Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can’t be done, I’m afraid. I won’t get a ticket and can’t justify the travel costs - I was teaching when the draw was made, so missed any chance of cheap travel.

I’ll be watching in a Brighton pub.
Out of reach then - that's comforting to know, I can relax a little.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Have any of you absolute melts ever cycled anywhere around Munich or wider Bavaria?

Trying to plan a summer trip and I'm looking for beautiful routes, fairytale castles, grossly oversized frothy beers (serving wenches), large portions of cake and all-round conviviality. Plus cycle routes.

Thanks!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Have any of you absolute melts ever cycled anywhere around Munich or wider Bavaria?

Trying to plan a summer trip and I'm looking for beautiful routes, fairytale castles, grossly oversized frothy beers (serving wenches), large portions of cake and all-round conviviality. Plus cycle routes.

Thanks!
:lolol:

No I haven't.

In a previous life I used to be a tour guide, and did Rhine cruises with commentary about the fairy-tale castles.

I don't suppose that helps much.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria

Thanks!
I cycled the RomantischStrasse from Fussen to Wurzburg three years ago and would absolutely recommend it. Most people do it in the opposite direction.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I cycled the RomantischStrasse from Fussen to Wurzburg three years ago and would absolutely recommend it. Most people do it in the opposite direction.
Ooh thanks this is useful - how long did it take & were there any particular bits of it you would recommend?

Been looking at Augsburg and Dinkelbuhl as points on the romantic road, but I'd be keen to pop the other way from Munich as well and make a Pascal Gross pilgrimage to Ingolstadt.

Thanks again

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Ooh thanks this is useful - how long did it take & were there any particular bits of it you would recommend?

Been looking at Augsburg and Dinkelbuhl as points on the romantic road, but I'd be keen to pop the other way from Munich as well and make a Pascal Gross pilgrimage to Ingolstadt.

Thanks again
I did it in seven very comfortable stages. Spent two very worthwhile nights in Fussen to start with, visiting both castles. Rothenburg was probably the highlight (two nights) but the whole route was superb. My only navigation was using their route signs and having a reasonable idea of the villages that I would be passing through. Lost the route a couple of times and had to follow my nose. I’d say that at least 95% of the route was traffic free. My wife drove the route and we had arranged meet-ups for lunch each day. She loved the medieval towns. There is supposed to be a bus that will carry bags from one overnight stop to to the next.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Looks lovely - may even get the missus on her e-bike to do that one as we love Germany.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Looks lovely - may even get the missus on her e-bike to do that one as we love Germany.
My Mrs had her ebike on the car. Because I was reaching my destination early afternoon most days, we’d then do a shortish cycle ride together to explore the area. She liked that too. I rode a hybrid bike that is closer to a road bike than to a mountain bike. All but a few km was on smooth surfaces, so a road bike would have been fine.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My Mrs had her ebike on the car. Because I was reaching my destination early afternoon most days, we’d then do a shortish cycle ride together to explore the area. She liked that too. I rode a hybrid bike that is closer to a road bike than to a mountain bike. All but a few km was on smooth surfaces, so a road bike would have been fine.
Now the kids are grown up I would love to do something like that.
Assuming you just drove down there with the bikes on board?

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Now the kids are grown up I would love to do something like that.
Assuming you just drove down there with the bikes on board?
We were driving back to the U.K. after spending some time in Austria during lockdown and decided to make a trip of it, so we spent a total of fourteen nights in Italy and Germany on the way back to the U.K.
There are also numerous organised cycling tours of the Romantischstrasse - either guided or self-guided.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Just in case anybody is interested in supporting this event...the chance to grab some glory for your company :)

Will Tidball Champion of Champions Blank for LVVP.png

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here