Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Tigers Ice Hockey

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Wonderfully, I've looked through some of the old newspapers cuttings I got last week and it includes a four-page pull-out from before the Tigers' last game. Will get that scanned in first later in the week.

Did anyone get to see them at the old ice rink, which is now the Odeon cinema?
Where they as good a team as some people have told me?
tigers_programme_cover_1950_400high_s.jpg
When I lived in Hove, I went to every Sunday night game at the Sports Stadium.
They were a brilliant team, from Tony Parisi (goal) up to Jackie Dryburgh (centre ice).
I remember some thrilling games there and still have the programme from the very last game played there -23rd May 1965.
Happy memories.

Lucky indeed did you play?
Also did they think they would be getting a new home when it was turned into a cinema, i seem to remember someone told me they were promised one?
Top Rank when they bought the stadium, assured all of us supporters that they would build a new rink "just round the corner". They did build one, but far too small to take ice hockey!
Pity because they cost the town popularity and business, apart from betraying all of us.

My brother, who now lives in Canada, e-mailed me these pictures of the programme from Tigers last game at the SS. Look at the statistics over the last five years (especially the last two years) and you can see just how good they really were. And how sad is that final statement at the bottom of the page.

View attachment 29927View attachment 29928
I also have this programme from the last night as I was there. All entries made regarding scorers and assists!
In those days it cost 6 pence (old pence!).

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have been terrible at scanning all my bits in and uploading to my blog. Will make a proper effort to free up a couple of hours to do so this week.

Beverley Booth

Sep 21, 2014
Do you remember the bad boys of Paisley Mohawks, the Brennan brothers and the two 'villians' for Durham Wasps, Hepple (Hep) Tindall and Mike Jordan. There was always trouble when we played those two teams, all good fun though!

My Dad, Bill Booth, a Canadian from Montreal played for Brighton Tigers 1946-48. He then went to be player/coach at Durham and I remember him coaching Hep and Mike Jordan.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
My dad played for the Cubs as well. The boots and the Stick I used belonged to him.

qs2011-bailey1953-3_1_1.png

In looking for the photo, I came across a fact I didn't know. The conversion to an Ice Rink was paid for by the Mayor of Bournemouth, no wonder we are becoming their feeder team.

Wow that photo of The Stadium really took me back to the 50`s,The Tigers were a top team and played in front of packed houses,you had to join the queue for standing places about 90 mins before played commenced,the end of queue reached almost to the new Mex restaurant in West Street,one match stands out,i cant remember the year but Canada sent over their national team which won a top competition in Europe, a match was arranged and Tigers beat them,what a night.
In the 60`s the team was watered down and had to include players from this country the standard declined,when the new building was opened it was a condition that their had to be a rink included, however no supports were placed around the edge you just stepped off the carpet onto the ice, the freezer system was very unrealible so if you were to fall down you got soaked,it did not last very long before this joke of a rink closed.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
One player that stood out from those that played was 'Bobby Lee'...only saw them a couple of times...they beat Russia and the brilliant Canadians.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I started watching Brighton in 1964 but I can only remember seeing Christmas panto on ice at the Stadium .
The pictures of the ice Hockey players not wearing head protection bit like the cricket in those days.
It's great news that they are planning a new stadium at Black rock about time get on with it!View attachment 58874

Don't forget the Tempoary ice rink at the Royal Pavillion which opens in November great for Christmas Parties.image.jpg

Wow that photo of The Stadium really took me back to the 50`s,The Tigers were a top team and played in front of packed houses,you had to join the queue for standing places about 90 mins before played commenced,the end of queue reached almost to the new Mex restaurant in West Street,one match stands out,i cant remember the year but Canada sent over their national team which won a top competition in Europe, a match was arranged and Tigers beat them,what a night.
In the 60`s the team was watered down and had to include players from this country the standard declined,when the new building was opened it was a condition that their had to be a rink included, however no supports were placed around the edge you just stepped off the carpet onto the ice, the freezer system was very unrealible so if you were to fall down you got soaked,it did not last very long before this joke of a rink closed.

I used to go here every Sunday night Westdene in the 60s.
They beat the Canadians then as well - and the USA., and Czeckoslovakia, and Sweden etc etc. Great memories.

:clap2::clap2:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I started watching Brighton in 1964 but I can only remember seeing Christmas panto on ice at the Stadium .
The pictures of the ice Hockey players not wearing head protection bit like the cricket in those days.
It's great news that they are planning a new stadium at Black rock about time get on with it!View attachment 58874

Don't forget the Tempoary ice rink at the Royal Pavillion which opens in November great for Christmas Parties.View attachment 58875
Opening again and Hardings catering running the food and bar who did the hospitality at the Withdean.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here