Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is a Lezyne chain tool which claims to work with 11 speed Campag. At £18.99, do I go for it, or go for a less hassle KMC chain I wonder?
Sounds like bollox to me.
Just go with KMC and be done with it.
If nothing else their chain link makes them a piece of wee-wee to fit.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sounds like bollox to me.
Just go with KMC and be done with it.
If nothing else their chain link makes them a piece of wee-wee to fit.

Yeah, which does bring into play the third option of using the KMC quick link (about £8) on the Campag chain. If I try selling the Campag chain I'm going to probably lose about that on its original cost anyway.

Looks like I have more research and thinking to do. Either way, this little kid won't be riding his new bike on Christmas Day now :cry:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on Stat, how did the maiden ride go. Did he enjoy it??

Yeah he loved it, we only popped down to the seafront, along and back.
As said the gears are only 'functional' at the moment and he's got to get used to a 10 speed standard double, so still plenty of coaching to be done.
Although that said, I told to 'give it some' when we straightened up at the seafront and he was off like a scalded cat.

Who knew 0% body fat was good for cycling. :shrug: :lol:

Oh and the bike now has his personalised name decals, as well as the headset cap...

...bring it on!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Gonna give this fella a crack at the big prize:-

Art's getting a bonus ball go with me now. Not sure he realises that if I fell into a barrel full of nipple's I'd come up sucking my thumb. Or that I'm a complete incompetent, but hey ho, he can have a shot anyway.

I should add that I managed to source a Kmc quick link and after much hand wringing and a looooong afternoon, the Campag chain is on and appears to be the right length.

Wish me luck.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Art's getting a bonus ball go with me now. Not sure he realises that if I fell into a barrel full of nipple's I'd come up sucking my thumb. Or that I'm a complete incompetent, but hey ho, he can have a shot anyway.

I should add that I managed to source a Kmc quick link and after much hand wringing and a looooong afternoon, the Campag chain is on and appears to be the right length.

Wish me luck.
I added in a little of this, as the rear derailleur wouldn't even go past 8, without being pushed across.

I put his bike back up on the stand, this afternoon.
It's so frustrating, I ran through the gears and about 6 random ones are so unbelievably sweet and super smooth.
But the other 4 are really lumpy.
I didn't know where to begin so just lifted the bike down again. :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All gears shifting as they should when I left them yesterday, up on the stand. Quite whether they work as well out on the road remains to be seen.

Just bar tape to wrap now and she's ready for her maiden ride :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Voila!

20171228_125509-1.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great effort 1066, chapeau. :clap2:

Thanks SB.

Just took her around the block, managing to avoid ice and frost pockets, and I'm well happy.

Only thing I would have liked is 25mm tyres. Full fitted mudguards and 25's was one of the main aims of the project, but those Michelins come up big and so just don't fit. I ended up putting their 23's on instead. I like to think I'm actually running 24's now :)

The blue handlebar tape is a nod to the Albion. Once it gets filthy it'll get the black treatment like all the others.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Much better spread of colours than of recent seasons. General thumbsup from me.

I'd have preferred to see Movistar stick with what they had, rather than going a bit Astana, but I like the something different from Alpecin.

I haven't been keeping up. Did Katusha merge with Alpecin?

Edit:. I'd forgotten that those two had already merged last season.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That looks magnificent! I especially love the mudguards and how long they are. I've recently put a longer tail on my rear to save my ride compadres from looking like coal miners after a few miles!

One question if I may: do you have any plans to protect the frame from cable rub? If so, what's a good product?

Thanks. I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out, although a bit more clearance for bigger tyres would have been nice.

If you zoom in you might be able to see that I have frame protectors on the cables next to the head tube. I also have them on another bike and they work wonders. Cheap as chips too: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-ru...48uk&pgrid=17507340302&ptaid=pla-127997171822

For the back brake and chainstay I used clear stickers. I may even use up some of the others that came on the card around the head tube too as double protection.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Was bored today, and just looking at bikes. Found this monstrosity :eek::eek::eek: and yes it does deserve 3 eeks.

https://www.thetristore.com/product/cervelo-p5x-ultegra-di2?aid=33&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhMifwsG52AIVyL3tCh3a3wkjEAQYByABEgJeYPD_BwE

I particular like how they've made it as aero as fvck, then slapped disc brakes on it :lolol:

Wet commute home today... the TRP long drop rim brakes work a treat and these Michelins in 23mm feel as grippy as can be and a really really comfortable ride. Modern cycling, along with modern football, can do one as far as I'm concerned.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey SB!... if there was any doubt over how lovely the Hunt wheels are, putting Winter wheels on brings everything into sharp focus. I bought some budget Fulcrums and it's like night and day!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey SB!... if there was any doubt over how lovely the Hunt wheels are, putting Winter wheels on brings everything into sharp focus. I bought some budget Fulcrums and it's like night and day!
I still vividly remember my first ride on them, as you say 'night and day'.

I wasn't expecting a massive difference as, afterall, the Hunt's are still 'budget' but it was definitely a 'wow' ride.

Talking of wheels, I forgot to mention.
Before Christmas, I was driving Lil Miss Stat home from school passing a fella seemingly struggling with his upturned bike :rolleyes:
So I did the decent thing, doubled back at the next roundabout and stopped to offer assist.

He (didn't half look familiar) refused my offer of help, or a lift somewhere, instead saying he'll carry on with his dodgy valve which he was inflating with an old school hand pump, and even older rubber adaptor.

Having already noted his bike wasn't cheap but only as I turned to leave I noticed the wheel he was about to mash was a Zipp!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Better late than never I suppose....finally got some winter rubber on the Giant last night (Vittoria Randonneur 28s), after running Ultra Sport 23's so far. Not sure how they will be, but got good reviews, & bought them at a good price from Decathlon - £12.99 each instead of other places I've seen them £30 for one!

For a daily commute along the coast Im sure they'll be fine in the wet and the grime - but will I get away with them year round? Im not a "racer" by any means, & tend to cruise round on my rides rather than go balls out - so wonder if its worth leaving them on there?

Also bought a pair of the B'Twin winter tights while I was in there - they feel super warm, with a fleece lining and reflective piping....bargain at £15.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here