Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Seems like the thread for me, however it could be the case of new kid in the class so no one may be willing to offer any advice.

I have been roped in to do a 46 mile bike ride for charity at the end of september, I also thought it might be a decent way to loose the beer belly I have aquired over the last few months.

So Saturday I set out on a 20 mile bike ride, all was fine for the first 15 miles, but the final 5 I was in so much pain in my right arse cheek, I had padded cycling shorts and I was trying to rest it by standing every few miles or so, But it killed any enjoyment I had. Now that isnt even half of the distance I need to travel.

Any advice for a newbie on what might be the cause or is it a matter of sucking it up and pushing on.

Could be your shorts are crap, your saddle is the wrong shape for you, or simply that muscles you wouldn't normally use or be punished are screaming out at suddenly be asked to perform. If that was your first longer ride then it may well be that those muscles will toughen up over time. If it was sore rather than muscle pain, then you might want a chamois cream which I use for longer rides.

I'd get out a few more times as soon as you can to see if you suffer the same pain. If you do and it doesn't reduce the more you go out, then you might want to consider going to your local bike shop (LBS), avoid Halfords and Evans imho, and see if they can advise you show you some saddle options. Padded cycling shorts also come in varying degree of effectiveness with the best pairs going for over £100, and if yours are just shorts, you might want to upgrade to a bib shorts that are a better fit. If these are in your size, absolute bargain from Decathlon at £12.

You've got plenty of time to prepare yourself for a 46 mile ride. You're doing the right thing going out on 20 mile rides, as you're better off doing more shorter rides than just the odd longer ride. Also remember that after the first hour, your body needs fueling so get in the habit of banana, malt loaf, flapjack etc. in your pocket that you can snack on after an hour - you'll still be burning the calories, but although you'll burn off some fat, the process means you'll have no energy in your legs as the body goes into fatigue, you have to fuel to keep going. And plenty of fluids throughout. I did 37 miles on Sunday and got through 1.5l (my 2 bidons) and had to stop for more.!

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Could be your shorts are crap, your saddle is the wrong shape for you, or simply that muscles you wouldn't normally use or be punished are screaming out at suddenly be asked to perform. If that was your first longer ride then it may well be that those muscles will toughen up over time. If it was sore rather than muscle pain, then you might want a chamois cream which I use for longer rides.

I'd get out a few more times as soon as you can to see if you suffer the same pain. If you do and it doesn't reduce the more you go out, then you might want to consider going to your local bike shop (LBS), avoid Halfords and Evans imho, and see if they can advise you show you some saddle options. Padded cycling shorts also come in varying degree of effectiveness with the best pairs going for over £100, and if yours are just shorts, you might want to upgrade to a bib shorts that are a better fit. If these are in your size, absolute bargain from Decathlon at £12.

The shorts I brought, seem to offer a lot of gooch protection.

I have never cycled before over any long diststance, so I expected some discomfort, however it felt as if my right thigh was completely cramping my left was fine, I repostioned my Sadle after about 3/4quarters of the ride, which releaved some pain, but I think the damage was done. I am aiming to get out again some time this week.

Unfortunatley I dont have the money to invest into all the gear, I am borrowing most so I will just have to grin and bare it and do it for bloody charity. I cant deny I am a little nervous about making it to the 46 mile point in less than 2 months from now.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The shorts I brought, seem to offer a lot of gooch protection.

I have never cycled before over any long diststance, so I expected some discomfort, however it felt as if my right thigh was completely cramping my left was fine, I repostioned my Sadle after about 3/4quarters of the ride, which releaved some pain, but I think the damage was done. I am aiming to get out again some time this week.

Unfortunatley I dont have the money to invest into all the gear, I am borrowing most so I will just have to grin and bare it and do it for bloody charity. I cant deny I am a little nervous about making it to the 46 mile point in less than 2 months from now.

It is a mental barrier when you start and consider a longer ride, but like I edited above, it might be your fueling (before and during a ride) and fluid intake that you need to consider as much as your fitness. Also you might be right about the saddle position, too high and you can hyper extend, too low and you're not using the best of the muscles. I used to go out with allen keys and stop and adjust whenever I could as you should be feeling any pain. There are some really good websites about setting your saddle height - might be the key thing in this instance.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Seems like the thread for me, however it could be the case of new kid in the class so no one may be willing to offer any advice.

I have been roped in to do a 46 mile bike ride for charity at the end of september, I also thought it might be a decent way to loose the beer belly I have aquired over the last few months.

So Saturday I set out on a 20 mile bike ride, all was fine for the first 15 miles, but the final 5 I was in so much pain in my right arse cheek, I had padded cycling shorts and I was trying to rest it by standing every few miles or so, But it killed any enjoyment I had. Now that isnt even half of the distance I need to travel.

Any advice for a newbie on what might be the cause or is it a matter of sucking it up and pushing on.

I started cycling 18 months ago for the first time (since I was a kid) and could barely make my 4 mile commute along the ****ing seafront mate. The muscles in my legs were simply not used to being used. Give it a couple more goes and you should see an improvement. If it continues to hurt then I guess it's a seat/adjustment/height/posture thing?

In other news I did the Donald Hirsch Brighton to Paris route last weekend and could not have had a better time. The most cycling I've ever done, beautiful quiet perfectly surfaced roads, loads of beer and baguettes, the world cup - simply wonderful. Closest we got to any drama was nearly being hit by irate Frenchcyclists at the velodromeI'm genuinely hooked now.

Can any of you more experienced lot personally recommend any more 3 day ish European rides?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It is a mental barrier when you start and consider a longer ride, but like I edited above, it might be your fueling (before and during a ride) and fluid intake that you need to consider as much as your fitness. Also you might be right about the saddle position, too high and you can hyper extend, too low and you're not using the best of the muscles. I used to go out with allen keys and stop and adjust whenever I could as you should be feeling any pain. There are some really good websites about setting your saddle height - might be the key thing in this instance.
I

To be honest, I got up Saturday, didnt eat just cracked on as stupidly I thought I wouldnt have a problem, as I said fitness levels were fine, I just couldnt get through the pain. Maybe its a case of maning up but I haven't ever experianced anything like it in all my years of football and running.

I am going to struggle to get in anything longer midweek, but I hope to get out Saturday, Any suggestions of good routes from the Hove area? Saturday I went out past steyning and back seemed fine and was lovely along the river.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To be honest, I got up Saturday, didnt eat just cracked on as stupidly I thought I wouldnt have a problem, as I said fitness levels were fine, I just couldnt get through the pain. Maybe its a case of maning up but I haven't ever experianced anything like it in all my years of football and running.

I am going to struggle to get in anything longer midweek, but I hope to get out Saturday, Any suggestions of good routes from the Hove area? Saturday I went out past steyning and back seemed fine and was lovely along the river.

Does sound more like a saddle position problem as there shouldn't be that much pain. Out of Hove, the Dyke / Fulking* / Edburton* / Bramber / Coombes / Air port is a good loop. You can go up Hangleton Way go over the footbridge and take the path all the way out to the Devils Dyke Road, then up passed the golf course.

*there is The Royal Oak and The Dog and Sheppard if things get really bad!

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I started cycling 18 months ago for the first time (since I was a kid) and could barely make my 4 mile commute along the ****ing seafront mate. The muscles in my legs were simply not used to being used. Give it a couple more goes and you should see an improvement. If it continues to hurt then I guess it's a seat/adjustment/height/posture thing?

I will try and get out Wednesday and then again Saturday.

Ive never done anything sponsored before which I have felt is out of my comfort zone and to be honest when I signed up to this I thought I could glide through. Seems I was wrong. I am going to at least enjoy the challange and no doubt it will feel brilliant to hit the 46 miles and not come in dead last amoungst the group who have roped me in.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=4667]Munkfish[/MENTION] it certainly sounds like your riding position/saddle height.

There's a bazillion helpful videos like this one:-

On the off chance you have the same as me and the pain is incredibly specific you might have Piriformis syndrome.
Where an annoying muscle is pushing into the sciatic nerve.
It's easily improved by sitting on a tennis ball and manipulating the muscle, I kind you not.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
[MENTION=4667]Munkfish[/MENTION] it certainly sounds like your riding position/saddle height.

There's a bazillion helpful videos like this one:-

On the off chance you have the same as me and the pain is incredibly specific you might have Piriformis syndrome.
Where an annoying muscle is pushing into the sciatic nerve.
It's easily improved by sitting on a tennis ball and manipulating the muscle, I kind you not.

I will give a few things a go and report back.It really was a strange pain I could put my finger on, hopefully the postioning of the seat will improve this going forward.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] I'm just back from doing a little bit of your Velo South route, the bit I worry about most.
As I put 2 & 2 together I paid a little more attention than usual.

You'll leave the start and quickly turn right onto the Lavant straight.
Then left onto the A285, today I joined that road about 2/3rds of the way up, giving me half a mile of 6-8% dead straight climbing.
The other side is a lovely descent with a straight run off.
For the next 2 miles you'll be 'climbing' in the loosest sense of the word as it's only 1 or 2%, but that's a constant.
There's a short 7% kick, then 4% to the top.

That was just the preamble because this is the important bit:-

You're now at the top of Duncton Hill, I've mentioned it before.
It's an arrow straight 12% descent.

Today I clock 49mph going down, woo and indeed hoo - BUT

There's a full 180 degree bend at the bottom, someone will have an accident there, despite the stewards telling you to slow down.

I went round that bend, and the subsequent S-bend at 25mph, halving my speed in a very short distance.

After the S-bend you've got just enough time to think 'that was fun', before being surprised by another tight S-bend.

As said a pooh load of cyclists all excited and riding too fast at the start of an event, being confronted with the Duncton descent is asking for trouble.
It's a great descent, really enjoyable, but it really needs respecting, and at least you won't have cars coming the other way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I will give a few things a go and report back.It really was a strange pain I could put my finger on, hopefully the postioning of the seat will improve this going forward.

If it's so localised look up Piriformis syndrome, it only affects an area the size of a stamp, but by jimminy it's painful.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
A couple of mates did the 100 mile SDW Ride for the BHF on Saturday, so I dug out the MTB & joined them for the last 15 mile section into Eastbourne - then the 20 miles home back over the Seven Sisters.
Absolutely brutal ride, with 2 relentless & sketchy climbs at Windover Hill, then at Jevington. Nasty buggers they were.

Cant wait to get back on the road bike this week...will be a breeze compared to that.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Hey [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] I'm just back from doing a little bit of your Velo South route, the bit I worry about most.
As I put 2 & 2 together I paid a little more attention than usual.

You'll leave the start and quickly turn right onto the Lavant straight.
Then left onto the A285, today I joined that road about 2/3rds of the way up, giving me half a mile of 6-8% dead straight climbing.
The other side is a lovely descent with a straight run off.
For the next 2 miles you'll be 'climbing' in the loosest sense of the word as it's only 1 or 2%, but that's a constant.
There's a short 7% kick, then 4% to the top.

That was just the preamble because this is the important bit:-

You're now at the top of Duncton Hill, I've mentioned it before.
It's an arrow straight 12% descent.

Today I clock 49mph going down, woo and indeed hoo - BUT

There's a full 180 degree bend at the bottom, someone will have an accident there, despite the stewards telling you to slow down.

I went round that bend, and the subsequent S-bend at 25mph, halving my speed in a very short distance.

After the S-bend you've got just enough time to think 'that was fun', before being surprised by another tight S-bend.

As said a pooh load of cyclists all excited and riding too fast at the start of an event, being confronted with the Duncton descent is asking for trouble.
It's a great descent, really enjoyable, but it really needs respecting, and at least you won't have cars coming the other way.

At least there’s a nice soft field to land in at the bottom. I saw a mini had crashed in there once, or it could of been parked.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least there’s a nice soft field to land in at the bottom. I saw a mini had crashed in there once, or it could of been parked.

I was amazed today there wasn't a single car in that field.
I guarantee there's been one 'parked' in it more times than not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1018432722115743745[/tweet]

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
A couple of mates did the 100 mile SDW Ride for the BHF on Saturday, so I dug out the MTB & joined them for the last 15 mile section into Eastbourne - then the 20 miles home back over the Seven Sisters.
Absolutely brutal ride, with 2 relentless & sketchy climbs at Windover Hill, then at Jevington. Nasty buggers they were.

Cant wait to get back on the road bike this week...will be a breeze compared to that.

I’m glad someone has mentioned this as a mate and I did that ride for the BHF last year - I can certainly vouch for its difficulty. Kudos to anyone that does that - I severely doubt we shall again!

I did the etape in France last Sunday. The pros do that stage tomorrow from Annecy to Grand Bornand. Can see the elite climbers attacking at the top of the second (and only HC) mountain as there is a 2km gravel road at the top which could cause mayhem.

Couldn’t recommend the etape enough to anyone who loves cycling. The whole atmosphere and experience was incredible.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Hey [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] I'm just back from doing a little bit of your Velo South route, etcs.

Very kind of you to think of me. Thank you.

I packed in silly descents ages ago. I'm more likely to get cleaned out by another speed merchant now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very kind of you to think of me. Thank you.

I packed in silly descents ages ago. I'm more likely to get cleaned out by another speed merchant now.

That is a possibility although as said, arrow straight with the added bonus of being resurfaced, it's as if they want you to go too fast!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I meant to comment on this, and it's a bit superfluous now, BUT

We pride ourselves on not being like the rest of NSC but I guess you've worked that out already.

#NoQuestionTooStupid.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here