Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Bets for today, some very small stakes punts on Valverde 13-2 e/w; Mollema 33-1 e/w and Vanendert 28-1 e/w.

As someone said earlier Moreno is way too short, as is Gilbert. Not much value on this one I think, hoping that with some more big names riding LBL Sunday that there will be some interesting odds available for that one.

So this morning illustrated one of the big things I like about cycling - the camaraderie.

I'm cycling in to work, very much the amateur cyclist that I am, when I get a rear puncture about 3 miles from work. I have all the gear for changing an inner tube, but have never done it before (although I knew broadly what I needed to do). Not to be put off, the bike gets parked up, I get the wheel off and no sooner have I managed that then a fellow cyclist pulls up and offers a hand. I explain that I've never done it before and he proceeds to do it for me, showing me what he's doing at each stage and telling me things to look out for. He also diagnoses it as a pinch flat likely caused by dodgy rim tape (I had new tyres fitted last week during which it looks like they changed the rim tape). I couldn't thank the bloke enough (it would have taken me a good 20 minutes to do what he did in 5, if I'd managed it at all) but he seemingly didn't think anything of it.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
So this morning illustrated one of the big things I like about cycling - the camaraderie.

I'm cycling in to work, very much the amateur cyclist that I am, when I get a rear puncture about 3 miles from work. I have all the gear for changing an inner tube, but have never done it before (although I knew broadly what I needed to do). Not to be put off, the bike gets parked up, I get the wheel off and no sooner have I managed that then a fellow cyclist pulls up and offers a hand. I explain that I've never done it before and he proceeds to do it for me, showing me what he's doing at each stage and telling me things to look out for. He also diagnoses it as a pinch flat likely caused by dodgy rim tape (I had new tyres fitted last week during which it looks like they changed the rim tape). I couldn't thank the bloke enough (it would have taken me a good 20 minutes to do what he did in 5, if I'd managed it at all) but he seemingly didn't think anything of it.

I can tell you this is not a one off as well, although next puncture he will roll up and start timing you :ohmy:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You realise you are now duty bound to share the love, don't you.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh yes, I definitely will be. Might practice another couple of times first though so that I'm confident I know what I'm doing!
9.9 times out of 10 you'll get waved away, its the camaraderie in stopping that's important.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Judging by the break away today, we might be in a little run of 'Stat predicts results 1 event early'.

Solly will score on Friday and Liege will be a Lampre carve up!!

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Much as i dislike him, he didn't put a foot wrong there. Looked very strong at the end - what price an Ardennes double?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah wanted it and went for it, what a difference 3 days make

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I was hinting at you not joining us there.

Anyway, where are those bike pics?

Not sure you've any interest in my new forest commute!

Here goes with some pics -

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1398281422880.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398281422880.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 53
  • uploadfromtaptalk1398281460490.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398281460490.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 53

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well I know why Zubeldia wasn't at FW today. Nothing to do with his crash in Amstel Gold...he's fine and training in deepest East Sussex. Bloody shot past me just as I sat back down in the saddle and approaching the top of Chick Hill tonight! :eek: Still, had the decency to offer up a "Evening" as he flew by ( his English is very good I have to say) :lol:

Not back in time for the earlier Eurosport FW highlights so I cheated and watched just the last 8km or so on steephill link whilst shovelling pasta down my neck. I knocked him big time on Sunday so only fair to give a big Chapeau! to AVV today. Perhaps he performs better when the pressure is slightly off, as this one probably suits him least compared to AGR & LbL.

Glad I kept my money in my pocket. My bets would have gone on Vanendert @ 25's and Arredondo @ 50/1. Pleased to see Arredondo put in a good showing though for his debut here. One to watch for the future in this race I'm sure. Great to see Dan Martin back in the mix too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
9.9 times out of 10 you'll get waved away, its the camaraderie in stopping that's important.

That's what happened to me on the one and only time I saw someone at the side of the road and offered assistance. He'd just got off the phone and said a pick up was on the way. Had no interest in repairing the puncture - perhaps he already knew about my puncture fixing abilities and wasn't in the mood for a comedy show.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
She looks lovely IL :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Loving the work IL, I do like De Rosa's.

The other day I was wondering (sadly hypothetically) what thoroughbred would join the Stable du Stat next.
I think a De Rosa would feature in my top 5 or so picks.
Although I was a little stumped, as to what THE bike might be, which probably isn't a bad thing as it ain't happening any time soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bets for today, some very small stakes punts on Valverde 13-2 e/w; Mollema 33-1 e/w and Vanendert 28-1 e/w.

As someone said earlier Moreno is way too short, as is Gilbert. Not much value on this one I think, hoping that with some more big names riding LBL Sunday that there will be some interesting odds available for that one.
Oh that's blooming annoying P.
I guess AVV made sure you didn't lose, like me, but nevertheless close to a decent payday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here