Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on Heano.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All a bit meh really in the end. Alaphilippe got himself a bit boxed in, and no one else was going to beat AVV.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like P I can't bring myself to enjoy a race won by AVV.

I don't know if I zoned out or not, but the race seemed to just end.

Morano (sp) was pulling out a big lead, then AVV won :shrug:

Top tradition stat tipping 4th and 7th.
I'd be richer than Bloom if I was allowed to pick 'winning' bets just outside the more traditional 1-2-3.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Went skiing in Alpe d'Huez recently so like the idea of heading back and taking on the 21 bends. Something like this:

http://www.cyclinginthealps.co.uk/marmotte-tour-7-nights.html

Have you conquered many of these?

I haven't actually climbed any of them! It looks a great week of climbing though and certainly contains a lot of the 'bigguns'.
My list of French climbs has solely been governed by the location of the Etape that year.

In 2013, we didn't get to tick off any really famous ones as we went up:
- Col de L’eschaux
- Col de Pres
- Mont Revard
- Le Semnoz

2014 in the Pyrenees was a little more profitable:
- Col de Marie Blanque
- Col du Tourmalet
- Hautacam
- Col de Spandelles
- Col du Soulor

Hopefully this year back in the Alps will (at least) contain the following:
- Col du Chaussy
- Col du Glandon / Croix de Fer
- Col du Mollard
- La Toussuire
- Col de la Madeleine
- Lacets de Montvernier

From all that it looks like we'd only be able to compare notes on the Madeleine, Chaussy and Glandon if you go for that week's schedule...

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Like P I can't bring myself to enjoy a race won by AVV.

I don't know if I zoned out or not, but the race seemed to just end.

Morano (sp) was pulling out a big lead, then AVV won :shrug:

Top tradition stat tipping 4th and 7th.
I'd be richer than Bloom if I was allowed to pick 'winning' bets just outside the more traditional 1-2-3.
Yes, same here but he seemed to win that with ease. Reeled in Moreno so easily then kicked again and won the sprint.

First tr*****on today! Missed out on winning my age group by 5 seconds - now I really wish I hadn't bothered with socks.

Felt I could have pushed much harder on the bike but didn't want jelly legs on the run but felt I could have. Transitions were dodgy, mucked up getting on the bike and went the wrong direction on the run!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Poxy weather. Not been out at all this weekend.

Bike is in for service. I predict replacement pads, chain and cassette.

Hoping to start Friday commuting again soon.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Very much enjoyed watching the tour of Turkey today - it looked beautiful going to watch the highlights this week and then next weekend we have the Tour de Yorkshire with my home town featuring. Not long now till the Giro which this year will be the first time I properly watch it. Hopefully the weather will pick up soon and I can get out myself after work

Mar 12, 2008
I haven't actually climbed any of them! It looks a great week of climbing though and certainly contains a lot of the 'bigguns'.
My list of French climbs has solely been governed by the location of the Etape that year.

In 2013, we didn't get to tick off any really famous ones as we went up:
- Col de L’eschaux
- Col de Pres
- Mont Revard
- Le Semnoz

2014 in the Pyrenees was a little more profitable:
- Col de Marie Blanque
- Col du Tourmalet
- Hautacam
- Col de Spandelles
- Col du Soulor

Hopefully this year back in the Alps will (at least) contain the following:
- Col du Chaussy
- Col du Glandon / Croix de Fer
- Col du Mollard
- La Toussuire
- Col de la Madeleine
- Lacets de Montvernier

From all that it looks like we'd only be able to compare notes on the Madeleine, Chaussy and Glandon if you go for that week's schedule...

Wowzers, still a very impressive list of climbs. What was the toughest of all of those? Does the altitude make a big difference? I'll probably hire a bike to avoid the faff of buying a bike box and lugging mine over. I'm considering end of Aug/Sep as it'll hopefully be a bit cooler.

I've been asked to go to Ibiza and Vegas with mates, not sure what they'll make of me cycling the Alps instead!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lost my cycling mojo at the moment, both riding and watching, but looking forward to watching Nibs attack today to see what will come of it.

I know what you mean. I got into my lycra late this morning, pumped up my tyres...then put my bike away again.

I know I'm getting a bit stuck record on this, but I still reckon a blast of speed is great for chasing the blues away.

30 mins hell for leather, job done.
Obviously it doesn't matter how fast you ride, just so long as when you finish you can't get off the bike for a few minutes while slumped over your handlebars.

Just get the blood pumping and endorphins flowing.

Last edited:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I know I'm getting a bit stuck record on this, but I still reckon a blast of speed is great for chasing the blues away.

Obviously it doesn't matter how fast you ride, just so long as when you finish you can't get off the bike for a few minutes while slumped over your handlebars.

I find it hard to get out, but once I'm out I'm glad I've got out. If that makes sense.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

That's all very well, but when you're coughing your guts up just from a 2 mile commute for weeks on end it sort of starts taking the fun out of things :( I'm still trying to get a few rides in where I can though.

Enjoyed a gentle charity ride on Sunday, but last weeks chaingang wasn't enjoyable at all (which is unusual as I've got right into those chain gangs now). Talking of which, they filmed some of last weeks one:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
That's all very well, but when you're coughing your guts up just from a 2 mile commute for weeks on end it sort of starts taking the fun out of things :( I'm still trying to get a few rides in where I can though.

Enjoyed a gentle charity ride on Sunday, but last weeks chaingang wasn't enjoyable at all (which is unusual as I've got right into those chain gangs now). Talking of which, they filmed some of last weeks one:

Brilliant! Loving the spaghetti western music too. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're right, I should have added 'if you can'.

We've had a double hard b*****d of a bug going round this winter.
Those that have had it are saying it's hanging round for a month sometimes 2.
Getting into their chest and heads.
Maybe because it's not been too cold it's not been knocked out.

My mate Colin was suffering with it for what seemed like ages, it just slowly wore him down.
Pretty grim stuff.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
You're right, I should have added 'if you can'.

We've had a double hard b*****d of a bug going round this winter.
Those that have had it are saying it's hanging round for a month sometimes 2.
Getting into their chest and heads.
Maybe because it's not been too cold it's not been knocked out.

My mate Colin was suffering with it for what seemed like ages, it just slowly wore him down.
Pretty grim stuff.

Think that is the one I had. Still not right even now, needing ten hours sleep a day to feel vaguely human, even after I have been feeling mostly better for ten days now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Think that is the one I had. Still not right even now, needing ten hours sleep a day to feel vaguely human, even after I have been feeling mostly better for ten days now.
I usually take these things with a pinch of salt, esp in my delivery office where many will go sick because the wind changed direction.
But so many people have clearly been laid low for so long even a cold hearted misery like myself has taken notice.

There's definitely been a lot of fatigue attached to the bug.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've been having ongoing chest infections for the past few years now and only now has the doc finally given me antibiotics ( done chest x rays and spirometric test). Always it lasts for a few months at a time and comes back about two or three times a year. I think because I've upped my cycling miles since just before Christmas, plus now is the annual big push on the allotment and at work too it's all finally got the better of me I think. Have to see if the antibiotics will finally shift it or just leave me with a super bug for the future to not look forward to.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've been having ongoing chest infections for the past few years now and only now has the doc finally given me antibiotics ( done chest x rays and spirometric test). Always it lasts for a few months at a time and comes back about two or three times a year. I think because I've upped my cycling miles since just before Christmas, plus now is the annual big push on the allotment and at work too it's all finally got the better of me I think. Have to see if the antibiotics will finally shift it or just leave me with a super bug for the future to not look forward to.
Persistent cough and fatigue are pretty typical of viral infections. There is good evidence that antibiotics make no difference to anything less than 3 weeks in duration.

They are bloody annoying though and all the more frustrating that there's little you can do about them!
I usually take these things with a pinch of salt, esp in my delivery office where many will go sick because the wind changed direction.
But so many people have clearly been laid low for so long even a cold hearted misery like myself has taken notice.

There's definitely been a lot of fatigue attached to the bug.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Persistent cough and fatigue are pretty typical of viral infections. There is good evidence that antibiotics make no difference to anything less than 3 weeks in duration.

They are bloody annoying though and all the more frustrating that there's little you can do about them!

I've pretty much agreed with my doctor as I'm not really a pill popper and believe doctors are just there to comfort the patient while nature just heals you with time anyway (in terms of coughs and colds and the like anyway). But this ongoing chest issue has finally got to me mentally as it's so frustrating how it just goes on and on. I think the least I can do is give the antibiotics a go now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here