich will then work hardre to avoid payiung it. When Thatcher cut the tax rates early in here first term, the tax take increased, as it reduced the incentive to avoid paying tax.

Increase the tax threshold to help the lower paid.
Rationalise stamp duty on house purchases (similar to US above), but I would change the rules at £1m. I would add another bracket at say £2-3m of say 6% or 7%.

Can you give some evidence re your assertion that tax revenues under Thatcher increased due to cut in tax rates?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Fags are already expensive enough. £7.50 for a pack of 20 Marlboro lights is outrageous. All kinds of people smoke, but it still is a fundamentally working class activity - and many unemployed struggle to pay for their smoking habits as it is (it's an addiction and as important as food to many people)

Give over. Yes, it's an addiction, but you also need food to survive, and if it's a choice between spending £232.50 a month on fags or ensuring your kids have shoes on their feet and enough to eat, then you damn well give up smoking.

I can't bear listening to people claiming to be on the poverty line while spending over fifty quid a week on cigarettes. If I can't afford a particular luxury, I don't bloody buy it. End of.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I would just like the whole system to be fair. Very naive of me, especially with the country in the hands of Old Etonians.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Give over. Yes, it's an addiction, but you also need food to survive, and if it's a choice between spending £232.50 a month on fags or ensuring your kids have shoes on their feet and enough to eat, then you damn well give up smoking.

I can't bear listening to people claiming to be on the poverty line while spending over fifty quid a week on cigarettes. If I can't afford a particular luxury, I don't bloody buy it. End of.

Are you ADDICTED to anything though Edna ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Make more benefits means tested.

this is the answer to much of the public funding issues, but its politically unpopular on both sides.

D

Deleted User X18H

£1 per cigarette

All unemployed people to have to work to receive benefits, it has to be done.

Means test all other benefits except JSA.

Reintroduce the Poll Tax.

Humbug

Banned
Dec 30, 2009
Didn't realize that the government make so much out of fags. A £6.50 packet of 20, the Government pockets around £5.25. If everyone one gave up then they'd have to increase tax else where as Billions from smokers are channeld into the NHS or the NHS would go bust.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here