Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not a Sky fan at all. Aside from anything else, Brailsford's level of arrogance just seems to step up and up with each interview. Today's one
, when asked if other teams can improve, is yet another shining example.

Having said that....

Well done G! :clap2:

He's always come across as a very genuine bloke and really likeable character. And above all, he's done so much hard work for others and now really deserves this win. Chapeau!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I am so pleased for G.

Like most people, I have always wanted nothing but the best for him. He is a genuinely likeable and humble guy, who has always given everything in support of others. By far my favourite sportsman.

And it's great to have nobody question his ability when it comes to bike handling, for once.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I like Brailsford. A confident, straight talking winner.

Always a bone of contention in the UK when someone is a both a winner and not shy about it. Other countries such Australia and America instead lap it up. Lewis Hamilton, Wiggins, Rooney, Lampard, Naseem Hamed, Froch, Joshua, also fell into this category, where some of their own countrymen hope they fail. It's a funny old country.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Always a bone of contention in the UK when someone is a both a winner and not shy about it. Other countries such Australia and America instead lap it up. Lewis Hamilton, Wiggins, Rooney, Lampard, Naseem Hamed, Froch, Joshua, also fell into this category, where some of their own countrymen hope they fail. It's a funny old country.

Rooney/Lampard/Naseem Hamed?!- never dominated their sports and don't hold a candle to Team Sky.

Better examples (of dominant managers) would be Ron Dennis, Pep Guardiola and at the time, Clive Woodward. All arrogant, very self confident men.

Agree with you re Brailsford though! Anyone that can p*ss the French off by beating them at their own sport is absolutely fine by me!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm still not ruling out 'G hit by meteor' headline, so and going to keep my powder dry until Le Champs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Rooney/Lampard/Naseem Hamed?!- never dominated their sports and don't hold a candle to Team Sky.

Better examples (of dominant managers) would be Guardiola and at the time, Clive Woodward. Both arrogant, very self confident men.

Agree with you re Brailsford though! Anyone that can p*ss the French off by beating them at their own sport is absolutely fine by me!

I remember watching some Naseem and separately Lennox Lewis fights at Hove Place, where a noisy one third of punters were desparate for the home fighter to be knocked out by their overseas opponents. When I worked in an office with fellow sport loving colleagues, several prayed for Wiggins, Cavendish, Hamiton to crash or lose.

I'm always patriotic about British sporting winners.

I wonder if this marmite attitude to great home sportsmen is a very British thing?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I remember watching some Naseem and separately Lennox Lewis fights at Hove Place, where a noisy one third of punters were desparate for the home fighter to be knocked out by their overseas opponents. When I worked in an office with fellow sport loving colleagues, several prayed for Wiggins, Cavendish, Hamiton to crash or lose.

I'm always patriotic about British sporting winners.

I wonder if this marmite attitude to great home sportsmen is a very British thing?

I'm sure, if you are old enough, you would have felt the same in the pubs watching Eubank back in the day. I watched his fights in bars around the country, and many wanted him to lose. Another fine example of an arrogant winner!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
What were the crimes of Lennox, Wiggins, Cavendish, Andy Murray, Froch?

Lennox-Canadian? But to be fair, still a lot of love for him around.

Wiggins-a lot of love for him at the time (SPOTY). Shown himself to be a bit of a t**t since.

Cavendish- childish tantrums?

Andy Murray-Scottish.

Froch-no idea.

Add to that Froome, as per Lennox/Murray-not English.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My problem with Brailsford is not that he's a winner. I can admire a lot of winners in sport and accept that you need a certain attitude to make yourself a winner.

What I don't like about Brailsford is the way that he always suggests that all his success is due to working harder and being smarter than those he's competing against. Others are too stupid/lazy to get the refuelling right, pay attention to the 'marginal gains' or travel the world going to conferences and learning from other sports. Not once does he ever mention the budget.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My problem with Brailsford is not that he's a winner. I can admire a lot of winners in sport and accept that you need a certain attitude to make yourself a winner.

What I don't like about Brailsford is the way that he always suggests that all his success is due to working harder and being smarter than those he's competing against. Others are too stupid/lazy to get the refuelling right, pay attention to the 'marginal gains' or travel the world going to conferences and learning from other sports. Not once does he ever mention the budget.

He was also a proven winner with British olympic and world championship cycling.

Until he appeared on the scene, we were also-rans other than rarities like Boardman.

Funding was never guaranteed, only coming with medals. His brilliance, turned it into a virtuous circle.

Not a Rupert Murdock dollar in sight.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

I lap it up you can add to that Daly Thompson, Alex Ferguson, Arsen Wenger. If Peter Sagan was British our media would be full on hate for him the same they did for Cavendish.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I lap it up you can add to that Daly Thompson, Alex Ferguson, Arsen Wenger. If Peter Sagan was British our media would be full on hate for him the same they did for Cavendish.

Nailed it.

Britain has always had the jealous, wanting the successful and confident knocked down a peg or ten.

On a positive, the quiet majority love UK sporting heros.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That would take out the entire race, so he would still be the winner on count back!

Relax!!

There speaks someone who hasn't put 'Geraint Thomas crashes' into Youtube

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here