Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Tigers Ice Hockey

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Sick that we dont have a local team. Have to watch these guys instead on a sunday evening. Also have my my tickets for the playoffs in coventry. Thay are very good however. Lets go Flames!

This was a great game. Manchester are one of the most skilled teams in the league.

And the playoff finals last year in which they came out winners

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
I believe that the core of the team were ex Canadian servicemen who stayed on in England after the war; a number of them lived off Edward street, just up from Dorset Gardens
this is true one of them got hiched to a local girl who ended up running the sterling arms pub and his stick was above the door in the back bar

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
What an awesome thread? My Grandfather was a Tiger from 1950-1955 - he's in the picture, front row Freddie (Freddy on the picture) Sutherland. He was a Canadian serviceman who hailed from Winnipeg in Manitoba - coincidentally they have their Jets back this season in the NHL.

He was a player at the Quebec Aces, waiting for pro forms to arrive but had already enlisted, they didn't arrive in time, and so he was on the ships to Europe to fight. He actually played for the Wembley lions from 1945-1950 (and one season at the Wembley Monarchs in 1949, but I don't know why).

Wembley and Brighton were regularly the top two, although Nottingham and Streatham were also good. He played for the Lions vs. USA team (and beat them), in 1946 as well as amazing matches versus Switzerland and Canada.

He moved to Brighton to be closer to my Grandmother's father who had MS, lived in Findon Valley - joined Bobby Lee's Tigers to be with his best friend Johnny Oxley (who was English). This was the beginning of the Tigers being the very best team in the country. They were better paid and more famous than the footballers of the time (Diana Dors asked my Grandad for HIS autograph after watching a game at Wembley), it was very hard to get a ticket to the SS Brighton for matches and I wish with every fibre of my being that I could have seen him play.

I'll add some photos should you wish to see him in action - I'll need to look and see how.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
DSC02873JPG.jpg

There was lots of this - My Grandfather is no.6

DSC02871JPG.jpg

DSC02868JPG.jpg

(Note - no helmets, no face masks for goalies...)

DSC02867JPG.jpg

Versus Wembley Lions

DSC02866JPG.jpg

An amazing era for Brighton.

Last edited:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Durham had a reputation as one of the dirtier teams at the time and the game ended up in one of the biggest fights ever seen at SS Brighton. Nearly every player from both teams ended up slugging it out on the ice. It even made the front page of the Argus complete with a photo of the mass brawl. We all thought it was brilliant, the bosses of Top Rank didn't!! Losing Brighton Tigers was a very sad loss to the town, seeing Ice Hockey live is nothing like watching it on TV, the speed and excitement is unbelievable.

Wasn't anything like this was it?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Great photos Rabeen, would love to have a Brighton Tigers winter jumper like the one in the photos.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
Great photos Rabeen, would love to have a Brighton Tigers winter jumper like the one in the photos.

Thanks - I wish I had more but my grand parents at the time didn't see the benefit or reason to keep programmes and pictures (bar a few) so I've been constantly looking on ebay and get the odd great finds.

I know what you mean - my brother and I went some way to organising some 'replica' tops a few years ago, but a winter jumper would be awesome - especially as it's stripes too!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I know what you mean - my brother and I went some way to organising some 'replica' tops a few years ago, but a winter jumper would be awesome - especially as it's stripes too!

Yeah would love to wear one around be much old, old skool Kudos, its part of our sporting heritage.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'm not old enough to have seen the Tigers, but I love Ice Hockey.

To have a team back in Brighton, I wouldn't think twice about getting a season ticket.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
I'm not old enough to have seen the Tigers, but I love Ice Hockey.

To have a team back in Brighton, I wouldn't think twice about getting a season ticket.

It's interesting you say that - we have 13 season tickets amongst our family at the Amex and ALL of us have said that if the Black Rock got going we could see ourselves watching the Albion in the afternoon, stay in Brighton afterwards to watch the Hockey...it would be heavenly!

patcham lad

Nov 27, 2009
brighton tigers played at the ss stadium which is one block down from the odeon cinema nearer the seafront - the albion team of those days were always present at tigers games - they had a special vantage point very high up at the right hand rear of the stadium - one of my favorite chants used to be - come on you tigers do your stuff, score those goals & treat them rough - they were the glory days when i was a young brighton teenager.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
The 1950`s were a fantastic period for the Tigers,queues almost reached the clock tower, we were the Liverpool of those days, Bobby Lee ,centre Ice and captain was a huge star.The Canadian team which had done very well in the Winter Olylimpics played here and i think we beat them,by the sixty`s we could not afford the top Canadians and began to use college stars, then British players were introduced which led eventually to the demise of the sport, but when it lasted it was magic.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I keep hearing about Bobby Lee so had a check and found this.
(As an aside coach Don Penniston sound's like a real force behind the club.)

bobby_lee_s.jpg

Legendary ice hockey player Bobby Lee

By Trevor Chepstow
Bobby Lee was Brighton's greatest sportsman of the post war era. He breathed life into one of Britain's most successful ice hockey teams and became a legend in his own lifetime.

Born in Montreal
Born in Montreal, Bobby played hockey on the frozen rivers almost as soon as he could walk. His early career began as a left winger in the "Montreal Royals" in junior hockey and finally graduating to the senior team of "La Fontaine".

Signed to play in England in 1936
In 1936 the coach of the "Brighton Tigers", Don Penniston, approached Bobby, who was then in his early twenties, and signed him up to play in England. After one season with the "Tigers" Bobby was talent spotted and went on to play for Earls Court for the next two seasons.

Married in October 1939
It was during those early days in England that he met his wife to be (Billie) and he was married in the October of 1939. With the outbreak of the war they both went to Canada where Bobby joined the RCAF.

Took Brighton Tigers to victory
When Earls Court failed to open immediately after the war Bobby rejoined the "Tigers" as player-manager and moved to the position of centre-ice. Under his management he took the "Brighton Tigers" on to win all three major tournaments in the 1946-7 season and in the following years won International and World-wide fame for the team!

200 goals in ice hockey
Without doubt, Bobby Lee was the best centre-ice of all the Canadians who sought fame on British rinks. He was the first man in the history of British ice hockey to score 200 goals and in October 1952 the first player to score 400 goals. He played well into his forties in a sport where most men retired at twenty-five!

A real superstar
Bobby gave enjoyment to thousands who flocked to the Sports Stadium and Brighton's ice hockey public always had a special place in their hearts for this gentleman of ice hockey. If the word "Superstar" applied to anyone, Bobby Lee would have been the first to be crowned with this mantle!

In retirement became 'mine host'
After retiring in 1954 Bobby became 'mine host' at the Mile Oak Inn and later took over the Windmill Inn at Southwick. He died on New Year's Eve in 1974 after probably one of the most distinguished careers any man could have wished for in the world of ice hockey.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
My brother, who now lives in Canada, e-mailed me these pictures of the programme from Tigers last game at the SS. Look at the statistics over the last five years (especially the last two years) and you can see just how good they really were. And how sad is that final statement at the bottom of the page.

Tigers6[1].jpgTigers7[1].jpg

We saw them against a top Canadian side who were on tour and we met the teams in the changing rooms after the match. My brother was given a signed hockey stick - sadly lost after he passed away a few years back. we now follow the Bracknell bees and the Vaxjo Lakers (SWEDEN)

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Wonderful memories. I seem to recall joining the supporters club for 2/6(12p) which meant you did not have to join the long queues in West Street to go in, the was a separate door for members.Top Rank were responsible for the demise of ice hockey in the 60s for those that never made it to the SS Brighton they were fabulous nights out watching the best team in Britain (and probably the world when we beat the Olympic champs .I hope thats right and not my memory playing tricks with me)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ex Tiger Canadian Bob Mcneil still visits Brighton primarily to meet a mate of mines Dad.

Met him a couple of times and he spoke so passionately about his time here, but also still skates and is an inspiration when you talk to him.

He must be in his late 70's but looked very much like he did in his earlier photos when he played !!

wembley83

Mar 15, 2009
brighton
I remember my late father telling me stories about the tigers , as a teenager in the early 1950's himself and a mate worked a season sweeping the ice between quarters at the end of the season they were given 'Tigers' jackets as a gesture from the club (wish he had kept and handed down the jacket, would be worth a bit now ...). Also when the great Canadian Maple leafs toured britain, remember him saying that Brighton were the only team to beat them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here