Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I had some old lady today shout out of her car window. you shouldn’t be on the road, then cut me right up. I must admit I’m not very proud of my response. Which was, you won’t be around much longer to worry about it. :blush: you’ve got to be cruel to be kind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had some old lady today shout out of her car window. you shouldn’t be on the road, then cut me right up. I must admit I’m not very proud of my response. Which was, you won’t be around much longer to worry about it. :blush: you’ve got to be cruel to be kind.

That reminds me.

The time before last I was in a 'race' with a woman from the Worthing Dome through Steine Gdns past The Bike Store (which has closed down) onto the Aquarena pedestrian crossings.

She got very peed off with me always being on her inside, through the stop/start traffic she finally gave be a mouthful, gesticulated and pulled into the kerb, at the next red light.

I swung out, overtook her, on the outside. :lol:

At least one of us enjoyed themselves!!!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Forgot to say, all the signs are out for the Velo South ride. Can’t believe they’re going down shithandle lane.

Come on you tease; spill the beans.

Who else is doing it it? I'm off in the blue wave.

Without sounding poncey, I've got sprinter muscle type. Happy to mooch up long mild slopes but blow up when it gets steep. For example, my new commute out has a tight and twisty section at the bottom of a dip with a not very long steep bit to follow. You can't get any speed into it so its like starting from a standstill. I'm in the top 22% so not a complete bungle**** but it takes me a little while before I can push again.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Without sounding poncey, I've got sprinter muscle type. Happy to mooch up long mild slopes but blow up when it gets steep. For example, my new commute out has a tight and twisty section at the bottom of a dip with a not very long steep bit to follow. You can't get any speed into it so its like starting from a standstill. I'm in the top 22% so not a complete bungle**** but it takes me a little while before I can push again.

Good luck mate. I think you're on your own. Watch out for tacks and oil puddles.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003

I'm not riding it, but do wish you all the very best for the ride. Hoping you have a fabulous time.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks for the messages but steady on. I've got a full week which is plenty of time for me to muck it all up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Spithandle Lane used to be rough as a badgers bottom, it's recently had what WSCC appear to believe is a full repair.
By that I mean they poured a load of tarmac down and indiscriminately threw a load of stones on top.
In fairness they might have done a better job than usual, or perhaps the Lane was previously so bad bouncing down it on a jackhammer would have still improved it.
Either way it's not too bad now.

You've not got any climbs to really stress about, as said the last one could be worse if they'd taken either of the other 2 ascents.
The climb before that, at Rogate is worse, so if you're up that ok you are all but home and hosed.

Looking at the route they've done a very good job of missing all the proper gits, despite being in spitting distance.

You do have some very nice 'straights' to loosen up your 'sprinters' physique.
Miles 21 to 37 and 52 to 74 ought to be enjoyed, although the latter is likely to be into a headwind.

I'm not riding it, but do wish you all the very best for the ride. Hoping you have a fabulous time.

I'm hoping he wins!

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Ok thanks. Sounds very similar to Butts Brow and Bo Peep over here. Rode Butts Brow again last week and it didn't feel any easier than the first time I did it :-(

This Audax also has Kids Hill on it, among others, but I was a bit meh when I rode Kids Hill before to be honest.

Probably already been posted on here (multiple times...) but this is an good comparison of those climbs: https://roadcyclinguk.com/rides-travel/sportive/ten-best-cycling-climbs-sussex/

I have done all of them and the only one that I couldn't manage on a road bike was Streat Bostal because the surface is so sketchy that I couldn't stand up withiut losing traction (I am a fat *******).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
10, if you don't react the moment you see that 20% sign, you is doomed...

5abac2f08c6f7.jpg

...doomed I tells yer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stop winding him up Stat it's just a lil bump!!! I always stop n take a photo so do a standing start!!!!

Assuming you mean Cob Lane and not some Aldi photo fetish.

That doesn't surprise me a cyclist of your calibre, us mortals are left struggling. :lol:

That 10 climbs article is shockingly badly researched.
I assume those of you in bEast Sussex feel you could easily swap all of yours out for 'better' climbs.
I'd keep Steyning Bostal in 'ours' but that's about it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Phil popped round earlier to show me his new Mason Bokeh, adventure bike, and very nice it is too.
He's put tyres on it Moto can only dream about.

So there he is chatting about the bike, having just come down off The Southdowns Way, saying how great I would be 'sleeping bag on the front, tent on the back, ride to a ferry and head off for the weekend'.

All great in theory, but Phil seems oblivious to the fact he got lost in Angmering Park, thought he was going back to the village only to find himself popping out at Crossbush, some 5 miles in almost three opposite direction. :lol: :facepalm:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Phil popped round earlier to show me his new Mason Bokeh, adventure bike, and very nice it is too.
He's put tyres on it Moto can only dream about.

So there he is chatting about the bike, having just come down off The Southdowns Way, saying how great I would be 'sleeping bag on the front, tent on the back, ride to a ferry and head off for the weekend'.

All great in theory, but Phil seems oblivious to the fact he got lost in Angmering Park, thought he was going back to the village only to find himself popping out at Crossbush, some 5 miles in almost three opposite direction. :lol: :facepalm:

Having a tent on the bike a good idea for him then.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here