Jake Forster-Caskey

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So, having looked like a genuine answer to our lack of creativity and attack minded play in the centre of midfield for two or three games he now cannot even get a place on a bench of SEVEN?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So, having looked like a genuine answer to our lack of creativity and attack minded play in the centre of midfield for two or three games he now cannot even get a place on a bench of SEVEN?

I think this is down to Gus pulling him out of the firing line and not allowing him to get carried away. He should now do the same with Dunk for a few games.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
He went off injured last time he played. Maybe it was worse than we first thought? Is a strange decision not to include him otherwise. Sadly he is going to go further down the pecking order with Sparrow coming back and Razak added to the squad. Hope I'm wrong though

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The only person on that bench he could have replaced was Harley. He'll have no chance now that we have another 5 coming back in.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think it was always the intention of Gus to keep him on the bench - hence his annoyance at having it cut to 5 - and give him tasters now and again. He got thrown in because of our injury crisis although I admit he did pretty well. His time will come if he carries on improving. No rush.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He. Is. Still. A. Kid.

I'm glad he wasn't part of that.

A kid who was man of the match and scored two games in a row when he did get a game. Not saying we should be getting 40 plus matches out of him, but to seemingly disappear off the radar after such an impressive start and then go another couple of rungs down the pecking order seems strange.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think it was always the intention of Gus to keep him on the bench - hence his annoyance at having it cut to 5 - and give him tasters now and again. He got thrown in because of our injury crisis although I admit he did pretty well. His time will come if he carries on improving. No rush.

I'm sure people are forgetting he is still only 17. I'm sure I read a tweet from him just a couple of days ago about not feeling very well.

Edit - have checked and it was on Wednesday so would explain his exclusion.

Last edited:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Gus is being careful with him - he's 17 for goodness sake so that's fair enough.

He was pretty much out of his depth against Newcastle and got subbed, so away at Liverpool certainly wasn't something to throw him into.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm sure people are forgetting he is still only 17.

As I said earlier, I fully appreciate not over-using him. But being in the squad yesterday would have been a great experience for him and, to be honest, when he has played he has looked better than Navarro or Harley.

He may only be 17 but he gives us an option and a dimension which we do not always have in abundance.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Gus is being careful with him - he's 17 for goodness sake so that's fair enough.

He was pretty much out of his depth against Newcastle and got subbed, so away at Liverpool certainly wasn't something to throw him into.

Equally, he came on away to Stoke City and was probably our best player.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As I said earlier, I fully appreciate not over-using him. But being in the squad yesterday would have been a great experience for him and, to be honest, when he has played he has looked better than Navarro or Harley.

He may only be 17 but he gives us an option and a dimension which we do not always have in abundance.

You may have noticed my edit after checking his tweets from last week. He was unwell.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I was considering this on my walk to work this morning actually.
I think he must have been injured/ill, because for him to miss out of the squad entirely would a blow to his confidence that I think Poyet would have been aware of. I can understand why he played Nav, though Gus probably wasn't anticipating him going missing and trying to give man love to Gerrard for the whole game. But I think JFC would have been on the bench ahead of Harley.
As others have said though with Razzak probably coming in for Navarro, I think JFC will sadly struggle to get a place on the bench with only 5 subs.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think it is quite clear Gus feels his development must be a gradual one. I came back from Villa Park expecting to see far more of JFC than I have done. But when we HAVE seen him, it's clear he has continued to develop very very nicely as a player. Let's trust in Gus, that HE knows the player far better than any of us.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Andy Naylor thinks Dunk had a good game ???

So did I (rewritten: looked a good player). One blip (should read gigantic misjudgement). At end we only had three defenders so the last goal was down to that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports