Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Clearly I need to find my 'winter head' fast.

I've not been able to fit any rides in, for a couple of weeks.
This afternoon was the time, but I got delayed.

'Oh well I can still do an hour'.
There I am stood outside the front of the house, all ready to go, surrounded by gloom, I just thought 'nah', and headed back in.

Poor poor form.

I've bottle climbs, but never ducked out of a whole ride. Hope never to face that. That said, I'm in a tricky place right now. Looks dodgy in my region tomorrow morning.

As to 'wintering' my last 2 rides have been long sleevers.

Really wanna ride in Spain now. Oh and delighted with today's win.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Been in bed all week with back spasms, a good week to get the bike serviced, going stir crazy though, using a flippin' bed bowl :eek: itching to get out for a ride and be good to meet with some geeks sometime soon in mutual territory :) fear that working weekend nights may make it difficult but will keep an eye out if that's ok

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I've bottle climbs, but never ducked out of a whole ride. Hope never to face that. That said, I'm in a tricky place right now. Looks dodgy in my region tomorrow morning.

As to 'wintering' my last 2 rides have been long sleevers.

Really wanna ride in Spain now. Oh and delighted with today's win.

Sunday looks better for a ride.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, seeing as how I'm being picked up at 4.45am to go to Silverstone, that's me knackered. :shootself
That's only 2 hours earlier than I went out last Sunday!

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Oi [MENTION=13467]JoePrecious[/MENTION] if that is even your real name, anywhere else on NSC, but not here on geeks. :down:

I've just been reading through the last couple of pages trying to figure our what I've done. I can only assume one of those thumbs down was me - if it was it was totally accidental and I didn't even know I'd done it.

To be honest, I'm guilty of doing what you did on more than one occasion...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just been reading through the last couple of pages trying to figure our what I've done. I can only assume one of those thumbs down was me - if it was it was totally accidental and I didn't even know I'd done it.

To be honest, I'm guilty of doing what you did on more than one occasion...
Yeah it was you fat fingered freak :lolol:

Poor form on Geeks to thumbs down, that was possibly the first ever, and look what you started.
If a post requires a thumbs down, you've gotta man up and write 'thumbs down'. :lol:

It's on page 47 of your Cycling Geeks Handbook.
Conduct code ruling 83, subsection Gamma, title thumb usage.

Thanks [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009

Poor form on Geeks to thumbs down, that was possibly the first ever, and look what you started.
If a post requires a thumbs down, you've gotta man up and write 'thumbs down'. :lol:

My head is suitably hung in shame...

I shouldn't even be in here anyway, I have a bike ride tomorrow preceded by a swim and followed by a run.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

No worries. I've been terrible since my little accident. It's way too windy and we've just bought a house so a lot of other things to do! May try to cycle to the Amex but more likely just the way back.

oh, my bike is still in need of a lot of work too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Been in bed all week with back spasms, a good week to get the bike serviced, going stir crazy though, using a flippin' bed bowl :eek: itching to get out for a ride and be good to meet with some geeks sometime soon in mutual territory :) fear that working weekend nights may make it difficult but will keep an eye out if that's ok

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get well soon. Shame our work patterns don't match up very well or else we could get out more often together. Evenings are always my best bet because of work, and at this time of year especially, although it's cooled down nicely now, because of waiting for the temperatures to drop. Weekends are sometimes goers for me too. If you're happy to keep waiting up for me, I'm more than happy to show you more nice little climbs out East.

The thing that's stopped me most getting out on my new (secondhand) Verenti has been a lack of motivation coupled with getting myself pissed off with this Bryton Rider. The latter sounds silly to be pissed off about but it's annoying me. Ever since I put the cadence sensor on I've had nothing but grief in that I can't seem to get all functions working when going out for a ride, even though I have had them all working together on test runs around the block. It's either cadence sensor and nothing else or all the other stuff with the cadence switched off. At the moment I'm opting for cadence sensor and let the phone record all the other data. Funny how it feels weird though not being able to see your speed etc whilst riding once you've got used to using cycling computers.

Anyone of you lot with your garmins ever had problems with cadence sensors and what not that might also translate to a Bryton? I've soft reset the whole device, several times, and rescanned the cadence/speed sensor several times too but all to no avail :(

Shame about NSC's finest having that fall today. Reckon he could have won that stage and brought some sparkle back to what's been a very poor Vuelta for Garmin so far.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My head is suitably hung in shame...

I shouldn't even be in here anyway, I have a bike ride tomorrow preceded by a swim and followed by a run.
That doesn't make any sense.

Why not just have a ride, then a cake.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone of you lot with your garmins ever had problems with cadence sensors and what not that might also translate to a Bryton? I've soft reset the whole device, several times, and rescanned the cadence/speed sensor several times too but all to no avail :(

Shame about NSC's finest having that fall today. Reckon he could have won that stage and brought some sparkle back to what's been a very poor Vuelta for Garmin so far.
Sorry 1066, I did a factory reset on my Garmin, after a long long lay off, and it's been as good as new all summer.

NSC finest cause wasn't helped by the motorbike riding over his wheel :facepalm:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Unfortunately I think that's the reason the garmins are more expensive. They seem pretty reliable and a bit annoying that they have so much market share!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No worries. I've been terrible since my little accident. It's way too windy and we've just bought a house so a lot of other things to do! May try to cycle to the Amex but more likely just the way back.

oh, my bike is still in need of a lot of work too.

What kind of work?, and is it work you're likely to do yourself or take it to a shop for? I like a bit of fettling talk and a good old youtube tutorial. I like to convince myself that I could have been quite happy as a bike mechanic, then I actually do the work, see just how long each supposed five minute job takes me and how many fecks I've thrown into it and realise that there's another delusion I can add to the long list of others.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sorry 1066, I did a factory reset on my Garmin, after a long long lay off, and it's been as good as new all summer.

NSC finest cause wasn't helped by the motorbike riding over his wheel :facepalm:

Yeah, not ideal, and his bike seemed to have a life of it's own spinning away on the floor away from him like that.

Unfortunately I think that's the reason the garmins are more expensive. They seem pretty reliable and a bit annoying that they have so much market share!

Yeah, knew I was taking a gamble on the secondhand Bryton, but as I'm always bargain hunting the price really drew me in. The frustrating thing is that the first ride out with it was great! Easy to use from a zero knowledge base, loving the interface and customisable screens, nothing to fault it at all. It's only now I've stuck the cadence sensor on that the trouble has started, which is a double shame as I'm well into the idea of working on cadence now. Had I thought, sod the cadence idea, then I'd have no problems, but I really want everything singing and dancing as it should be now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here