Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Yeah, I did wonder about the extra salt lost in sweating more. I used to take salt tablets as a kid as suffered a lot of cramps when playing football, especially in hot weather. I'm reluctant to take salt tablets these days though. Diet is reasonably healthy and never add salt to meals (except chips when out) or cook with too much.

I've reduced cramps massively on the bike since last Autumn having got a bit fitter through more Winter miles than I've ever done before. In the past, if I'm honest, lack of fitness has caused the cramps when I've then gone and overdone it.

Well 10, I reckon its a combo of sweating out salts in the heat and fitness. Yesterday's ride, was with the benefit of a prophylactic dioralyte and when I first checked how far out I was I was shocked to see 25 miles because I'd not had a sip and felt good. Went on to hit 60 with no unenforced stops. Saddle soreness calmed right down too so maybe the tonne in 3.5 months is viable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers. Food for thought there.

I might start by upping the electrolyte tabs a tad on hot rides, and going heavier on the bananas for the extra potassium. If no change, then play around with salt intake perhaps. Reluctant to go down the salt tablet route, because obviously my diet isn't completely devoid of processed food, and I'm aware of how much salt is in those.

Salt isn't an enemy.
Getting cramp is all but your body crying out for the stuff, because you've sweated every last bit out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well 10, I reckon its a combo of sweating out salts in the heat and fitness. Yesterday's ride, was with the benefit of a prophylactic dioralyte and when I first checked how far out I was I was shocked to see 25 miles because I'd not had a sip and felt good. Went on to hit 60 with no unenforced stops. Saddle soreness calmed right down too so maybe the tonne in 3.5 months is viable.

Oh yeah what are you doing about parking?
One of the chaps on Radar had a good idea, although it will mean finishing the event and doing one one climb!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
We've gone low on salt. Some chinkies are heaving with it though. Having forgot my anniversary again, I offered a chinkie in compensation. Despite a fair amount of hydrating lager I had a mouth drier than our Pm's holy place and had to go for water in the wee hours.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Oh yeah what are you doing about parking?
One of the chaps on Radar had a good idea, although it will mean finishing the event and doing one one climb!

One more climb you mean?

I've booked parking at the circuit. As its well off my manor it seemed the sensible thing to do.

Those feeding stations. You don't actually get off do you? When we stopped to go our separate ways yesterday, I felt a bit light headed so jumped right back on. Only ever get that off the bike so it seems silly to stop.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
One more climb you mean?

I've booked parking at the circuit. As its well off my manor it seemed the sensible thing to do.

Those feeding stations. You don't actually get off do you? When we stopped to go our separate ways yesterday, I felt a bit light headed so jumped right back on. Only ever get that off the bike so it seems silly to stop.

Good luck Moto, when’s the big day??

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Deffo a salt thing, just add a bit to your drink. (I don't do it myself but) http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-improve-performance-research-suggests-161033

I bet you 17p, if you made up 2 bottles, one with and one without added salt, then taste tested you'd know which one had the salt in.

Then, after drinking your first bottle, on the ride, by the time you got to the second you'll not be able to taste the salt.
That's a sure sign that, at that point, you're salt deficient.

Interesting stuff. And there was me thinking pre ride Pringles and a packet of salted peanuts might just do it :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One more climb you mean?

Fair enough, it's a bit of a sod of a climb back up to the racecourse, (and the dog walkers parking) nothing desperately bad but the road quality is appalling, probably one of the worst in Best Sussex.

I hate stopping full stop, I can just about tolerate a feed zone what with it being free and I have pockets, but cake stops really get on my tits. (something you'll find hard to believe what with my ample bosom).

Anyone would think you're trying to goad me into telling the sportive story, about when me and Col rode through a feedzone just as they were coming out with hot sausage rolls and a massive tub of jelly beans.
We didn't get off our bikes but that didn't stop me eating for the next 10 minutes as Col exclaimed 'and where did that come from', but I won't bore you with that story.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Interesting stuff. And there was me thinking pre ride Pringles and a packet of salted peanuts might just do it :lol:

Nah sorry.
A peanut butter sandwich in your back pocket wouldn't go amiss, it'll certainly make you drink more.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think just drinking enough will help. I take an energy drink plus water in the other bottle. You can’t beat water.

Ok, you've gone and done it now :lol:

Last Sunday = 76 miles, high 20degrees heat:
2 x 650ml bidons with electrolyte tabs
Cafe stop = both refilled fully with plain water. 1 black coffee, 1 can of coke.
On way home, both bidons drank PLUS extra stop shop for some elderflower juice :)

Today = 70 miles, mid 20 degrees.

2 x 650 ml bidons with electrolyte tabs. Both drank.
Cafe stop= 1 bidon refill with plain water, 1 black coffee, 1 can lemonade.
No more stops but bidon drank.

Well this is the geeks thread, and you did ask...sort of :thumbsup:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Cafe stop = both refilled fully with plain water. 1 black coffee, 1 can of coke.
On way home, both bidons drank PLUS extra stop shop for some elderflower juice :)

I think you’re drinking too much. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Feck me Colin the Camel might have drunk a third of one bidon.
Even that's taken under duress after we've started on the 'you really should drink more' conversation.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's only this past year I've gone to making do with just one bottle on a ride of less than 30 or 40 miles. I've always conciously drank plenty on rides. Don't think it's a health issue as not constantly thirsty.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You nearly got away with it, 10.

elderflower juice, :facepalm: a real Kent move, that one. :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You nearly got away with it, 10.

elderflower juice, :facepalm: a real Kent move, that one. :lol:

It was Winchelsea, actually :wink:

And I nearly wrote...presse :lol:

Must have been the hot weather making me come over all middle class.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was Winchelsea, actually :wink:

And I nearly wrote...presse :lol:

Must have been the hot weather making me come over all middle class.

Sorry it looks like I had a spell check faux pas :lolol:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Good luck Moto, when’s the big day??

23rd September but I might cancel now [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] has said they don't offer food by bags you grab while riding past. If I wanted to do a few rides on the same day with a couple of sit down meals I could do that myself. I might not stop then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here