Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Skates?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
might be wrong but i think its got something to do with sailors having sex with fish when times were hard at sea . ( as i say dont quote me )

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
"Southampton supporters have taken to referring to their local rivals as "Skates". This is a derisive alternative to "matelot" to describe naval sailors, Portsmouth being the home of the Royal Navy. This term is in fact originally a dismissive one for sailors, possibly originating in Portsmouth, which most Southampton fans have adopted. It was made popular as an abusive term towards Portsmouth fans after a Southampton fanzine asked readers to help search for the term most likely to cause offence to them"

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
Yeh the dirty pompey sailors used to f*** skates at sea because the mouth appareantly looks like a womens ****.thats why people call them fish f***ing skates!

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
The vagina of a skate fish resembles the closest to a human vagina.

Therefore, when at sea, they would catch the skate, pin in to the wall, and errrmmm...

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat

Therefore, when at sea, they would catch the skate, pin in to the wall, and errrmmm...

Wonder if they used to put sexy lingerie on them , must have been a right bugger trying to get them to wear suspenders , .... thinking about it skate do seem very similar to women

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Pompey natives term of abuse for Royal Navy sailors, (whom they hate with a passion). The past-time of jumping on sailors (normally a lone drunk one staggering through Tricorn) was known as skate bashing.
If one of our lads was the victim of this, we would go out the following night & reap revenge.
Southampton turned the word skate back on the Pompey fans, which I quite like!

You were all correct though about the fish vagina thing. Well they all smell of fish anyway right?

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007

Mrs Sausage's vagina also smelly resemble closest to skate fish vagina, innit.

Sometimes I pin her to the wall and fillet. etc.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009

I wonder whether there were instances of injury by wrongly identifying a ray as a skate. That would have been painful!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here