Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York, What hotels to use ? and travel advice please.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Planning a few days in New York for my birthday but on a budget.
Never been there before so need some help.

Can get the hotels below as a package with flights for around £700 -£800 for 3 night.
Can anyone living in New York or been there and have experience of hotels below
Or give any advice or opinions please.

Hotel Beacon & Apartments Nr central park
Flatotel Times square
Salisbury Hotel central park
Mave Hotel
Skyline Hotel 10th Avenue
Hotel Mella Times square
Washington square hotel Grenwich village
Milford Hotel Times square
Hudson Hotel Central Park.
Aloft new york Brooklyn.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Can't offer any personal experiences from that list but one friend stayed at the Skyline about 5 years ago and said it was very unremarkable and just a bit too far out of the centre for his liking. Other friends have stayed at the Salisbury Hotel twice (and they are quite picky which says something!). The only two things I remember them specifically saying about the hotel was its location, which is great, and the bagels at breakfast which were plentiful (but hey, its America so that's hardly a surprise!)

Hopefully you won't be spending too much time in your hotel and getting around New York is fairly easy (no doubt other posters who live there can give you chapter and verse) but if your time is limited then I'd say the more central the better - it might be a bit noisy but for 3 days I'm sure you can manage if you want to get that authentic New York experience!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I seem to remember a thread that went on for a good few pages on a similar subjet and had NY contributors. I think it was started by [MENTION=95]Walt Jabsco[/MENTION] ?

Mok_150

Oct 16, 2011
Been to nyc loads of times with work. I have stayed in the Milford before which is ok but very touristy. On the plus side it is 2mins walk from Times Square. Hilton East Manhatten is a very good hotel, Fitzpatrick at Grand Central is also good but may be out of your budget. PM me if you want anymore information on hotels, restaurants etc

mikeyross

Jun 22, 2011
I was just at Travel Inn 42nd St, which was good. Stayed in the New Yorker another time, also good.
You need to think about where you are sleeping relative to what you get up to, although travelling around is easy. You tend to walk a lot in Manhattan.
I'd stay in Midtown, close to (or between) Times Sq and the Empire State (34th).

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
went with a few mates to the England friendly a few years back and we stayed in the New Yorker,we picked up a room for about £50/60 i think(it may have been a special offer cant remember) and it was ideal.good location for getting around right next to penn st.....has a bar and a diner.it was clean and friendly so ticked loads of boxes

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Don't stay in The Milford, absolute shit hole (but cheap) and the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed. Stayed at The Warwick which was superb, a bit more expensive but worth the extra.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
What is the best way to get to Times Sq from JFK?

Depends on how many people. Two or more I’d say get a cab – it’s a flat fare of $45 to anywhere in Manhattan plus tolls. If it’s just you go by Airtrain / LIRR which is about 15 bucks. Been in New York for 3 years now so I’ve done both many times and I personally prefer the cab – it’s door to door, chuck your luggage in the back, sit back and enjoy this part of the New York experience.

Hotels – agree with other comments on the Milford, avoid like the plague. Washington Square Hotel – some friends stayed there and liked it. It’s right by NYU so plenty of student types in the area and close to both the West Village and East Village with good bars and curry houses. No experience of any of the others.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I stayed in the Hudson about 3 yrs ago & it was great, rooms a bit small but bear in mind my only other venture to US is Vegas where everything is XXXL. Good location walking distance to times sq. & central park.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Went for 7 days a couple of years ago and stayed in a hotel in Queens which is the other side of the east river but It worked out about 400 quid cheaper than staying in Manhattan for the week plus got to see a bit of real New York not just the tourist stuff.......it was about ten mins on the subway to Times Sq, may not be ideal if your only there for 3 nights but a lot better for your budget!!!!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Iam over in new york next week if someone can tell me where i mite see the newcastle game in any pub/bars. iam staying at the affinia hotel 371 Seventh Avenue many thanks

I’m sure Foleys will be showing it as the Landlord Shaun is a big Brighton fan. It’s on 33rd opposite the Empire State Building. If by some chance they aren’t it will be on at Legends which is almost next door ! This is a temporary home for Nevada Smiths which has now shut and is in the process of moving

Last edited:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Going for 3 nights in September followed by 11 nights in Orlando.
Staying here:
1-Manhattan_Panorama2_1360x290.jpg

Long Island City Boutique Hotels Queens New York NY | Z Hotel NYC

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Depends on how many people. Two or more I’d say get a cab – it’s a flat fare of $45 to anywhere in Manhattan plus tolls. If it’s just you go by Airtrain / LIRR which is about 15 bucks. Been in New York for 3 years now so I’ve done both many times and I personally prefer the cab – it’s door to door, chuck your luggage in the back, sit back and enjoy this part of the New York experience.

Hotels – agree with other comments on the Milford, avoid like the plague. Washington Square Hotel – some friends stayed there and liked it. It’s right by NYU so plenty of student types in the area and close to both the West Village and East Village with good bars and curry houses. No experience of any of the others.

I have stayed at The Washington Squre Hotel but it was a few years back. Hotel is fine, and is in a fantastic location close to a number of cool neighbourhoods. It has an interesting music heritage as well.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here