Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Most of our games will be changed from their present date anyway. Do the ride and the WC Final.

Is it not possible to get someone to swap weekends with you?
No swapping doesn't work.
I already have one half day in the bank which is how I get down from 4 to 3, I could try and use 2 other half days 3 to 1, just hopefully leaving me the odd one.

We can do a sportive on another weekend, but jnr will definitely get an extra kick from doing an Albion one, which then leaves the WC final.
I couldn't give a rats arse about that, unless of course the unthinkable happens.

Hence the dilemma:-
How can I possibly make a decision based on England making the WC final?
We all know they won't but if they did and I miss it because of work, what's the point in carrying on!! :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ok geeks, I have a fixture list/cycling/WC dilemma.

Working alternate weekends I currently stand to miss 4 of the 2018 home games.
I can't take them all as holiday, although I should be able to get that number down to 3, but still something will have to give.

The WC final is on the same day as the AITC charity ride, which also happens to be work day.

So do I bin off what will be at least 2, possibly all 3 of the 3 games in order to do the ride and be able to watch England in the final, with Jnr.

Or only miss one home game through to January.

I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

What's weekend working again?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No swapping doesn't work.
I already have one half day in the bank which is how I get down from 4 to 3, I could try and use 2 other half days 3 to 1, just hopefully leaving me the odd one.

We can do a sportive on another weekend, but jnr will definitely get an extra kick from doing an Albion one, which then leaves the WC final.
I couldn't give a rats arse about that, unless of course the unthinkable happens.

Hence the dilemma:-
How can I possibly make a decision based on England making the WC final?
We all know they won't but if they did and I miss it because of work, what's the point in carrying on!! :lol:

OK, fair enough, blow out the World Cup Final then, cos England will be nowhere near it.

Personally, I wouldn't miss the World Cup Final for anything.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
I'm wondering if I may be able to give my own trumpet a little parp?
Yesterday I rode mainly in Sussex for about 95 miles with a load of climbing and am feeling it somewhat today. Those hills are no higher than my local playground, but climbing them from the rivers makes them seem huge. All good fun.

Umm, I will whisper that I was on my mtb, as I think that is offensive in this parish!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What a treat on this morning's ride!

A mink skipped across the road just in front of me. Yes, I know they're not native, and the damage they do, but what a lovely creature!

I also saw a yellow wagtail in a field and later, the tallest, almost hairless, mouse I've ever seen. Maybe a male coming to the end of shagging season and on his last legs?, but he was lively still.

The other evening on a ride I saw a pair of buzzards fly out of the woods and down the wooded lane we were riding on. Then later on, another buzzard sat up on telephone cables just staring down at us. To cap the evening off I saw my first ever Little Owl, perched on top of a telegraph pole. What a ride that was!

Anyone else had any prime wildlife spots lately?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Couple of years back we saw a massive white stag. Last year I saw a bird of prey on a telegraph wire with terrific 'trousers'. I'll have a picture of that fella I thought but by the time I'd turned round the scoundrel had effed off.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Couple of years back we saw a massive white stag. Last year I saw a bird of prey on a telegraph wire with terrific 'trousers'. I'll have a picture of that fella I thought but by the time I'd turned round the scoundrel had effed off.

I've seen a fair few deer on rides but never a white stag (should that be white Hart?). You lucky thing!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That reminds me. I also saw two crows and a magpie today in the form of roadkill :(

A very rare sight as corvids are normally too clever to end up as roadkill themselves.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.jpg
Thank you for all those who took part in the HH bike ride raised £8000 for the Kangaroos and £8000 for the air Ambulance
Cheques being handed over.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Anyone else had any prime wildlife spots lately?
Not while cycling but saw a pair of red kites over Ditchling last weekend; not seen them this far south before.

While cycling the best was having a barn owl fly alongside me for a couple of 100 metres very early one morning and the hairiest was being dive bombed by a buzzard.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not while cycling but saw a pair of red kites over Ditchling last weekend; not seen them this far south before.

While cycling the best was having a barn owl fly alongside me for a couple of 100 metres very early one morning and the hairiest was being dive bombed by a buzzard.

A couple of summers back I had a pair of Red Kites eating roadkill on a back road behind Goodwood, as it was so quiet and they were busy I was almost on top of them before they flew off.

I had a blackbird keeping pace with me, within touching distance, for an unnerving amount of time.
It was fascinating to watch it flying at such close quarters.

A pheasant tried to commit suicide by leaping out in front of Colin, in front of me, and a deer tried to kill us by the same method.

The winner though was the sparrow that flew into my shoulder as I had turned my head talking to the guys behind.
It got 'stuck' where my shoulder collarbone and chest all join and the couple of seconds it was there felt considerably longer.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is Cranks the only bike cooperative in Brighton?

Jnr needs a 'new' commute and it'll be good to support a worthy cause at the same time.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Loving the wildlife tales.

Might have to write to the BBC to see if they can do a feature slot on one of the Watches showing how cycling is better for wildlife spotting than driving death machines.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Who the feck shoots up the inside of a horse like that! Complete tossers! Too busy racing to consider others.

We often see horses out on a particular regular club ride route. Standard practice is to call out hello first to get the riders attention and then ask if it's ok to come by.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Who the feck shoots up the inside of a horse like that! Complete tossers! Too busy racing to consider others.

We often see horses out on a particular regular club ride route. Standard practice is to call out hello first to get the riders attention and then ask if it's ok to come by.

Spot on. I then continue to talk gibberish as I pass so the horse knows I'm there.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Anyone know how to hack into Velogames?

Im fed up with Armchair getting every damn race spot on and leaving my teams for dead, so I need to copy his teams from now on!

And there was me thinking I was doing really well being in the top 800 overall all season so far..... ;o)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone know how to hack into Velogames?

Im fed up with Armchair getting every damn race spot on and leaving my teams for dead, so I need to copy his teams from now on!

And there was me thinking I was doing really well being in the top 800 overall all season so far..... ;o)

He's on PED's. :wink:

Actually, he's on PCS, but then so am I and he keeps thrashing me as well :(

My Tour of Suisse team turned out to be an unintended comedy StatBrother team in the end :annoyed:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here