Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice ride there today SB :thumbsup:. A few others turning in some decent rides today too, and it's only Monday!

Is there something in the air or something?
I'd imagine it's something like:-

quick look at the calendar + a look out of the window = best get some miles in.

pcol

Nov 1, 2010
Right then, newbie geeks in particular.

If you haven't got a decent workstand for your bike yet, then may I point you in this direction:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oypla-Mecha...g+Bicycle+Bike+Cycle+Repair+Maintenance+Stand

I bought this a couple of months ago as replacement for the useless type I had before.

It's bloody amazing!, especially for the price. Given mine plenty of use so far and it remains as solid as when I first got it. Usability is a dream, and stores well too. Can't recommend it enough really. Just read the reviews and you'll see what I mean. Best £28.98 you'll ever spend!

Thanks for that. One bike stand purchased.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for that. One bike stand purchased.

I promise you won't be disappointed :thumbsup:

The stay that clips over your handlebars to stop the front wheel from keep moving is a stroke of genius. I'm sounding like a salesman for this thing now, but it really is that good for the price.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FYI 6 Days in Amsterdam is currently on Eurosport 2.

They just had a durney race, which I'd never seen before, it all looked a bit mad.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
I promise you won't be disappointed :thumbsup:

The stay that clips over your handlebars to stop the front wheel from keep moving is a stroke of genius. I'm sounding like a salesman for this thing now, but it really is that good for the price.

It looks very similar to the one Aldi do from time to time which I can also thoroughly recommend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Out of curiosity, what does one need a bike stand for when one can turn it upside down?!
There speaks a man who thought the spending was over once his bike was bought :lol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Ooh - I know the answer to this one! :)

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#49
Excellent! Just realised I am breaching no. 50, surely Dan from Nam has made beards cool.
Nice ride there today SB :thumbsup:. A few others turning in some decent rides today too, and it's only Monday!

Is there something in the air or something?
Day off, nice weather, couple of slack weeks!
FYI 6 Days in Amsterdam is currently on Eurosport 2.

They just had a durney race, which I'd never seen before, it all looked a bit mad.
Derny riding is so much fun! The fact you have to ride above the blue line because you're going so fast says it all!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Excellent! Just realised I am breaching no. 50, surely Dan from Nam has made beards cooll!

Yeah, me too.

I enjoy 'The Rules' - a true piece of elitist geekery. Utter bollocks though, almost throughout. I can't tell you how many rules I am breaching.

Except Number 5. The five is unbreakable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I certainly fall foul of a fair few rules.
Being a coffee light weight is a major problem I don't think I can do anything about.

I can't remember the last time this joyous event happened:-

Rule #6 // Free your mind and your legs will follow.
Your mind is your worst enemy. Do all your thinking before you start riding your bike. Once the pedals start to turn, wrap yourself in the sensations of the ride – the smell of the air, the sound of the tires, the feeling of flight as the bicycle rolls over the road.

But blimey t'is fantastic when it does.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yeah, me too.

I enjoy 'The Rules' - a true piece of elitist geekery. Utter bollocks though, almost throughout. I can't tell you how many rules I am breaching.

They are great, but open to a little bending!

However, these are unbreakable -

5, 7, 10, 16, 17 (unless outdated), 27, 51
Yeah, me too.

They are great, but open to a little bending!

However, these are unbreakable -

5, 7, 10, 16, 17 (unless outdated),

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Just seen a post on Bike Radar point out that Wiggle are selling the Campagnolo Zonda wheelset for £164, which is 57% off RRP and about £100 cheaper than anywhere else: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset/

Come with both Campag (obviously) and Shimano freehub options (inc 11 speed) and get great reviews on Wiggle: 4.9/5 from 400+ reviews. At under 1600g they are pretty light, so good for climbing.

As wheels are a component that most bike manufacturers seem to skimp on when specing bikes these would probably be a good, reasonably priced upgrade for many.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Just seen a post on Bike Radar point out that Wiggle are selling the Campagnolo Zonda wheelset for £164, which is 57% off RRP and about £100 cheaper than anywhere else: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset/

Come with both Campag (obviously) and Shimano freehub options (inc 11 speed) and get great reviews on Wiggle: 4.9/5 from 400+ reviews. At under 1600g they are pretty light, so good for climbing.

As wheels are a component that most bike manufacturers seem to skimp on when specing bikes these would probably be a good, reasonably priced upgrade for many.

Thanks for the tip as I was thinking of upgrading my wheelset. I imagine they would be a worthy upgrade from Mavic CXP22 rims on Felt hubs? as you mention the wheels on a mid range bike is usually what they skimp on. What difference in riding would I most likely to notice?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Thanks for the tip as I was thinking of upgrading my wheelset. I imagine they would be a worthy upgrade from Mavic CXP22 rims on Felt hubs? as you mention the wheels on a mid range bike is usually what they skimp on. What difference in riding would I most likely to notice?

To be honest I don't have these wheels, my bike came with some Mavic Kysrium Elites, which are pretty decent. You'd be best off reading some of the reviews, bear in mind most of these were written when Wiggle were selling the wheels for £250. One of them did mention that they bought them to replace the CX22 on a Felt Z6 bike.

The wheels are pretty light, this means they should accelerate quicker and will make hill climbs easier. They are supposed to be pretty stiff, meaning they wont flex when you put some power in, sometimes the flex can mean the wheels rub the brake pads. Stronger wheels are also better for heavier riders and are less likely to buckle. They also claim to reduce vibrations, giving a more comfortable ride. In addition, good hubs spin well meaning they maintain speed better, plus go faster when freewheeling descents.

So in summary better wheels can result in a more comfortable and faster ride.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
To be honest I don't have these wheels, my bike came with some Mavic Kysrium Elites, which are pretty decent. You'd be best off reading some of the reviews, bear in mind most of these were written when Wiggle were selling the wheels for £250. One of them did mention that they bought them to replace the CX22 on a Felt Z6 bike.

The wheels are pretty light, this means they should accelerate quicker and will make hill climbs easier. They are supposed to be pretty stiff, meaning they wont flex when you put some power in, sometimes the flex can mean the wheels rub the brake pads. Stronger wheels are also better for heavier riders and are less likely to buckle. They also claim to reduce vibrations, giving a more comfortable ride. In addition, good hubs spin well meaning they maintain speed better, plus go faster when freewheeling descents.

So in summary better wheels can result in a more comfortable and faster ride.

Thanks, sounds good enough to jusitify it to myself and more importantly the wife :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We were on page 5.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here