Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Tour de Yorkshire Route out today. Am moving to Ilkley in a couple of months time! Hoping this will start a cycling renaissance in me! Stage 2 goes past one of the houses we're looking at.

View attachment 91717

If living up in that area doesn't inspire you to get out and ride, nothing will! Gorgeous part of the country for cycling....good luck with the move, and I would expect a few Geeks turning up on your doorstep looking for accommodation at the beginning of May if I were you! ;o)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I actually really like this one Stat...harks back to the early '90s when extra bright colours were all the rage with designers, and really stands out from some of today's lukewarm efforts.
The peloton has looked very dreary recently with those not looking like Team Sky wearing red, instead.

At least with Cannondale's luminous green, and now pink, you could see them.
Sadly you could see the riding at the back, but it's something.
Hopefully other teams will get on board and make aerial shots look more vivid.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If living up in that area doesn't inspire you to get out and ride, nothing will! Gorgeous part of the country for cycling....good luck with the move, and I would expect a few Geeks turning up on your doorstep looking for accommodation at the beginning of May if I were you! ;o)

I'll need something to compensate for my lack of albion. Still not sure I'm doing the right thing, it's a huge move. We noticed how many more cyclists there seemed to be up there - probably helped by the fact that the roads seem to be twice as wide.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just reminded myself, I haven't antagonised you all about Jnr's bike, pt #2.

Following on from her getting Jnr the headset cap, I've got Lil Miss Stat to double down and for Christmas get him customised name decals, from this lot:-

https://www.namesonframes.co.uk/

Assuming we do the REMF stadium ride, you boys had better play nice.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'll need something to compensate for my lack of albion. Still not sure I'm doing the right thing, it's a huge move. We noticed how many more cyclists there seemed to be up there - probably helped by the fact that the roads seem to be twice as wide.

As lovely as Sussex is, moving out of the crowded, expensive South East, can't really be a bad thing.

Good on you! Good luck, and I have to say, I'm a tad envious. I'm quite keen to move that way myself if the right opportunity presents itself.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As lovely as Sussex is, moving out of the crowded, expensive South East, can't really be a bad thing.

Good on you! Good luck, and I have to say, I'm a tad envious. I'm quite keen to move that way myself if the right opportunity presents itself.

That was my thinking - handily the nicest parts of Leeds are broadly on a par with Newhaven, house price wise. Anyone moving from Brighton would be able to buy a palace. You won't catch me going to Bellend Road though. Guiseley AFC, perhaps.

Having said that, rush hour in Leeds is a nightmare but I will be commuting by bike / train.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Well that commute could have gone better. Tree sap + very light rain = greasy surface. Trying to corner on it at ~20MPH meant the bike just shot out from underneath me. Covered in road rash and general aches.

24879496_10155900215519120_4120810701825957122_o.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Well that commute could have gone better. Tree sap + very light rain = greasy surface. Trying to corner on it at ~20MPH meant the bike just shot out from underneath me. Covered in road rash and general aches.

View attachment 91792

BUT HOWS THE BIKE?!?

Seriously though, hope the injuries arent too bad & you're up and pedaling again soon. Looks like it was a fair old blow to do that to the helmet!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
BUT HOWS THE BIKE?!?

Seriously though, hope the injuries arent too bad & you're up and pedaling again soon. Looks like it was a fair old blow to do that to the helmet!

Bike is with the mechanic for a check over. Slightly bent front wheel, an I don't do truing, but was rideable so can't be too bad.

I definitely ache that's for sure. Tomorrow morning is really going to hurt I reckon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bike is with the mechanic for a check over. Slightly bent front wheel, an I don't do truing, but was rideable so can't be too bad.

I definitely ache that's for sure. Tomorrow morning is really going to hurt I reckon.

That's a relief and a weight off my mind...

...I'm glad you're ok, as well.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Soon to be arriving in my mancave from Orro.

I'm not sure this is the right place to post a pic of a new commuting bike, but I'm excited and it's got curly bars.

Terra.jpg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Fingers crossed for me please. At long last and with considerable faffing, I now have two torches ready to go. It ain't pretty but with a load of cable ties I'm minimising the risk of escaping lights going under busses. At the mo I'm letting the batteries down ready to recharge fully. Then weather permitting I'll sneak out for a test. Setting myself up for those nice daft o'clock starts.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As I'm still in the middle of my new Winter/Commuter bike build (Winter will be over by the time I'm finished at this rate!) I thought I'd have a look to see what tips I can pick up from old Sheldon.

Cable routing tonight. First I'm hearing of the Criss Cross method on the down tube for gear cables. I've never done this on any of my bikes previously, but the rationale makes perfect sense and so this new bike is going to get this method.

Anyone else got Criss cross cables on their bike and found it to be even smoother shifting and neater up front?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I'm still in the middle of my new Winter/Commuter bike build (Winter will be over by the time I'm finished at this rate!) I thought I'd have a look to see what tips I can pick up from old Sheldon.

Cable routing tonight. First I'm hearing of the Criss Cross method on the down tube for gear cables. I've never done this on any of my bikes previously, but the rationale makes perfect sense and so this new bike is going to get this method.

Anyone else got Criss cross cables on their bike and found it to be even smoother shifting and neater up front?

Bizarrely enough we're up to cabling as well, with Jnr's birthday build.

I got him to put the cranks on, and the freakin nimrod put both arms facing the same way.
Then took 20 minutes staring at it, and my bikes, unable to work out what was wrong. :lol: :facepalm:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bizarrely enough we're up to cabling as well, with Jnr's birthday build.

I got him to put the cranks on, and the freakin nimrod put both arms facing the same way.
Then took 20 minutes staring at it, and my bikes, unable to work out what was wrong. :lol: :facepalm:

Good lad! Mistakes always there to be learnt from :thumbsup:

I shall be borrowing the meatier torque wrench from work this week for that job as my little one only goes up to 20odd NM.

I shall be following this video for that particular job :)

Btw, what were the threads like on the BB of that frame of his? I had to take mine into the LBS to have the threads re-chased :( Got him to face it up while he was at it too, so he ended up putting the cups on for me while he was at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here