Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains after midweek games

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Hi,

I have got the first train back from Falmer to Lewes on the last two midweek games and I am shocked at how few people the "attendants" allow to get on these trains. There is loads of space for more people to get on the first train.

Quite often to me the train seems less crowded than it would be for a normal London morning commute (i.e there is loads of standing space). The next train is not normally for another 15 minutes after this one at night time when everyone is looking to get home. Getting more people on the first train would allow more people to get away quicker and reduce queueing for others.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Ive always seen every train leave full up, its probably for safety anyway.

Have you been inside them? V Millwall and Cardiff I got the first one back and there was loads of space for people to stand in the aisles (as you would do on any London commuter train, also 50%+ probably get off at the first stop 5 mins down the road in Lewes, so slight overcrowding should be allieviated very quickly).

I understand that there needs to be some control and it would seem they do it on numbers but IMO they should increase those numbers. For the Cardiff one I was part of the group that was the last 30 to get on that train (I know that because we were originally stopped and the steward counted us 30 on to the platform) and you could have got so many more people on the train. I was about number 20 and I got a seat on the train, no problem.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Have you been inside them? V Millwall and Cardiff I got the first one back and there was loads of space for people to stand in the aisles (as you would do on any London commuter train, also 50%+ probably get off at the first stop 5 mins down the road in Lewes, so slight overcrowding should be allieviated very quickly).

I understand that there needs to be some control and it would seem they do it on numbers but IMO they should increase those numbers. For the Cardiff one I was part of the group that was the last 30 to get on that train (I know that because we were originally stopped and the steward counted us 30 on to the platform) and you could have got so many more people on the train. I was about number 20 and I got a seat on the train, no problem.

Depends when it had to leave, trains have to leave on time - if that means sending out half empty then thats what it has to do. What doesnt help is people moving right down inside the train too.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Depends when it had to leave, trains have to leave on time - if that means sending out half empty then thats what it has to do. What doesnt help is people moving right down inside the train too.

No, it has got nothing to do with that. The steward counted 30 of us onto the platform we still had to wait a good 5/10 minutes for the train to arrive (and we were the last 30 people to get on the train) while others were queuing and were not allowed on the platform.

It is twice now I have noticed this about how they could have got a lot more fans away from the area quicker (good for everyone I am sure you will agree). The trains could have got dozens more people on it. I agree though it does need a steward or two shouting into the trains themselves telling people to move down into the middle of the carriage though. It also doesn't matter (to the individual) about being located in the middle of the carriage either as so many get off at Lewes (the first stop) you get plenty of time to make your way out.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Trains East after the game are a joke on midweek games. For some reason it seems to be a game by those in control to piss people off and let trains leave with loads of room on them. Done every midweek game but one since we've been at the Amex and it's always like this. What makes it worse is trains roll in every few minutes on the other platform and yet we seem to be treated to very few and it's really annoying to see trains leave half empty.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I have to say this, But, What the hell is going on with the trains!.

I couldn't believe it on the eastbound platform on Tuesday after the Rotherham game,
People on here moan about people leaving the game early, But do they really want to know or even care why!.

On tues, realising that trains were very poor anyway on a midweek game, I decided it best to leave the game 5 mins before the end!. (Which i really don't like doing! BTW).
Trying to run for the train for seaford, like many others, When I looked down towrds the platform, it was an 8 carriage train.! Ideal for supporters to get the first big wave away!,

But it pulled away with less then 40 people on board before the official 90mins were played!. What the hell I thought!. The next train isn't until 20 mins after the final whistle!.
This, I was told by the platform guard, Would be a football special!.

I was relieved that maybe the club or the rail authorities had agreed to get there heads together and done something at last!.

With 5 mins to go before the train arrived, The platform was now shoulder to shoulder, and the que was now tailbacked up the ramps!
Announcer!. "The next train, is a football special, It willl be calling at lewes and Newhaven Stn!."
HUH! What about seaford!.
Announcer!. "The next train is 3 carriages, and supporters who want Eastbourne should change at Lewes on this train. ."

WHAT, Are you friggin kidding me!. I would be safer walking the channel tunnel at night!.
Is the train company really this ignorant!. or is there a problem between the club and the rail!.

I was expecting screaming during the push and rush!. How can the club let it's supporters be treated like this!.

Another point to make here!.
Why oh why!. do you have a frigging ramp lane for wheelchairs so wide, that you could drive a smart car down!

This is my suggestion.

Seperate the eastbound supporters that require two different trains.
One que up the ramp for seaford
And another for Eastbourne!.

Why is this necessary you ask!. Well, I'll tell you!.
it must be pretty obvoius by now that whichever train pulls in first, be it eastbourne or seaford. You are leaving behind 100's of people that cannot get
on the train, because those already on the platform don't want the bloody train!. if you have a single line of people it takes twice as long to clear the station!.

For the love of god. PLEASE do something about this!..

Or at least for the time being!., Ask the rail company to provide a train that leaves just a few mins after the final whistle, NOT BEFORE!.

regards!
Gully

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here