Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not sure there's too many mystery riders on our weekly leaderboard. I know most from here now and a few in person.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've lobbed a nifty in the pot. Quite pleased that I held on to my mate up the climb this morning. First time I've done that. Mind you he did a 1/2 marathon training run yesterday.

Saw some chaps I decided were in the Castelli Ninja club. All in black, top to bottom. That early when the sun is low, a good rear light might not be enough.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Back in the Summer one week we did a hell of a lot of miles, although I have no idea if it was the most.
I'm pretty sure the total mileage ridden got us to Valletta as per:-

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distanceresult.html?p1=1352&p2=255

so that week we did 1263 miles.

FFS Geeks, assuming we're all done, this week we clocked up pretty much the same - 1264.6 miles.
So as before collectively we cycled to:-

Malta.
Some city in Morocco.

50 miles past Reykjavik
or
90 miles short of Kemi, Finland.

We have to coordinate that one week :lol:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Howdy Stat, I'm stepping off the cycling a little bit at the moment. I'm piling into the Marathon training until that event is over.

That said - if there's a specific week everyone wants to try and rack up as many miles as possible, I'll definitely contribute and see how many miles we can clock up between us all!

I'm going to be adding a little bit into the weekly pot after that though, I've taken on a DARLINGTON TO BRIGHTON challenge, that is going to be, literally, mental. I'm going to be planning the route for this one a little bit later on, and I'll be asking for advice and/or suggestions from people closer to the time. It's going to be about 350 miles that one, my plan is to set off on the sunday, realistically it would be Friday before I am home. That will be when the days are a touch longer than in November(!), and probably outside of the football season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Howdy Stat, I'm stepping off the cycling a little bit at the moment. I'm piling into the Marathon training until that event is over.

That said - if there's a specific week everyone wants to try and rack up as many miles as possible, I'll definitely contribute and see how many miles we can clock up between us all!

I'm going to be adding a little bit into the weekly pot after that though, I've taken on a DARLINGTON TO BRIGHTON challenge, that is going to be, literally, mental. I'm going to be planning the route for this one a little bit later on, and I'll be asking for advice and/or suggestions from people closer to the time. It's going to be about 350 miles that one, my plan is to set off on the sunday, realistically it would be Friday before I am home. That will be when the days are a touch longer than in November(!), and probably outside of the football season.
It would seem, whether you know it or not, you're building up for a tilt at LEJoG.

I guess we could earmark a week, my first thought is we should do it to back up one of [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] superhuman efforts.

Anyway it certainly wouldn't be in February, 1264.6 miles is a tremendous effort by all with [MENTION=17085]armchairclubber[/MENTION] leading the way.
When 100 miles doesn't guarantee you a top 3 place only 6 weeks into the year, things are going well.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It would seem, whether you know it or not, you're building up for a tilt at LEJoG.

I guess we could earmark a week, my first thought is we should do it to back up one of [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION] superhuman efforts.

Anyway it certainly wouldn't be in February, 1264.6 miles is a tremendous effort by all with [MENTION=17085]armchairclubber[/MENTION] leading the way.
When 100 miles doesn't guarantee you a top 3 place only 6 weeks into the year, things are going well.

LEJoG? I just want to lead the way in the NSC League on Strava! :blush:

I cycle to work most days - it's a shame you can't record multiple events simultaneously on Strava. I'd like to get the full days cycling in one event, rather than cycling to work and then running at lunch and cycling home. The cycle has to be broken into two, so I haven't been bothering, but I'd like a fairer tally of how many miles I'm cycling per week.

I'm getting a bit concerned about Boris' chain, admittedly it's completely on me. He's my first proper bike, I'm not taking the sort of care over him that I should be. How often should I be lubricating his chain? He needs a good wash too, I might get myself down to Halfords tomorrow (or the Cyclewand fellas on London Road) and snap up some chain lubrication and bike cleaner. I also think the brakes might need changing, my reactions are catlike but it's always a gamble flying down Islingword Road, at some point I won't quite make the stop!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I cycle to work most days - it's a shame you can't record multiple events simultaneously on Strava. I'd like to get the full days cycling in one event, rather than cycling to work and then running at lunch and cycling home. The cycle has to be broken into two, so I haven't been bothering, but I'd like a fairer tally of how many miles I'm cycling per week.

I'm getting a bit concerned about Boris' chain, admittedly it's completely on me. He's my first proper bike, I'm not taking the sort of care over him that I should be. How often should I be lubricating his chain? He needs a good wash too, I might get myself down to Halfords tomorrow (or the Cyclewand fellas on London Road) and snap up some chain lubrication and bike cleaner. I also think the brakes might need changing, my reactions are catlike but it's always a gamble flying down Islingword Road, at some point I won't quite make the stop!
LEJoG, is just me being a tit, ignore me.
I should have just written Land's End to John O'Groats.

I'm also guilty of not taking appropriate care of my bikes.
My hack was a bit rough and looking filthy, so it finally got a full strip down clean.
TBH I did it with White Spirit, and it comes up a treat.
Although I wouldn't be surprised if other geeks tell me off.

Your chain should have a joining clip.
Basically one different looking link that you push together in order to take it apart.
I just fold the single strip of chain into a jam jar with WS give it a shake and good as new.
You'll need to re-lube with Finish Line Wet Lubricant (Green), as it's winter.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

You really need to clean your chain every week, especially in this weather. Take it off, and wash it in warm water and washing up liquid, then re-lubricate. .And while you're at it, clean the rest of your bike too!

Also, have you got one of those tools that measures chain stretch? Essential kit - when it gets too long it needs changing, leave it too late and the cassette will need changing too.

And if you think your brake blocks need changing, they probably do...but it's possible that your brake cables need changing too (or instead) as they tend to stretch.

Have you developed that special relationship with a LBS yet? Get your chain cleaner from Halfords, get your advice from a Local Bike Shop!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
You really need to clean your chain every week, especially in this weather. Take it off, and wash it in warm water and washing up liquid, then re-lubricate. .And while you're at it, clean the rest of your bike too!

Also, have you got one of those tools that measures chain stretch? Essential kit - when it gets too long it needs changing, leave it too late and the cassette will need changing too.

Are you serious! Take it off every week? I never take mine off - I try to give it a good gt85 spray and wipe down most rides.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Are you serious! Take it off every week? I never take mine off - I try to give it a good gt85 spray and wipe down most rides.

Very serious! Seriously serious!

Since they introduced those chains that come apart so easily I have been doing this. Before this, I always found it a struggle to keep the chain clean.

Only takes five minutes, and keeps it running smoothly. I'd imagine that it saves me money too.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Very serious! Seriously serious!

Since they introduced those chains that come apart so easily I have been doing this. Before this, I always found it a struggle to keep the chain clean.

Only takes five minutes, and keeps it running smoothly. I'd imagine that it saves me money too.
I probably need to buy a tool to get the quick link undone first! Was a right bugger to get on with pliers.

In the market for tyre recommendations - I know you love the rubianos PM but mine have worn through and lost all traction already.

Anyone recommend something around 20 quid, rolls ok but need to withstand some shitty cycle paths?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I probably need to buy a tool to get the quick link undone first! Was a right bugger to get on with pliers.

In the market for tyre recommendations - I know you love the rubianos PM but mine have worn through and lost all traction already.

Anyone recommend something around 20 quid, rolls ok but need to withstand some shitty cycle paths?

Yeah, I have the tool. Impossible to get the chain off without it.

Were your Rubinos 'Rubino Pro'? I don't work for Vittoria, honest, but they have served me so well, in some really shitty conditions, and they're 40% off at Wiggle just now.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yeah, I have the tool. Impossible to get the chain off without it.

Were your Rubinos 'Rubino Pro'? I don't work for Vittoria, honest, but they have served me so well, in some really shitty conditions, and they're 40% off at Wiggle just now.
Yes, rubino pro. Strava tells me I've done 2,300 miles on them. Maybe I'm expecting too much.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My LBS man added a link that just comes apart when pushed together.
It shows how little I do it because I just assumed these were standard these days.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
just watching "dragons den" and someone is doing a pitch for bike horn's
does anyone on here use any type of horn on their bike?
i was just interested

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill

Not sure if link will work but tredz appear to have Gatorskins (not the folding ones, recommend non folding anyway tougher) for about £22 most sizes.
Continental 4 season very good too if you can find near that price

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Continental...aign=Adwords&gclid=CP7DmNny5MMCFYnHtAody0IApw

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here