Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm itching to add another bike to he stable, but I'm failing to find something that meets the criteria for my CX/winter bike. The 'must haves' I'm looking for are: carbon frame, disc brakes, 11 speed, fixings plus clearance for mudguards and cost under £1,500 (ideally closer to £1k). Preferably the groupset would be SRAM (which I have on road bike) and disc brakes would be hydraulic.

I don't think such a bike exists. There a few bikes out there for £1k that meet the must have criteria except are aluminium (e.g. Planet X London Road, Cannondale CAADX 105, Ridley X-Bow, Canyon & Rose). There's also a Planet X carbon one for around £1k, but it doesn't have the mudguard fixings (also not sure it's 11 speed).

Googling has only led me to forums where people with similar criteria have resorted to ordering Chinese carbon frames and building up the bike themselves.

Has anyone come across the bike I'm looking for?

Yeah I have.

Nah not really.
I can't help thinking your wish list is going to have to be compromised.

The thing is you're after top end spec on a niche bike that you won't be using for it's primary purpose, racing.
There aren't too many carbon winter hacks on the road.

The obvious issue is mudguards, do they have to be attached?
I've finally relented and put my clip mudguards on and they are fantastic.
I can't believe I refused them for years.

My instant reaction was Cube, Focus and Rose.
Keep looking through lowland country manufacturers, what with them being the home of 'cross.

You can do the leg work on the other two, but as I haven't cast an eye over Rose for a while here goes:-

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/cross-bike/

If you want some change
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-3000-hydraulic/aid:770985

'The' bike may well be out there, it might even be a Focus or Cube, but in the meantime with your criteria this has to be worthy of a second look:-
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-4400-770488/aid:770519

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I can't help thinking your wish list is going to have to be compromised.

The thing is you're after top end spec on a niche bike that you won't be using for it's primary purpose, racing.
There aren't too many carbon winter hacks on the road.

The obvious issue is mudguards, do they have to be attached?
I've finally relented and put my clip mudguards on and they are fantastic.
I can't believe I refused them for years.

My instant reaction was Cube, Focus and Rose.
Keep looking through lowland country manufacturers, what with them being the home of 'cross.

You can do the leg work on the other two, but as I haven't cast an eye over Rose for a while here goes:-

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/cross-bike/

If you want some change
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-3000-hydraulic/aid:770985

'The' bike may well be out there, it might even be a Focus or Cube, but in the meantime with your criteria this has to be worthy of a second look:-
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-dx-cross-4400-770488/aid:770519

Thanks Stat. I suppose I should have said, but in addition to being a (very nice) winter hack, I would like to dabble in the world of CX racing.

Thanks for the links, though I actually know those particular links very well as I've already spent hours pondering over them. My (summer) road bike is the Rose Xeon CRS-4400.

Obviously I have asked myself the following: Do I need carbon, isn't aluminium just as good? And also, could I use clip on guards? But when spending that kind of money I don't really want to compromise.

Which clip on guards did you go for?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks Stat. I suppose I should have said, but in addition to being a (very nice) winter hack, I would like to dabble in the world of CX racing.

Thanks for the links, though I actually know those particular links very well as I've already spent hours pondering over them. My (summer) road bike is the Rose Xeon CRS-4400.

Obviously I have asked myself the following: Do I need carbon, isn't aluminium just as good? And also, could I use clip on guards? But when spending that kind of money I don't really want to compromise.

Now I'm a bit more awake the point I was trying to make is if you broke down the constituent parts of your wish list:-

Carbon frame.
11 speed SRAM.
Hydraulic disc brakes.
£1,000 - £1,500.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find all of those on a mass market road bike.
But if you dropped any one of those factors, the world is your lobster.

Adding the cross element into the mix and it's going to be tougher still.
I hope you do find the box ticker, it's certainly a bike I'd be interested in myself.

As for mudguards mine are Zefal's, off the shelf, no recommendation, and as said I can't believe how good they are.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Hey Bad Ash, I feel your £1.5k budget with all those requirements is a bit moon on a stick. It just isn't going to happen, at least not for brand new anyway. Personally I would put aside the 11 speed, we were all getting by just fine with 8 or 9 for years, suddenly we all need 11! Next on my list would be the disc brakes (though I can understand why you would not want to drop this) so you will have to consider the aluminium frames. This is just your second bike after all, also if you are using it for CX I'm not sure that the extra harshness of the ride on aluminium matters that much. All in my opinion of course, but I can't see any justification for getting carbon at that price point.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
On the mudguard topic I have had SKS raceblades on my commuter for years, and the are the tits. No need for mounts here.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hey [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], this would go well with your new bike: http://www.cyclesuk.com/10586275/products/altura-team-long-sleeve-jersey-blue-and-black.aspx I'd wear it no problem.

You should get something cheaper at Prendas though.

OOOhh, that looks nice, thanks.

I just got this Aldi one actually which is actually rather nice. Though it's odd how much black is used in cycling gear, I'd really rather be seen!

IMG_2276.jpg

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

I just got this Aldi one actually which is actually rather nice. Though it's odd how much black is used in cycling gear, I'd really rather be seen!

IMG_2276.jpg

They still have a load of these in my Aldi... I'm hoping they'll end up in the half-price isle!

But I agree about the amount of black. I got the Aldi 'pro cycling' winter jersey last year. I love it, it is comfy, breathable and fits me perfectly. I tend to wear it without base layers all spring and autumn. But, it is all black with only a few reflective details. Seems bizarre for a winter Jersey.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

IMG_2276.jpg

Nice one Notters :thumbsup:

I'm always left surprised at just how good for the money Aldi/Lidl cycling clothes are. Ok, I've not been able to buy expensive clothes to compare it to, but certainly everything I've ever bought from there has met my needs perfectly and feels just fine to me.

Re: mudguards BadAsh.

I've never liked the look of full mudguards on a road bike, just doesn't look right to me, but I did get myself one of those ass saver mudguards having seen Ciolek using one in Milan San Remo the other year. http://ass-savers.com/

Cracking little idea that really works! They just slide in under your saddle to fit, and will even fold away under your saddle if your commute in has been wet and your ride home is dry for instance. Certainly stops a wet arse and the long tram line right up your back. It's a different option to full mudguards that I can certainly recommend.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Mudguards. Perfectly sensible. I also use raceblades but wish I'd got something to use the fixtures ready and waiting to be used.

Black. Not remotely sensible why the Ninja look is so popular. Especially at this time of year and especially when so many bikes are black too. I'm not a massive fan of the dayglo stuff, so try to keep to lively colourful jerseys. I've got a luminous slash for the really dark hours.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Re: mudguards BadAsh.

I've never liked the look of full mudguards on a road bike, just doesn't look right to me, but I did get myself one of those ass saver mudguards having seen Ciolek using one in Milan San Remo the other year. http://ass-savers.com/

Cracking little idea that really works! They just slide in under your saddle to fit, and will even fold away under your saddle if your commute in has been wet and your ride home is dry for instance. Certainly stops a wet arse and the long tram line right up your back. It's a different option to full mudguards that I can certainly recommend.

Thanks for the suggestion, but one of the main reasons for the mudguards is for the consideration of riders behind me. I do some group rides with the local club and guards are expected over the winter.

I currently have Crud Roadracer Mk2, they are a clip on plastic full guard, but I've been told they flex so much side to side that they offer little protection to the person behind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The nights are drawing in, summer is behind us & spring seems a long way away.

So begins a potentially lively debate on mudguards.

Geeks I salute you, one and all.

I agreed with you 1066 right up to the point you mentioned ass-savers.
Surely the name alone gives them away for what they are.
It's odd marketing naming a product after the place it should be shoved :lol:

As I'm a recent convert to mudguards I'm going to say 'all or nothing'.
Ass-saver, my arse.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion, but one of the main reasons for the mudguards is for the consideration of riders behind me. I do some group rides with the local club and guards are expected over the winter.

I currently have Crud Roadracer Mk2, they are a clip on plastic full guard, but I've been told they flex so much side to side that they offer little protection to the person behind.

They are the ones I use, as do several of my friends (it was a bit of a word of mouth thing amongst us). They seem to do the trick - I am happy wheel sucking in the rain when they are there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly it looks like Zefal have updated my guards to these:-
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Zefal-Shield-R30-Road-Mudguard-Set_63728.htm

So I can't go into bat for them.
My ones have metal 'u-stays' with a solid plastic guard, if these are the same I strongly recommend them.

There is absolutely no flex.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'm itching to add another bike to he stable, but I'm failing to find something that meets the criteria for my CX/winter bike. The 'must haves' I'm looking for are: carbon frame, disc brakes, 11 speed, fixings plus clearance for mudguards and cost under £1,500 (ideally closer to £1k). Preferably the groupset would be SRAM (which I have on road bike) and disc brakes would be hydraulic.

I don't think such a bike exists. There a few bikes out there for £1k that meet the must have criteria except are aluminium (e.g. Planet X London Road, Cannondale CAADX 105, Ridley X-Bow, Canyon & Rose). There's also a Planet X carbon one for around £1k, but it doesn't have the mudguard fixings (also not sure it's 11 speed).

Googling has only led me to forums where people with similar criteria have resorted to ordering Chinese carbon frames and building up the bike themselves.

Has anyone come across the bike I'm looking for?
Looks like these guys have covered your price range here.

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/134473-buyers-guide-cyclocross-bikes-choosing-right-one-you

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having just lost half an hour on it

www.rosebikes.co.uk is definitely one of my favourite bike 'shopping' sites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here