Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Winter riding is a thing of the past for me. Missus RW got my a Tacx Flux for Christmas, I've been spinning up virtual mountains indoors for the past week, it's rather enjoyable.

No it isn't.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Better late than never I suppose....finally got some winter rubber on the Giant last night (Vittoria Randonneur 28s), after running Ultra Sport 23's so far. Not sure how they will be, but got good reviews, & bought them at a good price from Decathlon - £12.99 each instead of other places I've seen them £30 for one!

For a daily commute along the coast Im sure they'll be fine in the wet and the grime - but will I get away with them year round? Im not a "racer" by any means, & tend to cruise round on my rides rather than go balls out - so wonder if its worth leaving them on there?

Also bought a pair of the B'Twin winter tights while I was in there - they feel super warm, with a fleece lining and reflective piping....bargain at £15.

Whilst I'm happy to go with Winter wheels and best wheels, I do like to run the same tyres all year round. I used to use Vredesteins (Tri comp fortezza) but I'm now giving Michelin Endurance Pro4 a go. Very happy so far with the Michelins and see no reason to change them because I too am no racer.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'd choose it over the rain and high winds we've been having since Christmas, and I can ride after work without having the dig out the thermals, waterproofs, high vis and lights.

Isn't that part of the fun of Winter riding... digging out all the right gear and hoping you've got it right?

I also quite enjoy night riding as sometimes it feels safer with lights as you can see cars coming from further away, and they can see you.

Also, battling through Winter makes me appreciate the warmer and drier weather when it eventually comes. Until it gets too hot, in which case I just wimp out and stay indoors.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Isn't that part of the fun of Winter riding... digging out all the right gear and hoping you've got it right?

I also quite enjoy night riding as sometimes it feels safer with lights as you can see cars coming from further away, and they can see you.

Also, battling through Winter makes me appreciate the warmer and drier weather when it eventually comes. Until it gets too hot, in which case I just wimp out and stay indoors.

No, not for me at the moment. Completely lost my cycling mojo, didn't feel safe and stopped enjoying cycling. Zwift has re ignited my love, but it'll require 20+ degrees and sunshine to get me back out the house.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No, not for me at the moment. Completely lost my cycling mojo, didn't feel safe and stopped enjoying cycling. Zwift has re ignited my love, but it'll require 20+ degrees and sunshine to get me back out the house.

Sorry to hear that. I'd agree that if you've lost your mojo, Winter is probably not the time of year to be trying to find it again.

What has made you feel unsafe? The condition of the roads, idiot drivers or something else?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Sorry to hear that. I'd agree that if you've lost your mojo, Winter is probably not the time of year to be trying to find it again.

What has made you feel unsafe? The condition of the roads, idiot drivers or something else?

Idiot drivers. Last time I rode, I got clipped by one in a van as it overtook me but refused to give me room, its wing mirror hit my shoulder, then I got cut up by another on a roundabout as he went past me in a hurry to go left, I was going straight on and had a 3rd pull out on me. Got home luckily, put the bike away and thought **** that.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Wise choice by your friend there Moto. Congratulations. He won't be disappointed :thumbsup:

The kids bikes here are Decathlon's, and for value for money, they are cracking bikes!

Yeah, he's like me in that he's been on an entry level. He wanted better spec. I told him it may not be a cool brand but he'll get a few approving nods.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Having a play around on Gimp again to do this seasons World Tour race calendar, and get us used to the new jerseys. Not a great effort as art was never my strong point, but it's a start, and you're welcome to it if you want it as your wallpaper.

DSdwMADXkAIAw2J.png

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Which reminds me...Tour Down Under starts Tuesday/Wednesday.

Fantasy League all set up and raring to go. :thumbsup:

Homepage here: https://www.velogames.com/#

League code: 90299789

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which reminds me...Tour Down Under starts Tuesday/Wednesday.

Fantasy League all set up and raring to go. :thumbsup:

Homepage here: https://www.velogames.com/#

League code: 90299789

:lolol: why do you always do this to yourself, every season?

All that means is you're gonna get titsy between now and Belgium because nobody wants to play with you.
Then by the time we're all ready to play you'll have spat your dummy out so far Mark Beaumont couldn't ride far enough to find it.

Well played sir, well played.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:lolol: why do you always do this to yourself, every season?

All that means is you're gonna get titsy between now and Belgium because nobody wants to play with you.
Then by the time we're all ready to play you'll have spat your dummy out so far Mark Beaumont couldn't ride far enough to find it.

Well played sir, well played.

Well YOU can help change that.

Just by picking one team, you could help sad and lonely fantasists have some meaning to their lives. We won't send you any promotional material and 100% of your team selection goes towards helping those less fortunate than yourself. Please, pick up a team sheet today, and make a difference.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah here come the minows looking to hoover up cheap loyalty points. :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah here come the minows looking to hoover up cheap loyalty points. :lol:

I might phone the club later, see how many loyalty points a 1,2,3 on the stage is worth.
Off to a fantasy flyer:rave:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here