Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Tigers Ice Hockey

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I seem to remember that Brighton Tigers v Wembley Lions was the Man U v Liverpool of its day. Names like Fife Flyers and Paisley Pirates also spring to mind (from results in the stop press of the Daily Mirror of the time (it was a decent paper then)

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

airman

Patriae Fidus
Jan 25, 2012
Salisbury Plain
Believe it or not, Great Britain won Ice Hockey gold at the 1936 Winter Olympics. Jimmy Borland, who was Brighton Tigers captain at the time was on the Olympic team. Another of the medallists, Jimmy Chappell, played for various scottish teams before the WWII, served during (taking part in the D-Day landings) and joined the Tigers after the war.

I've only ever known modern era British hockey, I've spoken to various folk over the years about the golden era of Brighton, Wembley, Streatham etc (and of course my own beloved Nottingham Panthers). Brighton were regarded as the team to beat, so I understand. There are some ice hockey historians around who could tell you more, ask around on some of the ice hockey forums. (There's a guy called Stef on the Cage Foreum (Panthers fan site) who really knows his history, and has bags of old stories)

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
DSCN2857_s.jpg

Star player: Gordon (Gordie) Poirier 1914-1972
By Trevor Chepstow
Born in Maple Creek, Saskatchewan, Canada, Gordon Poirier was one of the greatest ice hockey players to wear the famous black and yellow colours of the Brighton Tigers in the pre and post war era. At the age of fifteen, he started with his first Junior Ice Hockey team, known as "Columbus". A year later, he joined the "St Francois Xavier" Ice Hockey team and then the following year moved to one of the most famous teams in Canada, the "Montreal Canadians", as a junior.

Italian Olympic team coach in 1936
On reaching senior status, Gordie got his first trip abroad and was appointed coach to the Italian Olympic team for the 1936 games at Garmisch. Shortly after returning to Canada, he was talent-spotted by Don Penniston and signed to play for the Brighton Tigers. He made his debut with the Tigers in 1936 alongside the legendary Bobby Lee, who was also signed by Don Penniston.

The crowds go wild
With his dark, dashing good looks and amazing hockey skills, Gordie was an immediate success and soon became the star of the Brighton Tigers. The crowds would scream the roof down as he scored one goal after another, leaving the opposing team players in total disarray. This was perhaps something to do with his ability to shoot a puck at a defending goal keeper at over 100mph.

An all round athlete
Originally playing centre ice, Gordie was best placed playing defence; with the intelligence normally reserved for chess players, his great ability was always to be able to find a position to best defend the goal. An all-round athlete, Gordie was good at baseball, lacrosse and was a top canoeist, but hockey was his best game.

Wartime service
During the Second World War, Gordie joined the Royal Canadian Artillery and rose to the rank of Captain. After the war, he returned to play for the Tigers to great success then went on to play for Harringay in 1950/51, finally returning to Canada to open a restaurant and run an import business.

A Brighton Tigers stalwart
Gordie Poirier will be remembered as one of the stalwarts of the Brighton Tigers in their heyday and is commemorated in the British Ice Hall of Fame. Gordie passed away following a heart attack in Montreal in 1972.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Believe it or not, Great Britain won Ice Hockey gold at the 1936 Winter Olympics. Jimmy Borland, who was Brighton Tigers captain at the time was on the Olympic team. Another of the medallists, Jimmy Chappell, played for various scottish teams before the WWII, served during (taking part in the D-Day landings) and joined the Tigers after the war.

I've only ever known modern era British hockey, I've spoken to various folk over the years about the golden era of Brighton, Wembley, Streatham etc (and of course my own beloved Nottingham Panthers). Brighton were regarded as the team to beat, so I understand. There are some ice hockey historians around who could tell you more, ask around on some of the ice hockey forums. (There's a guy called Stef on the Cage Foreum (Panthers fan site) who really knows his history, and has bags of old stories)

Cheers i might well follow that up

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
They were awesome and i have been lucky enough to play with a couple of them and get some of their stories first hand. Real brighton born legends like Mike O'Brien are all to quickly forgotten. Brighton still had Ice hockey teams all the way through until the early naughties when the present club was mothballed. Even without an ice rink (queens Sq does not count)we still had several players who played at semi, professional and interntional leve. We still have a hardcore of players who travel to London for training and games each week.

Lucky indeed did you play?
Also did they think they would be getting a new home when it was turned into a cinema, i seem to remember someone told me they were promised one?

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I feel really guilty reading this thread.

I always knew that my mum was a very talented skater in her youth, and she mentioned the Tigers on many an occasion.

When my mum died 8 years ago, my brother and I cleared the house.

In the loft I found a box containing hundreds of quality b & w photographs ( 5 " x 7" , or half plates), of the Tigers in action, or posing on the rink with my mum with whom they appeared to know well.

After reading this thread, I'm very ashamed and saddened to say that we threw them away.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I feel really guilty reading this thread.

I always knew that my mum was a very talented skater in her youth, and she mentioned the Tigers on many an occasion.

When my mum died 8 years ago, my brother and I cleared the house.

In the loft I found a box containing hundreds of quality b & w photographs ( 5 " x 7" , or half plates), of the Tigers in action, or posing on the rink with my mum with whom they appeared to know well.

After reading this thread, I'm very ashamed and saddened to say that we threw them away.

Don't worry mate there are still pics around. At least you have a connection to the team, through your mum.

Last edited:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The father of a childhood friend used to play for them. A beast of a man. I got elbowed by a Brighton fan having a swing at a Portsmouth fan in our FA Cup tie when they invaded the North Stand. He picked up the Portsmouth fan and handed him over to the police. :legend: :bowdown:

Haha brilliant stuff.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Yeah ive heard the same thing, were they one of the best in the country?
In the world,....they beat the Russians,Canadians,Americans as well as Wembly Lions,Paisley Pirates...and others...the star player was Bobby Lee...only saw them a couple of times...in fact I saw them before the Albion.

airman

Patriae Fidus
Jan 25, 2012
Salisbury Plain
It's sad to think that all that's left is a few pages on the internet ...

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
In the world,....they beat the Russians,Canadians,Americans as well as Wembly Lions,Paisley Pirates...and others...the star player was Bobby Lee...only saw them a couple of times...in fact I saw them before the Albion.

Are you winding me up, i read Brighton Tigers beat the USSR but are you saying they beat the USA and Canada or their domestic teams?

Last edited:

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
Are you winding me up, i read Brighton Tigers beat the USSR but are you saying beat the USA and Canada?

My dad played for the Tigers and the only Canadian team that I can remember them playing against was from the Canadian aircraft carrier HMCS Bonadventure

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
My dad played for the Tigers and the only Canadian team that I can remember them playing against was from the Canadian aircraft carrier HMCS Bonadventure

Love to ask you a few questions but i need to get to bed. Will post a few over the next day or so if thats cool?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's a real shame that the new Black Rock Ice Rink fell foul of the credit crunch and the usual planning shite in Brighton, it would be great to see the Tigers and ice hockey return to Brighton. I follow HC Davos in Switzerland and get to a couple of games a year and it is a great sport to watch up close, amazing athleticism and great fun. A terrific sport and the Tigers were a huge part of Brighton's sporting history.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Would love to see ice hockey back in Brighton, the wife just read this thread and is amazed that we had an ice hockey team that was so well renowned and also called the Tigers as she is from Detroit and the whole familey follow ice hockey with a passion.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
They must have had shows and stuff on at the rink because my mum was a dancer and she used to skate in the shows there - I think that the Brighton Tigers were the guys to be seen with in the day!!! I will have to ask my mum if she knows any of them guys in the photo - I'm pretty sure she will!! She was a bit of a looker in those days!!!!

She actually met my dad at the ice rink - he used to drink in the bar she managed there - every night she had to take the nights takings somewhere and he used to wait for her and walk with her so she didn't get coshed over the head for the money!!! Bless him x The rest is history!!!

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
There used to be Ice Shows, even "pop concerts" - I remember seeing Del Shannon there - but the highlight were always the Tigers - usually on Sunday nights. Fantastic atmosphere and some really exciting games. Wembley were the big rivals - the Palace of their day!

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
There used to be Ice Shows, even "pop concerts" - I remember seeing Del Shannon there - but the highlight were always the Tigers - usually on Sunday nights. Fantastic atmosphere and some really exciting games. Wembley were the big rivals - the Palace of their day!

Yeah I thought as much from what she has told me in the past - she still has her skates - she used to take me when I was a little girl to Queens Square - she was brilliant x

The judge

Sep 28, 2011
Portslade
They must have had shows and stuff on at the rink because my mum was a dancer and she used to skate in the shows there - I think that the Brighton Tigers were the guys to be seen with in the day!!! I will have to ask my mum if she knows any of them guys in the photo - I'm pretty sure she will!! She was a bit of a looker in those days!!!!

She actually met my dad at the ice rink - he used to drink in the bar she managed there - every night she had to take the nights takings somewhere and he used to wait for her and walk with her so she didn't get coshed over the head for the money!!! Bless him x The rest is history!!!
Strange world as my mum and dad met down the ice rink . My dad played for the cubs . As you say the rest is history !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here