Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Does the strength of the greeting depend upon where you are and when?

What about those lonely winter evenings when you're in a country lane, its dark and the rain is relentless. You see another rider's light coming towards you and both belt out a cheery "Good Evening!". There's a place in my repertoire for that greeting.

On the other hand I completely ignore all other riders if I'm in the rush hour in London as I pass several hundred!

I think it comes down to volume. There is a point where quantity will naturally result in the salutation to other rider stopping.

However, if one comes into contact with another rider and there is no other rider within 100 metres, then it should be a requirement to say 'hello'.

As Ken Ho comments on the Velominati site, there should be more rules in place to ensure that the community acknowledges one another. Ken says, "Thou shalt always acknowledge another rider. Ignoring other riders is not cool, especially if they have offered a greeting, and suggests that your head is too far up your arse."

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That is the way it should be in life. [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] you old cynic! :wave:

The never to be forgotten shout to a full cycling train heading into Seaford 'need any help boys' when taking the front of their group. Me and [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] in disbelief at this free run on the wheel we were having ruined as they accelerated away...

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The never to be forgotten shout to a full cycling train heading into Seaford 'need any help boys' when taking the front of their group. Me and [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] in disbelief at this free run on the wheel we were having ruined as they accelerated away...

And Hamilton was wearing torn shorts, looking like a right tramp. He's bloody mental.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And Hamilton was wearing torn shorts, looking like a right tramp. He's bloody mental.

I still chuckle at the way he did it too, it wasn't like he was showing some effort crouched over the hoods or on the drops, he was upright holding his top bars like he was Mary Poppins, and that they were going far too slow for his liking. I seem to remember we were burying ourselves just to keep up. It was a quality bit of early bike enthusiastic lunacy. And funny.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My only recollection of [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] is waiting patiently at a roundabout while hoping every car in West Sussex stops moving, with his bloody right knee still sticking out. :lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If anyone is after some decent quality gear at sensible prices, head over to www.sportpursuit.com

My mate has introduced me to it, and they have some terrific cycling gear on there (as well as other sports stuff)

Seconded. A mate put me onto it also, specifically pointing me to Rivelo gear. He wasn't wrong! It's bloody lovely clothing for the price!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The one thing I don't quite understand is that you all seem to think there's something wrong with being a cynical elitist bellend. :shrug:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] gives a big wave, shouts "Good morning old chap," and smiles broadly.

So do I because it is important to be polite. But if I get nothing back, I say a word beginning with C because its important to display your disapproval of impoliteness.

Prendas have bolloxed the Eddie M shirt. Now comes with a full length zip. I hate that on a T.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But you've got to love a full length zip.

Anyhoo less is definitely more when acknowledging, it's what defines us a noble men of lycra.

All you happy clappers might as well buy an old VW Beetle.
You'll feel right at home while masturbating a fellow owners ego as you drone on, chapter and verse, about the 'old girls' history. :lolol:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I was being helpful! You and [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] are just takers!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1025667665778618368[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had a bit of a 'geeks' ride today.

A rider in the opposite direction gave me a full 'hand off bars' wave.
This caused me to :rolleyes: and mentally say 'Hamilton Tw@t'.

After my chuckling died down I naturally admonished myself for being a miserable, rude, elitist, bellend and promised to not make that association again.

Well that only lasted an hour or so - so that's gonna stick.

Then 5 miles from home I was struck by some early onset cramp, a first time for everything.
I got home fine, but both legs knotted up before I had time to rehydrate, happy days.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I had a bit of a 'geeks' ride today.

A rider in the opposite direction gave me a full 'hand off bars' wave.
This caused me to :rolleyes: and mentally say 'Hamilton Tw@t'.

After my chuckling died down I naturally admonished myself for being a miserable, rude, elitist, bellend and promised to not make that association again.

Well that only lasted an hour or so - so that's gonna stick.

Then 5 miles from home I was struck by some early onset cramp, a first time for everything.
I got home fine, but both legs knotted up before I had time to rehydrate, happy days.

Karma.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well I had the interesting situation of Sir Julian taking the lead to slow the pace down this morning. It felt most odd.

I also must have overdone the pre ride hydration because I had to stop for a leak. Honestly can't recall the last time I did that.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well I had the interesting situation of Sir Julian taking the lead to slow the pace down this morning. It felt most odd.

I also must have overdone the pre ride hydration because I had to stop for a leak. Honestly can't recall the last time I did that.

I stop for a leak every 15-20 miles!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here