Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Dan Martin may ride for Ireland (we all know hes a Brummie though) but its great to see 3 Brits top the podium today in the Dauphine. Chapeau!

It was really nice to see Dan Martin back to his attacking best and able to make it stick.

On the other side of the coin. How gutting was it seeing Cataldo caught about 400 meters from the line the other day, after being out in front alone for so long.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
How come Garmin records my ride at an average of 18.5, and when downloaded to Strava its 17.9?? I feel cheated. :tantrum:

Strava does some strange things with timings occasionally, specially segments. Yesterday I stopped to see if I could help a fellow rider, who turned out to have a sheared front derailleur and a broken chain- no quick fix there!. When I looked at my strava the segment from Ditchling to top of Stanmer was 8 and a half mins! as it doesn't count pauses in segment times- killed my Beacon ascent time once as I stopped just before the official segment finish with a group of club riders, and ended up with a 35 min time!

Strava accounts for riding time, moving time, elapsed time slightly differently from GPS units so I always get slightly different speeds-and elevation is a whole different game- Hubby and I can ride the same route together and have huge elevation gain differences

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Strava does some strange things with timings occasionally, specially segments. Yesterday I stopped to see if I could help a fellow rider, who turned out to have a sheared front derailleur and a broken chain- no quick fix there!. When I looked at my strava the segment from Ditchling to top of Stanmer was 8 and a half mins! as it doesn't count pauses in segment times- killed my Beacon ascent time once as I stopped just before the official segment finish with a group of club riders, and ended up with a 35 min time!

Strava accounts for riding time, moving time, elapsed time slightly differently from GPS units so I always get slightly different speeds-and elevation is a whole different game- Hubby and I can ride the same route together and have huge elevation gain differences

Have you by any chance noticed a correlation between cost of cycling computer thingie and amount of elevation? What devices do you and your other half use?

I've noticed the more expensive Garmins, and these Wahoos, seem to give higher elevation than the Bryton I use and the basic Garmins some mates use.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Have you by any chance noticed a correlation between cost of cycling computer thingie and amount of elevation? What devices do you and your other half use?

I've noticed the more expensive Garmins, and these Wahoos, seem to give higher elevation than the Bryton I use and the basic Garmins some mates use.

I have Garmin edge 800, he has a Garmin Edge 810, Not sure how they work out elevation during the ride, it may be air pressure which would cause all sorts of problems if there is a weather front moving through whilst you riding. I haven't really checked once the rides have been uploaded to the garmin site or strava to see if it corrects itself, as to be honest my legs tell me when Ive been up a chuffing big hill

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have Garmin edge 800, he has a Garmin Edge 810, Not sure how they work out elevation during the ride, it may be air pressure which would cause all sorts of problems if there is a weather front moving through whilst you riding. I haven't really checked once the rides have been uploaded to the garmin site or strava to see if it corrects itself, as to be honest my legs tell me when Ive been up a chuffing big hill

I hadn't thought about weather being a factor to be honest. I should also point out that I have my gps setting on power save to make the battery last on longer rides, so that's probably a big factor too.

I keep promising myself not to get too hooked up on watching numbers, and at times I can just ignore them completely and not even bother recording rides, so I like your style of not bothering about the numbers but letting your legs tell you the full story instead :thumbsup:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I hadn't thought about weather being a factor to be honest. I should also point out that I have my gps setting on power save to make the battery last on longer rides, so that's probably a big factor too.

I keep promising myself not to get too hooked up on watching numbers, and at times I can just ignore them completely and not even bother recording rides, so I like your style of not bothering about the numbers but letting your legs tell you the full story instead :thumbsup:

I don’t normally bother worrying, but for once I’d managed a half decent speed. It normally takes .1 of a mph off. But .5 that’s quite a bit. He ho!! Not gonna stop me enjoying a ride.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

I think its easy to get caught up in the numbers and stats etc , for most of us I think we are all out to enjoy the ride, maybe get to (maintain) a fitness level, push ourselves a bit, but effectively apart from those on "serious" training plans with specific goals, do we really care too much about wattage, cadence, heart rate, power output over that 50 meter stretch of steyning bostal at the top. I keep track of average speeds, distance but thats about it. I know im getting fitter if I can get up any given hill easier than before, or if ive knocked a couple mins of a favourite route, I know ive lost a bit of fitness when the bibshorts are too tight, and im wheezing more than normal at the top of a hill! Just enjoy the ride!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think its easy to get caught up in the numbers and stats etc , for most of us I think we are all out to enjoy the ride, maybe get to (maintain) a fitness level, push ourselves a bit, but effectively apart from those on "serious" training plans with specific goals, do we really care too much about wattage, cadence, heart rate, power output over that 50 meter stretch of steyning bostal at the top. I keep track of average speeds, distance but thats about it. I know im getting fitter if I can get up any given hill easier than before, or if ive knocked a couple mins of a favourite route, I know ive lost a bit of fitness when the bibshorts are too tight, and im wheezing more than normal at the top of a hill! Just enjoy the ride!

You ought to pay attention to your cadence.
You can find a calculation to work out what your average should be, and riding to that will greatly benefit your overall ride.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You ought to pay attention to your cadence.
You can find a calculation to work out what your average should be, and riding to that will greatly benefit your overall ride.

The tip you gave me about cadence was one of the best cycling tips I've ever had.

Still can't see me ever riding with a HR monitor or anything, but I am very attached to paying attention to cadence when I do record rides.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This seasons main objective finally achieved yesterday. Winter miles really do equal Summer smiles after all :)

Holy shitballs 10 that's off the scale. Looks like you went along the Pilgrims Way and into Aylesford up my way?

I had been toying with a lap of Kent ride one day, but it is well beyond me without some serious training.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Holy shitballs 10 that's off the scale. Looks like you went along the Pilgrims Way and into Aylesford up my way?

I had been toying with a lap of Kent ride one day, but it is well beyond me without some serious training.

A part of the route does indeed follow the pilgrims way, although it doesn't go right into Aylesford. It's a 300km Audax called Oasts and Coasts. The ride starts and finishes in Meopham really. I'd signed up to it with other club mates but was unable to do it in April due to a bug. My main training mate kindly agreed to do it again, but this time we started and finished from home as the route passes through Battle anyway. Only trouble with that is that it means the route now becomes backloaded in terms of hills.

I do love parts of Kent, although some of the coastline is not quite my thing. Riding through Herne Bay is like being transported back to the 70's for instance :lol:

Get your century under your belt in September and you might get bitten by the Audax bug too. A decent Winter after that and then a tour of Kent is then very much on the cards :thumbsup:

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I have just got back home from the Dragon Ride in South Wales today. What a stunning ride, beautiful scenery and even good weather too. I might take a while to recover from all that climbing though! Anyone else on here do it, or done it in the past?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have just got back home from the Dragon Ride in South Wales today. What a stunning ride, beautiful scenery and even good weather too. I might take a while to recover from all that climbing though! Anyone else on here do it, or done it in the past?

Good stuff! :thumbsup: Which route did you do?

I've got my eye on that ride to do. Quite prepared to pay for a Sportive that's on new roads to me and with stunning scenery like that one offers. Also, keen to try out some long climbs over here to see if I could possibly manage a trip to some mountains abroad in the future.

Also, my Summer bike is a Verenti Rhigos, so doing the Dragon ride on it would be quite a nice touch :)

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Good stuff! :thumbsup: Which route did you do?

I've got my eye on that ride to do. Quite prepared to pay for a Sportive that's on new roads to me and with stunning scenery like that one offers. Also, keen to try out some long climbs over here to see if I could possibly manage a trip to some mountains abroad in the future.

Also, my Summer bike is a Verenti Rhigos, so doing the Dragon ride on it would be quite a nice touch :)

I did the 2 day tour, so a 55 mile ride on the Saturday and I was due to do the Gran Fondo on the Sunday. However, the climb up the Tumble on the Saturday really did my legs in, so when I got to the 2nd feed station on the Sunday, which was about 70 miles in, the prospect of another 70 miles with some significant climbing didn’t exactly appeal, so I dropped a distance and did the Medio Fondo (which was a mere 95 miles). I thought the Saturday climb was tougher than any of those on the Sunday (Bwlch, Rhigos and Devil’s Elbow). Thankfully I didn’t have to attempt the Devil’s Staircase - I don’t think I would have got up it. The scenery was absolutely stunning and some of the descents were simply amazing (the pic shows part of one of the descents, I think that one went on for about 4 miles)
bc54894679652764910a4d78b309017d.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I did the 2 day tour, so a 55 mile ride on the Saturday and I was due to do the Gran Fondo on the Sunday. However, the climb up the Tumble on the Saturday really did my legs in, so when I got to the 2nd feed station on the Sunday, which was about 70 miles in, the prospect of another 70 miles with some significant climbing didn’t exactly appeal, so I dropped a distance and did the Medio Fondo (which was a mere 95 miles). I thought the Saturday climb was tougher than any of those on the Sunday (Bwlch, Rhigos and Devil’s Elbow). Thankfully I didn’t have to attempt the Devil’s Staircase - I don’t think I would have got up it. The scenery was absolutely stunning and some of the descents were simply amazing (the pic shows part of one of the descents, I think that one went on for about 4 miles)
bc54894679652764910a4d78b309017d.jpg

Fair play doing the two day tour! With the amount of climbing involved I'd just be looking to attempt the Gran Fondo and nothing else. Even that I think will be a stretch.

I've read about the Devil's Staircase, and the thought of that and all the other climbs in a 300km route just seems mental!

Thanks for the report and the stunning photo. Having had another look at the website, I didn't realise the window for entry was so short. Do other places become available later or does it sell out really quick and that's it, do you know?

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Fair play doing the two day tour! With the amount of climbing involved I'd just be looking to attempt the Gran Fondo and nothing else. Even that I think will be a stretch.

I've read about the Devil's Staircase, and the thought of that and all the other climbs in a 300km route just seems mental!

Thanks for the report and the stunning photo. Having had another look at the website, I didn't realise the window for entry was so short. Do other places become available later or does it sell out really quick and that's it, do you know?

I’ve just had a look myself and I was surprised at how short the entry period for the dragon ride 2019 was and how soon it closes. I’m guessing it’s easier to get on via the 3 or 3 day tour (as that’s what we did for this year - I didn’t do any of the organising myself). The 2 or 3 day tour registration isn’t open yet, so you could go that route if you’re still unsure and just not ride the Saturday, but you’ll have to pay more to do that.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I’ve just had a look myself and I was surprised at how short the entry period for the dragon ride 2019 was and how soon it closes. I’m guessing it’s easier to get on via the 3 or 3 day tour (as that’s what we did for this year - I didn’t do any of the organising myself). The 2 or 3 day tour registration isn’t open yet, so you could go that route if you’re still unsure and just not ride the Saturday, but you’ll have to pay more to do that.

Ok, thanks. I could do with chatting to some mates about joining me, and so such a short window might be a problem. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. This is certainly a ride I'd really like to do one day though, so thanks for your feedback.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok geeks, I have a fixture list/cycling/WC dilemma.

Working alternate weekends I currently stand to miss 4 of the 2018 home games.
I can't take them all as holiday, although I should be able to get that number down to 3, but still something will have to give.

The WC final is on the same day as the AITC charity ride, which also happens to be work day.

So do I bin off what will be at least 2, possibly all 3 of the 3 games in order to do the ride and be able to watch England in the final, with Jnr.

Or only miss one home game through to January.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Ok geeks, I have a fixture list/cycling/WC dilemma.

Working alternate weekends I currently stand to miss 4 of the 2018 home games.
I can't take them all as holiday, although I should be able to get that number down to 3, but still something will have to give.

The WC final is on the same day as the AITC charity ride, which also happens to be work day.

So do I bin off what will be at least 2, possibly all 3 of the 3 games in order to do the ride and be able to watch England in the final, with Jnr.

Or only miss one home game through to January.

Most of our games will be changed from their present date anyway. Do the ride and the WC Final.

Is it not possible to get someone to swap weekends with you?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here