Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All opinions, but perhaps there was too much put on such young shoulders. Yates has never gone for a GT podium before, and perhaps they should have been prepared to lose the jersey to keep Yates in the GC mix till the end rather than defend it, or attack for more time from day 6. He had 12 days in pink where he had less rest due to all the media commitments, which all culminated in his dramatic blow up. Did they get too caught up in worrying about the TT rather than the race as a whole. Guess we'll never know. At least we do know we've got another British GT contender waiting in the wings. :thumbsup:

Could have been worse...he could have been flogged to death as a superdom on a certain other team :wink:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As is customary, the Cycling Podcast chaps rather nailed Froome's performance.
Team Sky plotted his break away, they isolated the rest of the favourites asap.
On the break climb the team had 15 support staff with food and drink for Froome whereas Sunweb said 'oh we just had the usual top and bottom team'.

So they ended up with a rider v rider climb one with a full tank of fuel while the other was nursing their engine.

Here's a report from Cycling Weekly:-

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...ncredible-80km-solo-break-giro-ditalia-381279

[tweet]1000448485882294272[/tweet]

The nutrition quotes from Sky I read after that stage did make for good entertainment. Almost as funny as the travel pillows :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The nutrition quotes from Sky I read after that stage did make for good entertainment. Almost as funny as the travel pillows :lolol:

Own mattresses!!

It was all a bit eye rolling right up to the moment Sunweb said they had no provision on the climb, at that point it all got real.
Even more so when other GC riders are losing 10's of minutes or ending up in hospital.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, well that article also says about his strength of character in not taking up that move.

Hardly strength of character, Sky only wanted him, not his brother and they didn't want to split.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Own mattresses!!

It was all a bit eye rolling right up to the moment Sunweb said they had no provision on the climb, at that point it all got real.
Even more so when other GC riders are losing 10's of minutes or ending up in hospital.

Are you saying Ben O'Connor crashed because he lacked the carefully crafted advice of the Sky nutritionists ???

I see Lu Lu Sanchez wasn't so silly. He was taking Sky gels left right and centre! :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you saying Ben O'Connor crashed because he lacked the carefully crafted advice of the Sky nutritionists ???

I see Lu Lu Sanchez wasn't so silly. He was taking Sky gels left right and centre! :lol:
No I was referencing Pinot riding himself into a hospital bed.

Had I got on the climb 3 hours before Froome he wouldn't have had any advantage, I'd have 'Sopranoed' the shite out of all his helpers.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No I was referencing Pinot riding himself into a hospital bed.

I saw he finished yesterday. I haven't caught up with that news yet, and won't check yet as I need to avoid spoilers from today's Bennett v Viviani show.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I see Thomas Dekker has weighed into Sky, the headline being something like 'I just can't trust Sky due to their lack of transparency'.

Surely that message would have a bit more effect if it weren't coming from a rider who's blood you could slice and only got thinned out by his friends in Colombia.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
In Motogull stylee...

Went on a club ride today and felt like crap! I've had a cant of a bug and cold all week and today I felt like a bag of shit!
Even the leg cramps put in an appearance, having not had those since last Summer.

On the plus side, I rode my bike all day in nearly 30 degrees heat, so that's a big achievement for me! ,and meant it wasn't a total bunglecant of a day after all :thumbsup:

Good first effort.

I had a pre ride dioralyte and had no cramps today. Coincidence, who knows? No saddle soreness, but an application of sudacrem to the bawbag. The left one. Always the left one.

I went as flat as possible today and had some confidence boosting no unenforced stops. Pub lunch and cider in the fridge.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Good first effort.

I had a pre ride dioralyte and had no cramps today. Coincidence, who knows? No saddle soreness, but an application of sudacrem to the bawbag. The left one. Always the left one.

I went as flat as possible today and had some confidence boosting no unenforced stops. Pub lunch and cider in the fridge.

You could always try some chamois cream for when you’re riding. Helps the old saddle sore. Sun, cider, what’s not to like.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You could always try some chamois cream for when you’re riding. Helps the old saddle sore. Sun, cider, what’s not to like.

Alternatively, buy a tube of Aqueous cream for less than £2 from any chemist. Works a treat!

The fortune you'll save from not buying something with the word 'chamois' on the fancy tub will buy you a couple more pints of cider :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey a small victory.

At his last track meeting I finally got Jnr there earlier enough to put his bike into scrutineering.
Unsurprisingly his standard double was seriously over geared so they locked off the big front and smallest back rings.

Unbelievably I have actually unlocked them without turning his bike into a unicycle. :clap:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Blimey a small victory.

At his last track meeting I finally got Jnr there earlier enough to put his bike into scrutineering.
Unsurprisingly his standard double was seriously over geared so they locked off the big front and smallest back rings.

Unbelievably I have actually unlocked them without turning his bike into a unicycle. :clap:

New career....?

Attachments

• mpbikerepairman_zpsce14ade1.jpg
    mpbikerepairman_zpsce14ade1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 67

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Morning chaps.

Out with jnr yesterday and he's still oddly scared about descending.

I've ignored it for a while but it's getting out of hand now.

It never was a problem for him on a bike I would have been pooh scared about flying down a hill on, his crappy Carrera with knackered tyres.
But now on his 'fast' bike he descends almost with full brake, to the point that I genuinely believe he can go up hills quicker than come down then (but that's another story).

Any tips on helping him overcome this would be greatly appreciated.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Morning chaps.

Out with jnr yesterday and he's still oddly scared about descending.

I've ignored it for a while but it's getting out of hand now.

It never was a problem for him on a bike I would have been pooh scared about flying down a hill on, his crappy Carrera with knackered tyres.
But now on his 'fast' bike he descends almost with full brake, to the point that I genuinely believe he can go up hills quicker than come down then (but that's another story).

Any tips on helping him overcome this would be greatly appreciated.

Show him clips of Mohoric, Nibs and Alaphillipe descending. Tell him if he's not on their level by this time next month, you're taking his bike away for good and he can go and sit on the naughty step with Wiggins, Pinot and Ciccone :thumbsup:

Oh... and don't show him this picture at any point during the conversation :wink:

Een-mirakel-dat-Alaphilippe-de-tijdrit-heeft-uitgereden-sportnieuws-nl-16196924-756x422.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here