Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1 - Nope :lol:

2 - I fookin loves my now year old Hunt wheels.
Chainreaction have Neutrons £150 more than my Hunts https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...season-aero-road-wheelset-1420g-28deep-22wide there's absolutely no way the Campags are £150 better.

The other day I gently spun the front wheel, but couldn't wait long enough for it to stop rotating.

When researching custom wheels, I seem to remember a builder close to you, Hastings or Eastbourne, that very nearly got my money.
I don't know if those are built on site, as Hunt's are handbuilt in the Far East, but they might be worth a look.

Hunt wheels can go clincher or tubeless, as yet I'm not brave enough for tubeless.

I currently have Vittoria Rubino slick tyres on them, £15 a tyre, never a problem, although as you'd expect with a slick tyre they aren't too happy when I do something stupid.
(Thursday I descended to the second left off Brittens Lane ( [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] will know exactly what I'm about to say next) carrying far to much speed into the left turn I hoped there wouldn't be a car coming the other way, as I needed to whole road
There was.
Locked up which tail-whipped the back out causing me to pass the car on it's inside, on the grass verge - I had a mild case of Tourettes :lol: :facepalm: )

Anyhoo on my winter bike I have Schwalbe Durano's.
All being well I'll soon be buying a pair of Hunt wheels for that bike too.

The Fulcrum Racing SeventySeven wheels that came with the bike feel square by comparison.
(as they should being an entry level disc wheel)

Thanks SB. I'll have a look at that Lewes link but I think I'm sold on the Hunts already. I can't see any reason why these ones aren't going to be perfect for me, especially at that price! https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...elset-1420g-28deep-22wide?variant=35697566214 Are they the ones you have?

Must say, very unprofessional on the cap front :( You do realise you already have a long waiting list on here for a second order?
Maybe if you were to finally win a fantasy comp you'll have a change of heart and a re order by way of celebration :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks SB. I'll have a look at that Lewes link but I think I'm sold on the Hunts already. I can't see any reason why these ones aren't going to be perfect for me, especially at that price! https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...elset-1420g-28deep-22wide?variant=35697566214 Are they the ones you have?

Must say, very unprofessional on the cap front :( You do realise you already have a long waiting list on here for a second order?
Maybe if you were to finally win a fantasy comp you'll have a change of heart and a re order by way of celebration :)
Yep they're my wheels.

I think this mythical long waiting list consists of you and either Banjo or Tricky.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep they're my wheels.

I think this mythical long waiting list consists of you and either Banjo or Tricky.

Good o! That's me decided now then, no need to spend any more time reading endless reviews of several different options :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good o! That's me decided now then, no need to spend any more time reading endless reviews of several different options :thumbsup:
Ah now there's the problem I've just come to address.

The bottom line is they are a lot of money and I don't feel super comfortable someone else spending that, solely on my recommendation.

Now I'm a little scared that perhaps I got lucky and actually no other wheel made by them is fit for purpose. (most unlikely)

Please don't hold it against me if you don't like them, have to return them, and are wheeless for x months.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ah now there's the problem I've just come to address.

The bottom line is they are a lot of money and I don't feel super comfortable someone else spending that, solely on my recommendation.

Now I'm a little scared that perhaps I got lucky and actually no other wheel made by them is fit for purpose. (most unlikely)

Please don't hold it against me if you don't like them, have to return them, and are wheeless for x months.

These sit very nicely in my budget range so no worries there. I'm thinking long term and prepared to pay for a bit of quality but without paying silly money. We know wheels are the best upgrades to any bike, so makes sense to concentrate the budget there. Also, can't go wrong with these with that 60 day money back policy in the very unlikely event I'm not happy with them.

The site is currently saying pre order now for 2nd week July delivery. Unless I've read that wrong, I can live with that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
These sit very nicely in my budget range so no worries there. I'm thinking long term and prepared to pay for a bit of quality but without paying silly money. We know wheels are the best upgrades to any bike, so makes sense to concentrate the budget there. Also, can't go wrong with these with that 60 day money back policy in the very unlikely event I'm not happy with them.

The site is currently saying pre order now for 2nd week July delivery. Unless I've read that wrong, I can live with that.
This isn't going to help my 'please be sure you're happy' post.

I faffed around after I'd committed to the decision (although not as bad as Mouldy Boots did with Jnr membership :lol: ) and that date ticked over another month.

So if you're going for it, make it so.
It'll save the sniveling email I had to write.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This isn't going to help my 'please be sure you're happy' post.

I faffed around after I'd committed to the decision (although not as bad as Mouldy Boots did with Jnr membership :lol: ) and that date ticked over another month.

So if you're going for it, make it so.
It'll save the sniveling email I had to write.

Already gone for it :thumbsup: :banana:

As I say, after reading endless reviews and specs of various Campag, Fulcrum (same company), Mavic etc etc wheels, I'm glad the search is finally over. The braking surfaces on my old Sciroccos are looking very concave indeed now (I've had them years and they were second hand when I got them !), so there was never going to be any hanging about once my mind was made up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Already gone for it :thumbsup: :banana:

As I say, after reading endless reviews and specs of various Campag, Fulcrum (same company), Mavic etc etc wheels, I'm glad the search is finally over. The braking surfaces on my old Sciroccos are looking very concave indeed now (I've had them years and they were second hand when I got them !), so there was never going to be any hanging about once my mind was made up.

That'll give you just enough time to sort yourself out some 25mm tyres.
As I'm sure you noticed that's the size Hunt recommend with their wheels.

I'm a bit gutted for you (and me) my cheapo Vittoria's now seem hard to find.
As much as Gatorskins, or whatever all year rounders you choose, will still give you a great ride.
I'd love to convince you to spend an extra £30 on a pair of Rubino slicks just to get you started.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That'll give you just enough time to sort yourself out some 25mm tyres.
As I'm sure you noticed that's the size Hunt recommend with their wheels.

I'm a bit gutted for you (and me) my cheapo Vittoria's now seem hard to find.
As much as Gatorskins, or whatever all year rounders you choose, will still give you a great ride.
I'd love to convince you to spend an extra £30 on a pair of Rubino slicks just to get you started.

I'll put on my existing Vredesteins first just so I can keep all things equal and feel any difference with the Hunts. The new tyres are really to be fully winter ready and beyond, and for the change to 25mm that everyone these days seems to be raving about.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll put on my existing Vredesteins first just so I can keep all things equal and feel any difference with the Hunts. The new tyres are really to be fully winter ready and beyond, and for the change to 25mm that everyone these days seems to be raving about.

I understand your logic, but spanking news wheels and boxfresh slick tyres is a heady combination.
As said I'm wouldn't be pushing a £40 tyre on you.
But those Rubino's at £30 a pair would be ideal to take your idiot grin all the way up to 11.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I understand your logic, but spanking news wheels and boxfresh slick tyres is a heady combination.
As said I'm wouldn't be pushing a £40 tyre on you.
But those Rubino's at £30 a pair would be ideal to take your idiot grin all the way up to 11.

It's always worth looking on ebay for tyres. You get some very good deals.

I still go for Vittoria Rubino Pros. 23s or 25s, excellent tyres that last a long time, rarely puncture, have little rolling resistance and are light.

EDIT: Or indeed, 28s.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This fella:-

http://dcrwheels.co.uk/

Turns out he's outside Lewes, but you lot are all the same to me.

hahahahaha :bowdown:

Just out of interest I've gone back to this fella, and started reading his 'wheelset suggestions'.

As you can see it starts at £220 ending at £395:-

Road riding:

For this, I am going to assume a rider weight between 50kg and 95kg. Beyond 95kg you may want to look at alternatives. Generally riders below 75kg I recommend 20:24 lacing. Above 75kg I recommend 24:28 lacing. Sets are in ascending price order.

NovaTec A171/F172, Kinlin XR-270 rims, Sapim Race spokes brass nipples(24:28)
£220. Approximately 1660g.

This is a good economical set. The hubs have big bearings, albeit slightly cheap ones. The set is stiff and strong and should last fairly well. It is shimano 11s compatible or Campagnolo compatible, hubs can be black or silver. Considering the quality of a lot of the components, the price is pretty amazing, although all areas of course can be improved upon.

Why not upgrade to Kinlin 22t rims – same weight; £30 extra. So this is a much more appealing set really, because you have a nice wide rim, making for a nicer tyre profile. You also now have the option of running tubeless tyres if you wish.

The obvious upgrade from here is hubset. Upgrade to DCR hubs for an additional £30. You have then a stiffer wheelset, faster freehub engagement, much higher quality bearings, a more comfortable wheelset and lighter weight. You save 87g by switching to DCR hubs. Kinlin 22t/DCR/Race spokes – £280. The H Plus Son Archetype is a popular alternative to the Kinlin adding £20 to the build cost.

Moving up in terms of performance from here you can have black spokes and make them lighter at the same time. It is also worth upgrading to alloy nipples at the same point. Kinlin 22t/DCR/D-light/Alloy in 24/28 weighs 1485g and costs £330.

If you wanted to take the performance up another level, the DCR 23mm alloy rim is the obvious choice, adding a further £30 to the build cost. For that you get a welded joint, super tough spoke bed, lower weight and nice satin finish owing to a shot blasting and anodising treatment.

DCR standard road, DCR 23mm alloy, Sapim D-Light spokes, alloy nipples (20:24)
£360. Approximately 1420g.
As above with CX-Ray spokes (silver)
£395. Approximately 1385g.

Now I have absolutely no idea what any of that means, genuinely not a single word of it.

But guess what wheels I'd buy...

...yep £395 - Tell me you wouldn't do the same.

What a quality bit of writing/propaganda. :bowdown:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If 'Wheel Chat with Stat & the Familyman' has got you stroking your chin, staring off into the middle distance, while checking behind the sofa cushions for coins, I have a further caveat from my conscious which is currently screaming 'it's other peoples money'.

Like 1066 my Hunt wheels replaced a well worn, battle scarred, set of entry level wheels.
As great as I think my (our) Hunt wheels are, I was driving a Reliant Robin and upgraded to a brand new 5-series BMW.
I'm sure if I already had a 3-series I'd still be pleased, but the upgrade wouldn't have been so eye opening.

Sorry about the clunky metaphor it is early!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here