Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Afternoon chaps.

I'm on the lookout for a new pair of top quality shoes.
Sadly my bank account says 'so', so if anyone happens to see any 'too good to be true' discounted shoes let me know.

Ta muchly.

Oh and none of your Decathlon shite. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wiggle seem to have a few deals.

Yeah I'll cover all the usuals, Ribble always seem to like a shoe bargain.
Just thought I'd ask on the off chance a pair popped up out of know where.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah I'll cover all the usuals, Ribble always seem to like a shoe bargain.
Just thought I'd ask on the off chance a pair popped up out of know where.

So I went on holiday last year and forgot my shoes so ordered a pair of dhb ones from Wiggle as I thought I'd have a cheap pair for winter weather. The difference between my cable fastening specialized shoes and the dhb felcro straps and the overall comfort is easily the £60 price difference between the shoes. I have these in 2013 version. . Not that you were asking for a shoe recommendation as such.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHLUCKSTA/luck-star-road-shoes

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Did I just hear G say in his post race interview?...“ We were low in numbers”.

If so.....:rotlf: They had 6 there for the bulk of the stage!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cav and Kittel both out of the race today as didn't make the time limit.

Funny how times change so quickly. Neither will be missed, unfortunately.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Incredible stuff from Thomas in the last 10 minutes or so.

Come on Bozza you've had enough annual G man crushes by now to know this will all end in tears.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Cav and Kittel both out of the race today as didn't make the time limit.

Funny how times change so quickly. Neither will be missed, unfortunately.

That's a shame but they know the score. Its really lighting up now up top.

Yesterday's girls' La Course was really good. AVV is in some form. I've decided to be a fan of Cecilie UT and she went well too.

Anyway, my 'ride every other day' cunning plan is confusing the funk out of me and my body. Yesterday, a rest day, I felt a bit drained. This morning, the car seemed a good idea. Rode in and anyway made it up the leg/lung buster with a couple of gears to spare.

Fukkas are vandalising my new commute with that terrible road surface as well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Come on Bozza you've had enough annual G man crushes by now to know this will all end in tears.

Oh, I'm not suggesting he will win, but he was mightily impressive today.

I assumed the odds would now reflect it being quite close between G and Froome, but not at all...

Froome 2/3
G 3/1
Dumoulin 17/1
Quintana 35/1
Nibali 45/1

Basically the outcome of today's stage is no-one outside the Sky boys is given any chance at all (no surprise there given how it panned out), but Froome is viewed as the chief beneficiary.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh, I'm not suggesting he will win, but he was mightily impressive today.

I assumed the odds would now reflect it being quite close between G and Froome, but not at all...

Froome 2/3
G 3/1
Dumoulin 17/1
Quintana 35/1
Nibali 45/1

Basically the outcome of today's stage is no-one outside the Sky boys is given any chance at all (no surprise there given how it panned out), but Froome is viewed as the chief beneficiary.

Yep there's no reason for the tactics to change through the rest of the race.
Sky's domestiques burn through every other teams workers.
G then taps off the front.
The other rivals have to chase.
Froome then puts them to the sword and closes in on G.

Next Wednesday's stage has been designed to shake that up, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, but mark it in your diary.

You could, if you were being charitable, make a case for Dumoulin's 17/1 being decent odds.
But you'd be assuming something incredibly bizarre happens to G (even money)
TD doesn't lose any more time to Froome. (10/1)
Hoping TD gains 30 seconds on Froome (33/1)
Then beating him in the short ITT (2/1)

Chances are the latter will happen, what's more likely is it won't happen by the time required to take yellow.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Nice gesture from the organizers yesterday to let Rick Zabel continue in the race when he missed the cut off time by just 3 seconds (after trying to help Kittel get as far as he could to the line)
Shame about Cav, but when you are still climbing the Roseland and the front runners are on the final slope to La Rosiere, you know your numbers up.
Personally I wouldn't be surprised if he hung up the wheels at the end of this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So I went on holiday last year and forgot my shoes so ordered a pair of dhb ones from Wiggle as I thought I'd have a cheap pair for winter weather. The difference between my cable fastening specialized shoes and the dhb felcro straps and the overall comfort is easily the £60 price difference between the shoes. I have these in 2013 version. . Not that you were asking for a shoe recommendation as such.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHLUCKSTA/luck-star-road-shoes

Thanks, my Spech carbon comp have an age on yours hence wanting to keep the quality high, very much a case of 'do it once, do it properly'.
I'll definitely have a look at those Spanish ones, just not in orange. Thanks

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Maybe I'm readying too far into things, however I notice G has a bike with yellow detailing today. I get the sky probably had a yellow bike in Froome's size stowed away somewhere, but interesting that they had one for G, too (unless they are both the same size... would Froome want a pre-owned bike?).

I really, really hope G is allowed to stay in yellow.

I also hope he doesn't fall off.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Nice gesture from the organizers yesterday to let Rick Zabel continue in the race when he missed the cut off time by just 3 seconds (after trying to help Kittel get as far as he could to the line)
Shame about Cav, but when you are still climbing the Roseland and the front runners are on the final slope to La Rosiere, you know your numbers up.
Personally I wouldn't be surprised if he hung up the wheels at the end of this season.

I thought it said a lot about Cav that he finished the stage. Most others would have hopped onto the broom wagon, when their fate became clear.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe I'm readying too far into things, however I notice G has a bike with yellow detailing today. I get the sky probably had a yellow bike in Froome's size stowed away somewhere, but interesting that they had one for G, too (unless they are both the same size... would Froome want a pre-owned bike?).

I really, really hope G is allowed to stay in yellow.

I also hope he doesn't fall off.
Even if they didn't have a bespoke yellow bike for G, Pinnarello would have been finishing off today's steed by about 7pm yesterday.

Strangely enough Team Sky don't hear 'ok I'll take a look a give you a ring on Friday', too often. :lol:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I thought it said a lot about Cav that he finished the stage. Most others would have hopped onto the broom wagon, when their fate became clear.

David Millar had a nice bit about this in his blog. He had gone down to the finish to see what had happened to Cavendish and found it fairly deserted apart from Rod Ellingworth, now at Sky but previously the British Cycling junior coach. Millar asked him what he was doing there and he said he was waiting for Cavendish because “I feel responsible for this. I always told him you don’t stop out of respect for the race.”

https://chpt3.com/blogs/journal/well-done-mark

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here