Page 2045 of 2048 FirstFirst ... 104515451945199520352042204320442045204620472048 LastLast
Results 20,441 to 20,450 of 20480

Thread: Cycling geeks

1 Not allowed!
    I have just got back home from the Dragon Ride in South Wales today. What a stunning ride, beautiful scenery and even good weather too. I might take a while to recover from all that climbing though! Anyone else on here do it, or done it in the past?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bedsex View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I have just got back home from the Dragon Ride in South Wales today. What a stunning ride, beautiful scenery and even good weather too. I might take a while to recover from all that climbing though! Anyone else on here do it, or done it in the past?
      Good stuff! Which route did you do?

I've got my eye on that ride to do. Quite prepared to pay for a Sportive that's on new roads to me and with stunning scenery like that one offers. Also, keen to try out some long climbs over here to see if I could possibly manage a trip to some mountains abroad in the future.

Also, my Summer bike is a Verenti Rhigos, so doing the Dragon ride on it would be quite a nice touch
      They hang the man and flog the woman
      Who steals the goose from off the common
      Yet let the greater villain loose
      That steals the common from the goose

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by 1066familyman View Post
      Good stuff! Which route did you do?

I've got my eye on that ride to do. Quite prepared to pay for a Sportive that's on new roads to me and with stunning scenery like that one offers. Also, keen to try out some long climbs over here to see if I could possibly manage a trip to some mountains abroad in the future.

Also, my Summer bike is a Verenti Rhigos, so doing the Dragon ride on it would be quite a nice touch
      I did the 2 day tour, so a 55 mile ride on the Saturday and I was due to do the Gran Fondo on the Sunday. However, the climb up the Tumble on the Saturday really did my legs in, so when I got to the 2nd feed station on the Sunday, which was about 70 miles in, the prospect of another 70 miles with some significant climbing didnít exactly appeal, so I dropped a distance and did the Medio Fondo (which was a mere 95 miles). I thought the Saturday climb was tougher than any of those on the Sunday (Bwlch, Rhigos and Devilís Elbow). Thankfully I didnít have to attempt the Devilís Staircase - I donít think I would have got up it. The scenery was absolutely stunning and some of the descents were simply amazing (the pic shows part of one of the descents, I think that one went on for about 4 miles)

0 Not allowed!
      I did the 2 day tour, so a 55 mile ride on the Saturday and I was due to do the Gran Fondo on the Sunday. However, the climb up the Tumble on the Saturday really did my legs in, so when I got to the 2nd feed station on the Sunday, which was about 70 miles in, the prospect of another 70 miles with some significant climbing didnít exactly appeal, so I dropped a distance and did the Medio Fondo (which was a mere 95 miles). I thought the Saturday climb was tougher than any of those on the Sunday (Bwlch, Rhigos and Devilís Elbow). Thankfully I didnít have to attempt the Devilís Staircase - I donít think I would have got up it. The scenery was absolutely stunning and some of the descents were simply amazing (the pic shows part of one of the descents, I think that one went on for about 4 miles)
      Fair play doing the two day tour! With the amount of climbing involved I'd just be looking to attempt the Gran Fondo and nothing else. Even that I think will be a stretch.

I've read about the Devil's Staircase, and the thought of that and all the other climbs in a 300km route just seems mental!

Thanks for the report and the stunning photo. Having had another look at the website, I didn't realise the window for entry was so short. Do other places become available later or does it sell out really quick and that's it, do you know?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by 1066familyman View Post
      Fair play doing the two day tour! With the amount of climbing involved I'd just be looking to attempt the Gran Fondo and nothing else. Even that I think will be a stretch.

I've read about the Devil's Staircase, and the thought of that and all the other climbs in a 300km route just seems mental!

Thanks for the report and the stunning photo. Having had another look at the website, I didn't realise the window for entry was so short. Do other places become available later or does it sell out really quick and that's it, do you know?
      Iíve just had a look myself and I was surprised at how short the entry period for the dragon ride 2019 was and how soon it closes. Iím guessing itís easier to get on via the 3 or 3 day tour (as thatís what we did for this year - I didnít do any of the organising myself). The 2 or 3 day tour registration isnít open yet, so you could go that route if youíre still unsure and just not ride the Saturday, but youíll have to pay more to do that.

0 Not allowed!
      I’ve just had a look myself and I was surprised at how short the entry period for the dragon ride 2019 was and how soon it closes. I’m guessing it’s easier to get on via the 3 or 3 day tour (as that’s what we did for this year - I didn’t do any of the organising myself). The 2 or 3 day tour registration isn’t open yet, so you could go that route if you’re still unsure and just not ride the Saturday, but you’ll have to pay more to do that.
      Ok, thanks. I could do with chatting to some mates about joining me, and so such a short window might be a problem. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. This is certainly a ride I'd really like to do one day though, so thanks for your feedback.

0 Not allowed!
      Ok geeks, I have a fixture list/cycling/WC dilemma.

Working alternate weekends I currently stand to miss 4 of the 2018 home games.
      I can't take them all as holiday, although I should be able to get that number down to 3, but still something will have to give.

The WC final is on the same day as the AITC charity ride, which also happens to be work day.

So do I bin off what will be at least 2, possibly all 3 of the 3 games in order to do the ride and be able to watch England in the final, with Jnr.

Or only miss one home game through to January.
      ďMelancholy is incompatible with bicycling.Ē James E Starrs
      http://app.strava.com/clubs/north-stand-geeks
      Fantasy Vuelta - League Name: NSC Geeks League Code: 68204709

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      Only miss one home game through to January.
      There you go.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      Ok geeks, I have a fixture list/cycling/WC dilemma.

Working alternate weekends I currently stand to miss 4 of the 2018 home games.
      I can't take them all as holiday, although I should be able to get that number down to 3, but still something will have to give.

The WC final is on the same day as the AITC charity ride, which also happens to be work day.

So do I bin off what will be at least 2, possibly all 3 of the 3 games in order to do the ride and be able to watch England in the final, with Jnr.

Or only miss one home game through to January.
      Most of our games will be changed from their present date anyway. Do the ride and the WC Final.

Is it not possible to get someone to swap weekends with you?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
      Most of our games will be changed from their present date anyway. Do the ride and the WC Final.

Is it not possible to get someone to swap weekends with you?
      No swapping doesn't work.
      I already have one half day in the bank which is how I get down from 4 to 3, I could try and use 2 other half days 3 to 1, just hopefully leaving me the odd one.

We can do a sportive on another weekend, but jnr will definitely get an extra kick from doing an Albion one, which then leaves the WC final.
      I couldn't give a rats arse about that, unless of course the unthinkable happens.

Hence the dilemma:-
      How can I possibly make a decision based on England making the WC final?
      We all know they won't but if they did and I miss it because of work, what's the point in carrying on!!
      ďMelancholy is incompatible with bicycling.Ē James E Starrs
      http://app.strava.com/clubs/north-stand-geeks
      Fantasy Vuelta - League Name: NSC Geeks League Code: 68204709